News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

Buffy and Angel had some heel turns.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on August 26, 2019, 10:52:29 AM
Can't really think of many examples when this has been pulled off well in movies/TV. Michael Corleone?

That is a really good example....presuming you ignore the 3rd movie...which you should.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Walter White is definitely the most recent, believable example that comes to mind. Ditto for Saul Goodman.

It needs something intrinsic to the character to be believable. Rey doesn't have anything like that, or at least nothing that's been showcased to any real degree.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Is Rey supposed to turn out to be a bad guy now?

I so....don't care.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Seems more likely they'll pull a fakeout, or have her go "bad" for maybe half the movie and be pulled back by...mumblemumble. Disney doesn't have the balls to make their main character a villain, even for one movie.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Can't really think of many examples when this has been pulled off well in movies/TV. Michael Corleone? Walter White?

Both of them good examples, and Corleone the only one taking place arguably over the course of a single movie.

I think it may be linked to our difficulty at showing how corruption works. We prefer our vilains already corrupt, or to have been corrupt all along before the big reveal (Or pathologically insane). But corruption is erosion. It takes time to show, and it must be tied to a system that validates, in some way, corrupt action.

Interestingly, the Star Wars prequel had a great setup to show this. It was just stupidly wasted.
Que le grand cric me croque !

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on August 26, 2019, 10:53:32 AM
Lawrence of Arabia?

It's not a villain turn, he just falls to his hubris.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2019, 11:03:40 AM
Can't really think of many examples when this has been pulled off well in movies/TV. Michael Corleone?

That is a really good example....presuming you ignore the 3rd movie...which you should.
It ain't that bad.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 26, 2019, 11:23:41 AM
I think it may be linked to our difficulty at showing how corruption works. We prefer our vilains already corrupt, or to have been corrupt all along before the big reveal (Or pathologically insane). But corruption is erosion. It takes time to show, and it must be tied to a system that validates, in some way, corrupt action.
Harvey Dent in the Dark Knight.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

Like I said the lastest (?) Rey movie, she should have gone bad then. They set it up so they could have easily gone that route, but sadly they did not. A strong female villain would do Star Wars good. But then again so would retirement.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Can't really think of many examples when this has been pulled off well in movies/TV. Michael Corleone? Walter White?

I think both are great examples.

Though I think the Walter White example is maybe slightly different, in that it starts with his corruption (I mean, making meth is pretty corrupt to begin with), but what changes over the course of the series is that he goes over a moral event horizon - when the show starts you think maybe he's a tragically corrupt character (like Michael Corleone) who becomes corrupt under the press of circumstances: a guy who can engage your sympathies, even if you deplore his choices. However, as the series goes on, it becomes clear he's doing what he's doing out of pride, not necessity, and he gradually ceases to be at all sympathetic or tragic; the question them becomes whether he can redeem himself in any way. 

The Corleone case is somewhat different - he appears to have genuinely wanted to avoid the criminality of his family, only to become convinced that his father's philosophy was correct (under the pressure of tragic circumstances) and that you are either an oppressor or oppressed.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Prediction from the trailer: Rey gets possessed by the spirit of Palpatine and Kylo Ren is redeemed in the end by destroying Reypatine. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2019, 11:36:07 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2019, 11:03:40 AM

It ain't that bad.

It has its moments. If it was just a standalone film about a mafia boss trying to go legit then it is alright. It just sucks as a sequel to Godfather Part II.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."