News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 06, 2019, 06:11:01 AM
Inglorious Basterds was very entertaining, though I suspect this crowd would hate it due to it's, uh, ahistorical aspects.

I think people who care about historical accuracy are not going to care about that in IB at all. It totally diverges from actual history, it clearly isn't trying to be "historical" and failing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Better not to try than try and fail?

Well, I suppose that's true of comedy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 06, 2019, 03:07:16 AM
Kill Bill part one is one of the most entertaining movies he's made, imho.

Jackie Brown I like a lot, too.

Yep to both. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Jackie brown I could just never enjoy at all.

Quote from: Berkut on October 06, 2019, 08:43:22 AM
Inglorious Basterds was very entertaining, though I suspect this crowd would hate it due to it's, uh, ahistorical aspects.

I think people who care about historical accuracy are not going to care about that in IB at all. It totally diverges from actual history, it clearly isn't trying to be "historical" and failing.

Yep.
To take another awesome film that isn't historically accurate - a knights tale.

Internet smart guys whinge about the fried chicken legs, modern rock music et al....  But actual historians rather love it for perfectly showing the feel of the time to modern audiences
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Looked pretty good until all the space stuff.  I was really looking forward to a sneak peak into 24th century winemaking technique.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

"This is just three hours of Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen touring vineyards in a vintage car?"

".....yes."
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

I love Inglorious Basterds

Habbaku

Just like with Django Unchained, anyone analyzing IB from an historical perspective is really missing the point.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Original and remake of Psycho.

Vince Vaughan was a very peculiar casting choice for Norman Bates :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I've been watching the expanse.
The first few episodes are slow, I kept stalling on them when I tried to watch in the past, though it does pick up and get rather good. Awaiting imminent shark jump.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on October 07, 2019, 05:00:58 PM
I've been watching the expanse.
The first few episodes are slow, I kept stalling on them when I tried to watch in the past, though it does pick up and get rather good. Awaiting imminent shark jump.

It is my favourite Sci Fi series.  No shark jumping as of yet.  Eagerly awaiting the next season.

HVC

It switches to a totally different show rather unexpectadly. For me anyway. Good show though
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Really like it and LOVE Chrisjen :w00t: :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!