News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Joker was among the best movies of the year. Joaquin Phoenix's acting is definitely Oscar-worthy.

Habbaku

Phoenix definitely deserves an award for the performance, but I can't really commend the movie other than for him.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

The movie was nor great nor bad for me. Phoenix elevates it, certainly, but I didn't find much to chew on.

That said, if we're going to have 1000000000000 superhero movies a year, at least it's good that they try something different.

Habbaku

Agreed on that. I'd rather a dozen more experimental films than another churned-out MCU piece.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Also, my mini-vacation was attending a popular fantasy/horror film fest. Saw a bunch of stuff, a lot of it cheesy and bad, but some pretty great stuff. Besides some Spanish films that you'll probably never see (although "El Hoyo" is a Netflix original so I guess that should be accessible, and it was pretty damn good), "The Lighthouse" by the "The Witch" dude was simply amazing. Most upsetting film I watched in a while. Also pretty ripe for a Savoranola review.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2019, 06:24:55 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on October 04, 2019, 06:18:03 PM
Joker. Solid movie. Well acted. Interesting take on the Batman universe.

Be warned. It's very dark and punctuated with extreme violence. Not for the kids.

How well does it work as the Incel Triumph of the Will?

In this annoying future where where the President is a reality tv star and people smoke E-cigarettes, one of the weirdest features is that we have militant virgins. Not militant virgins like they had in the Crusades but virgins who get flustered when talking to women, run away, and then blame all women for the fact they can't think of anything to say to a member of the opposite sex.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 10, 2019, 03:59:01 PM
Also, my mini-vacation was attending a popular fantasy/horror film fest. Saw a bunch of stuff, a lot of it cheesy and bad, but some pretty great stuff. Besides some Spanish films that you'll probably never see (although "El Hoyo" is a Netflix original so I guess that should be accessible, and it was pretty damn good), "The Lighthouse" by the "The Witch" dude was simply amazing. Most upsetting film I watched in a while. Also pretty ripe for a Savoranola review.

Sitges?

Berkut

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 09, 2019, 07:50:24 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 24, 2019, 02:51:59 PM
No, the plot isn't twisted. It is almost boringly linear in fact. Almost weirdly so given that the framework of the story is a son going to track down his fathers failed mission. [spoiler]You expect there to be some interesting ploy constructs as he learns WHAT REALLY HAPPENED, and it seems to be setting that up, with a mysterious figure who dies leaving a cryptic warning and everything.
[/spoiler]
Its trying very hard to be this serious character study of a character who isn't that interesting, with a dad that isn't that interesting, and they give you a story to carry that character study that is really, really, really not that interesting, and with gigantic plot holes and irrelevant diversion all over the place.

Saw that yesterday. I was hoping for a lot more - and wouldn't have minded the plot holes, and the diversions if they allowed a glimpse into an interesting character. But Brad Pitt's character is basically a two-dimensional stereotype of "abandoned child with daddy issues", and the plot only keeps making that point over and over again. And then, over again.

It's gorgeous, however.

True enough.

That entire shoot out on the moon though? What a waste of incredible cinematography.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on October 10, 2019, 04:45:49 PM

Sitges?

Yup!

I also recommend "Ventajas de viajar en tren" which should probably make it to the Spanish theaters.

Admiral Yi

Six Days.  Iranian embassy in London takeover in 1980. 

They do a pretty good job of padding out a pretty thin plot to an hour and a half or whatever.

One thing the movie does a lousy job of is showing why the terrorists didn't kill more hostages.  In the movie they're huddled in a room for like 15 minutes while the SAS search the other rooms.  Then when the SAS finally get to that room the terrorists just jump up so they can be shot more easily.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2019, 07:02:05 PM
Six Days.  Iranian embassy in London takeover in 1980. 

They do a pretty good job of padding out a pretty thin plot to an hour and a half or whatever.

One thing the movie does a lousy job of is showing why the terrorists didn't kill more hostages.  In the movie they're huddled in a room for like 15 minutes while the SAS search the other rooms.  Then when the SAS finally get to that room the terrorists just jump up so they can be shot more easily.

If your interested

Yi , two good books on the subject are Operation Nimrod by Phillips and Go! Go! Go! by Pearson. Not long reads either.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on October 10, 2019, 04:45:49 PM

Sitges?

The Sitges festival is getting somewhat more famous abroad but I'd like to first to Cutrecon http://cutrecon.com/:D

Syt

El Camino. Felt like a very decent Jesse-centric double episode of Breaking Bad, and a good epilogue/denouement to the series as a whole.

Damn, Todd has gained a few pounds. :D

In Breaking Bad:

At the El Camino premiere with his fiance Kirsten Dunst:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Looks like she's gained a couple too

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

They were great together in Fargo.

-J. R. R. Tolkien