News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I've been watching parks and recreation lately.
I tried watching it when it was fresh and couldnt get into it. It does take several episodes to find it's feet.
But it becomes very good.
The same team made brooklyn 99 and the good place.
I like them.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on August 14, 2019, 11:21:44 AM
I tried watching it when it was fresh and couldnt get into it. It does take several episodes to find it's feet.
I like them.

The first season is kinda meh, but after the second it improves by leaps and bounds and becomes quite a jewel.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on August 14, 2019, 11:29:15 AM
I like them.

The first season is kinda meh, but after the second it improves by leaps and bounds and becomes quite a jewel.

Indeed, from around season three it becomes great.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Larch on August 14, 2019, 11:29:15 AM
I like them.

Helped they got rid of that creepy Mark guy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Priest. In a dystopian alternative future priests fight vampires. One of the select group of movies that contain elements of Warhammer 40k, if you will (often, but not always, by W40k having drawn on the same source material or being inspired by the actual movie/book, the whole design concept of Warhammer is to be derivative). Examples are Starship Troopers, Event Horizon, Mutant Chronicles (the game Mutant Chronicles/Warzone was of course a W40k clone), Dune...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Decided to go and finish Leftovers. It's a show that I always liked but at the same time found difficult to get through. Wrapped up season 2 and onwards to 3.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Too dumb? Have you seen the things kids do watch?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Came back from watching Tarantino's last. Mildly disappointed. It's just a disjointed collection of scenes - some good, some bad, a lot really self-indulgent - held together by the sheer charisma of the leads, until 2 hours pass by and the Family shows up a their doorstep.

There's the odd brilliant scene though. I loved the moment when Sharon Tate goes to see her own movie.

Savonarola

Tron Legacy (2010)

If you think of it as a two hour Daft Punk video, it isn't bad.  On the other hand if you think of this as a movie; this one has problems.  It's a CGI extravaganza which manages to look more dated than the 1982 movie (the de-aging technology they use on Jeff Bridges is particularly egregious.)  It's an action adventure film which manages to hit most every cliche (there's the fish-out-of-water kid, there's the wise mentor and there's the lethal vixen) yet the plot makes no sense.

It's not all bad; Jeff Bridges' stoner Obi-Won Kenobi is entertaining, and Michael Sheen's impersonation of Bette Midler impersonating Ziggy Stardust is fascinating.  For the most part, though, this one is best avoided.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

The Purge. Affluent family hunkers down for the one night of the year when everything's legal. Fairly OK genre fare, nothing special.

jimmy olsen

Saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood with my sister while I was back in the states.

Loved it, as I always do with Tarantino movies.

There were three separate narratives that only come together at the end of the movie, but that's par for the course with Tarantino. Cinematography and acting was fantastic.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point