News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

So, in this world of sequels, we are getting one to The Shining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDf_EnIhojk

I read the book when it came out, and Jack Torrance's ghost shows up in it. There's nobody listed on IMDB playing him, so I wonder if they are going with Jack Nicholson CGI shenanigans.

(the book in itself was pure Stephen King. Lots of silly-ridiculous stuff, like the vampire baddies, and some good stuff. It does give closure to the story of The Shining, although I wonder how that will work out given they are setting it in the continuity of the movie, which had major differences).

The Brain

Red Cliff (The Special Edition). Four and half hour John Woo costume epic. If you're into the Romance of the Three Kingdoms it's certainly worth watching.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2019, 08:34:00 AM

I read the book when it came out, and Jack Torrance's ghost shows up in it. There's nobody listed on IMDB playing him, so I wonder if they are going with Jack Nicholson CGI shenanigans.

(the book in itself was pure Stephen King. Lots of silly-ridiculous stuff, like the vampire baddies, and some good stuff. It does give closure to the story of The Shining, although I wonder how that will work out given they are setting it in the continuity of the movie, which had major differences).

The book had very little to do with the Shining, other than it was Jack's son, Danny as the protaganist. But it could have been anybody. REally just a vampire novel
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on August 15, 2019, 02:54:32 PM
Tron Legacy (2010)

If you think of it as a two hour Daft Punk video, it isn't bad.  On the other hand if you think of this as a movie; this one has problems.  It's a CGI extravaganza which manages to look more dated than the 1982 movie (the de-aging technology they use on Jeff Bridges is particularly egregious.)  It's an action adventure film which manages to hit most every cliche (there's the fish-out-of-water kid, there's the wise mentor and there's the lethal vixen) yet the plot makes no sense.

It's not all bad; Jeff Bridges' stoner Obi-Won Kenobi is entertaining, and Michael Sheen's impersonation of Bette Midler impersonating Ziggy Stardust is fascinating.  For the most part, though, this one is best avoided.

if only your reviews were a tad longer, you could have made a fortune in another field! ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on August 16, 2019, 05:57:30 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2019, 08:34:00 AM

The book had very little to do with the Shining, other than it was Jack's son, Danny as the protaganist. But it could have been anybody. REally just a vampire novel

The way I remember it his whole personal arc is about coming to terms with the shining and the legacy of his father. He's a recovering alcoholic, IIRC, which obviously won't work with the way the Kubrick movie set up Jack's character.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2019, 11:54:13 PM
Tron Legacy (2010)

If you think of it as a two hour Daft Punk video, it isn't bad.  On the other hand if you think of this as a movie; this one has problems.  It's a CGI extravaganza which manages to look more dated than the 1982 movie (the de-aging technology they use on Jeff Bridges is particularly egregious.)  It's an action adventure film which manages to hit most every cliche (there's the fish-out-of-water kid, there's the wise mentor and there's the lethal vixen) yet the plot makes no sense.

It's not all bad; Jeff Bridges' stoner Obi-Won Kenobi is entertaining, and Michael Sheen's impersonation of Bette Midler impersonating Ziggy Stardust is fascinating.  For the most part, though, this one is best avoided.

if only you reviews were a tad longer, you could have made a fortune in another field! ;)

Nobody makes a fortune from movie reviews.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 17, 2019, 10:38:03 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2019, 11:54:13 PM
Tron Legacy (2010)

if only you reviews were a tad longer, you could have made a fortune in another field! ;)

Nobody makes a fortune from movie reviews.

I don't know how much money this translates into, but some of the more popular youtube reviewers can rake in over a million views for hyped movies.

The Brain

My Soul to Take. Anniversary of small town murderer's death brings echoes of the past. Wes Craven serves up another OK but nothing special movie. Nice bonus though is that this one features my favorite [spoiler]bird[/spoiler].
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

If Keanu is the biggest star in Hollywood right now, that pretty much proves stardom ain't what it used to be.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 17, 2019, 07:26:44 PM
If Keanu is the biggest star in Hollywood right now, that pretty much proves stardom ain't what it used to be.

I do kind of disagree with this part

QuoteNah, too rooted in nostalgia. Leonardo DiCaprio? Or Denzel Washington? Maybe, but can you see either of them playing to a crowd of people steeped in video games or YouTube culture?

I've seen DiCaprio in quite a few memes, especially from his Tarantino movies. Doesn't the internet crowd like Tarantino?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: The Brain on August 16, 2019, 05:55:00 PM
Red Cliff (The Special Edition). Four and half hour John Woo costume epic. If you're into the Romance of the Three Kingdoms it's certainly worth watching.
I quite enjoyed it.  I initially only saw the shorter US cut.  I made the effort to track down the full version and buy it.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

11B4V

Watching Harry Potter and The Dirty Bomb.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

You need to watch Harry Potter and the attack of the Ferdinands at Kursk.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2019, 01:52:07 AM
You need to watch Harry Potter and the attack of the Ferdinands at Kursk.

:lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".