And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2019, 07:00:43 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2019, 04:07:28 PM
Matrix 4 has been announced, with Keanu Reeves and Carrie Ann Moss back at their roles, with one of the Wachowskis as director and writer.

So....unnecessary.

They could pull a Dallas and piss off all the fans. That would be fun to see :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

Matrix: Revisioned? Matrix: Resurrection? Matrix: Reoverdone?

I don't know, I'll go watch it. But I am expecting garbage, despite one of the writers involved being talented.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sophie Scholl

Just finished watching Batman:  The Brave and The Bold on DC Universe.  What a great show!  What an amazing final episode!  I highly recommend it to any DC Silver Age fans.  It is packed to the gills with great stuff primarily from the Silver Age, but also into the Bronze as well.  When characters like Haunted Tank, Kamandi, Ambush Bug, and more show up it is a delight to witness.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on August 20, 2019, 08:18:24 PM

I don't know, I'll go watch it. But I am expecting garbage, despite one of the writers involved being talented.

Why would you watch it? The first one was great (although I wonder if it has aged well, I haven't seen it in like a decade), but the second and third were utter garbage.

Habbaku

Joining in on the cultural garbage fire will be fun.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on August 20, 2019, 08:18:24 PM

You made me look up the attached writers. So they enlisted the Cloud Atlas writer? I'm curious now. Although I guess it will be a mess.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2019, 07:05:42 PM
Think their highest grossing super hero movie recently  was venom  which made around 800 IIRC so Sony can make money. However i assume, perhaps incorrectly, that Disney went high hoping  for a counter offer.

Then again Disney could just buy Sony's movie division lol

Thats surprising.
I absolutely did not notice Venom as it passed through the cinema. Caught a bit of it on TV and felt it was another Fantastic Four.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

I was going to see Venom (Venom and Tom Hardy!) but reviews seemed bad.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Solaris (1972)

In space no one can understand your movie.

Kris Kelvin (what a name) is a psychiatrist who has a hard time connecting with anyone on earth.  He is sent to the space station orbiting the planet Solaris where he meets his dead wife and learns to love again; then things get way philosophical.

Every bit as weird as I remember; (although the pacing seems positively zippy as compared to Stalker.)  There are so many things left unexplained that the audience is forced to make up a large part of the story themselves.   I haven't read the novel; but, from what I understand, Stanislaw Lem's book is about humans contacting something truly alien.  I think Tarkovsky's style works in conveying this alienness.  There are some dud scenes along the way, the one near the end where Snaut and Kelvin discuss life the universe and everything is awful.  Also there are some parts where the narrative contradicts itself (for instance the closing of Solaris is announced in a scene which is supposed to take place twenty years before the beginning of the film; and then Kelvin is sent to Solaris to evaluate if it should be closed down.)  Lem worked with Tarkovsky on the screenplay, but later said that Tarkovsky made "Crime and Punishment" rather than "Solaris."

The film was shot with a limited budget; and so Tartovsky had to make do with not-so-special effects.  My favorite is THE CITY OF TOMORROW sequence in the beginning of the film; which is a shot of the then present day highway that connects Osaka to Tokyo (although that did probably look like the distant future to the residents of the 1970s USSR.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

frunk

Lem's book is excellent but nothing like the movie.  The movie is about self reflection and analysis, while the novel studies how an impossible to understand situation results from our own limitations and how we react to that. 

If you haven't gotten into Lem my personal favorites are The Cyberiad, Fiasco and His Master's Voice.

The Brain

Liked the movie when I saw it as a kid.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: Tyr on August 21, 2019, 12:19:08 PM
Think their highest grossing super hero movie recently  was venom  which made around 800 IIRC so Sony can make money. However i assume, perhaps incorrectly, that Disney went high hoping  for a counter offer.

Thats surprising.
I absolutely did not notice Venom as it passed through the cinema. Caught a bit of it on TV and felt it was another Fantastic Four.

Overseas revenue, which nowadays basically means China.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on August 21, 2019, 05:45:24 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 21, 2019, 12:19:08 PM

Thats surprising.

Overseas revenue, which nowadays basically means China.
It's as if they haven't seen anything from Hollywood in the last 40 years... ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Another World - low budget special effects detract but not as much as the question the show posed for itself in episode 1 but never answered - why did they put a bunch emotionally unstable 20 somethings on that ship?