News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

First Reformed. Austere, almost like it was meant to be shot in black and white. Theologically serious. Maybe a little preposterous.

On a Schrader theme, American Gigolo. It holds up. I sort of feel like 80s LA is the perfect backdrop for spiralling panic.

Love, Simon. Well-meaning, solid high-school film. But it needed more jokes to be great.
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Finally got around to True Detective season 1: A+

The Yellow King.... :o :cthulu:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 22, 2019, 02:08:20 PM
Saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night.  For a good portion of the movie, I was like "this movie actually kind of sucks, I can't believe it was nominated for Best Picture" but it grew on me, and at the end I decided I liked it ok.... but I absolutely loved Rami Malek's performance and I think his Oscar was well-deserved.

The glaring historical inaccuracies in the movie irritated me, too.  I am by no means a Queen trivia freak but I knew the 'how they met' scene in the beginning was all wrong, and I knew Queen didn't really break up and then suddenly get back together right before Live Aid (I watched that concert live, in fact, and yes Queen really did steal the show).

Yeah I think it helped I knew very little of the real story of the band.

I will say that it rather blatantly hit all the tropes and expected notes that a movie about a band is supposed to have. Surely not every musical act had the exact same career.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Does Boh Rhap have anything resembling a plot?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2019, 11:29:56 PM

I believe they become the champions, then bite the dust, then rock us.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: 11B4V on September 22, 2019, 07:08:17 PM
Finally got around to True Detective season 1: A+

The Yellow King.... :o :cthulu:

Heh another of the few who actually read The King in Yellow before seeing this show.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Saw Ad Astra yesterday.

I commend them for what they were trying to accomplish.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on September 23, 2019, 08:50:46 AM
Saw Ad Astra yesterday.

A man's reach should exceed his grasp. Or what's a heaven for? - Robert Browning

Note: I haven't seen the movie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2019, 11:29:56 PM

Why yes it does:  A band forms and they're all about the music and share a common vision, but then they find success and their egos tear them apart! :o  Individual band members retreat into their vices and start going their separate ways; but then a terrible tragedy befalls one of the band members! :o The band gets back together, quits drugs and, though sadder and wiser, are all about the music and each other again! :thumbsup:

The movie is worth seeing for Rami Malek's performance as Freddy Mercury, otherwise it's an episode of "Behind the Music" with an even more self-indulgent narcissistic lead singer than usual.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on September 23, 2019, 10:06:36 AM
Why yes it does:  A band forms and they're all about the music and share a common vision, but then they find success and their egos tear them apart! :o  Individual band members retreat into their vices and start going their separate ways; but then a terrible tragedy befalls one of the band members! :o The band gets back together, quits drugs and, though sadder and wiser, are all about the music and each other again! :thumbsup:

Yes indeed. A story as old as time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Disenchanted Part 2 is now up on Netflix.  You know, that Matt Groening's 'it's like Futurama but in a fantasy setting' show on Netflix?  Supposedly this isn't season 2, but rather part 2 of season 1, despite part 1 having been released a year ago.  Part 1 ended on a big cliffhanger

I'm 3-4 episodes in.  It's fun to see how everything unwinds from that big cliffhanger, and I guess I'm enjoying this show.  But what I'm not doing a lot of is laughing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on September 23, 2019, 10:06:36 AM

Right that's what I said :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on September 23, 2019, 08:50:46 AM
Saw Ad Astra yesterday.

?
That means it feels incomplete?  The plot is twisted and convoluted with no end on sight?  Or it's so shallow you see it from a thousand miles away?

Please expand.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

God I hated Bohemian Rhapsody.

It is criminal they had a performance that good in a film that boring and that dull.

Also I hated the heavy thumbprints of all the surviving members. In the film each band member got a moment of writing one (1) hit/famous song and despite being a famous band in the 70s the three surviving members were, apparently, chronically abstemious :bleeding:

Even Mercury doesn't really have any significant debauch.

And I do think the gaywashing criticism is fair, but I also think it'd be interesting to see them as a band navigating Mercury's sexuality. You can't tell me that it just happened in an English rock band of that era and there was never any issues or conflict over it.
Let's bomb Russia!