News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on August 24, 2019, 05:32:28 PM
Or just wait until all the episodes are out and do a 1-month subscription...

Usually what I do is that I subscribe only to one of those* depending on which one has more hot stuff at the moment. I.e. I dropped Netflix to get HBO while the last season of GoT ran, then I dropped HBO to watch Stranger Things S3, picked HBO back up to finally finish Leftovers. Netflix usually stays less time in rotation because they upload everything at once and I can just binge the hot shows with 1 month subscription, I wonder if that business model really works for them.

*I also have Prime Video because I have Amazon Prime, and a Spanish streaming service that has a great library of classic/auteur cinema.

Threviel

Once or twice a year I get an offer for a free month on different services, I take those up and get to binge watch stuff for free.

viper37

Quote from: dps on August 24, 2019, 10:13:32 PM
Ah, so it's not actually illegal, just a violation of the company's terms of service.
well, there's something about Copyrights, I'm sure.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on August 25, 2019, 04:02:33 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 24, 2019, 10:10:24 PM
Quote from: dps on August 24, 2019, 08:05:12 PM
Where is it illegal?  If it's illegal in Canada, but legal in the Netherlands, then no one in the Netherlands really needs to worry about Canadian law. 
It is illegal as per the terms of service of Netflix to impersonate an American in other to subscribe to Netflix US from anywhere in the world.

Netflix US is for Americans since the content is licensed to Americans.  Netflix or other countries have only content licensed for users of these countries.

Illegal <> immoral.
If it was legal for someone in the Netherlands to subscribe to Netflix US, than Netflix US would offer its subscriptions to Dutch...  While as it is now, you can not sign in with a Dutch IP, no more than a Canadian IP.

There are ways to circumvent that, but they're illegal and against Neftlix's own TOS.

Technically, it's not about nationality, but where you happen to be watching. I'm not able to watch Netflix while on holiday abroad. Nor am I able to watch Dutch public TV channel streams. I believe using a VPN to use a service I pay for is entirely justified.
That I also use it to download torrents is another matter.  :P

Well, that is what I meant, but I express myself badly... :)

Like I said, morality <> legality ;)

I have no problem with using a VPN to access Netflix US entire catalog.  I'm paying the same price as an American user, but I get only a fraction of the catalog?  Bullshit.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Bet you still take advantage of free health care...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 25, 2019, 08:58:08 PM
Bet you still take advantage of free health care...
not really free, and we do not pay the same price, slightly less, I believe...

Syt

Apparently Rey gets a new lightsaber in the next movie?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

Nah. Likely that's a dream sequence. Or alternate reality.

Red Letter Media has convinced me they're doing time travel, so maybe it's that.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on August 26, 2019, 10:28:17 AM
Nah. Likely that's a dream sequence. Or alternate reality.

Red Letter Media has convinced me they're doing time travel, so maybe it's that.

Well, they did introduce the World Between Worlds in Rebels ....

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/World_between_worlds
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on August 26, 2019, 10:14:39 AM
so shes evil now?

Actually that would be a cool idea.  Of course, judging by the reaction to the end of Game of Thrones, it would go over like lead balloon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Full trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n1T3HxHd7Y

I like the lightsaber duel on the wreckage/ruins of a Death Star.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Oexmelin

Lucas had three movies to show how Anakin becomes evil and it still felt stupid and rushed.

Game of Thrones had 8 seasons to show the evolution of Daenerys into crusading queen, and it still felt artificial and rushed.

It would take amazing storytelling ability to pull that off, in the current context.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

WTF, why are Y-Wings still a thing? They were outdated by the time of A New Hope. :D

3PO with red eyes could be a call out to murderous protocol droid 0-0-0 from the comics, though that one has a black shell.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 26, 2019, 10:38:46 AM
Lucas had three movies to show how Anakin becomes evil and it still felt stupid and rushed.

Game of Thrones had 8 seasons to show the evolution of Daenerys into crusading queen, and it still felt artificial and rushed.

It would take amazing storytelling ability to pull that off, in the current context.

Can't really think of many examples when this has been pulled off well in movies/TV. Michael Corleone? Walter White?