News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

I tried watching Shape of Water as it has good reviews, but I couldn't get into it, never finished it.

Just watched Jennifer Garner in Peppermint. She plays a wife whose family was killed in a drive by. Courts let the killers go so she disappears, goes off the grid and starts training to fight and with weapons to get revenge on the killers. Formulaic and the usual but I liked it ok and liked her in it.

Admiral Yi

The thought struck me while watching Mindhunter: how long has it been since we've had a serial killer?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 20, 2019, 03:13:58 AM
The thought struck me while watching Mindhunter: how long has it been since we've had a serial killer?

It seems sociopaths go the mass shooting route nowadays? Although I presume it's not the same profile.

Eddie Teach

We still have them, they just get less press.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on August 20, 2019, 03:20:05 AM

It seems sociopaths go the mass shooting route nowadays? Although I presume it's not the same profile.

It's the dumbing down of America. Serial killers need to be calm, cool, collected, unlike mass shooters. I blame Trump.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

I saw the first episode of a show called Jean Claude Van Johnson starring Jean Claude Van Dam as a fictional version of himself. His entire career was a front for being an international mega spy.
Funny sounding premise.
But the execution just comes off like something a kid would make. And not in a fun way.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on August 20, 2019, 09:40:04 AM
I saw the first episode of a show called Jean Claude Van Johnson starring Jean Claude Van Dam as a fictional version of himself. His entire career was a front for being an international mega spy.
Funny sounding premise.
But the execution just comes off like something a kid would make. And not in a fun way.

No JCVD then. That was a surprisingly good film.

crazy canuck

In Canada - two years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%932017_Toronto_serial_homicides

The Larch

Matrix 4 has been announced, with Keanu Reeves and Carrie Ann Moss back at their roles, with one of the Wachowskis as director and writer.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Apparently Sony is recovering the full rights for Spiderman after rejecting a deal with Disney to keep their sharing arrangement, so bye bye to Spidey in the MCU., it seems.

HVC

Yeah. Disney asked for a 50% instead of the 5 they've been getting and Sony walked without a counter offer.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2019, 05:28:22 PM
Yeah. Disney asked for a 50% instead of the 5 they've been getting and Sony walked without a counter offer.
Wow.  That's quite the rate hike.  I know they're making more money as part of the Marvel Universe, but I don't recall them being unpopular or not making solid money prior.  Pretty foolish of Marvel to do in my opinion.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2019, 04:07:28 PM
Matrix 4 has been announced, with Keanu Reeves and Carrie Ann Moss back at their roles, with one of the Wachowskis as director and writer.

So....unnecessary.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Think their highest grossing super hero movie recently  was venom  which made around 800 IIRC so Sony can make money. However i assume, perhaps incorrectly, that Disney went high hoping  for a counter offer.

Then again Disney could just buy Sony's movie division lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.