News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Enjoying The Rebellion.  Netflix (I think) miniseries about Ireland from the Easter Rising on.  Same ground as covered by Michael Collins, but a lot more chicks.

KRonn

Quote from: Josephus on July 27, 2019, 07:06:00 AM
I watched Catch 22 too. It was very good.
I saw that recently and liked it also. Had a different twist to it.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on July 28, 2019, 05:31:35 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 27, 2019, 07:06:00 AM
I watched Catch 22 too. It was very good.
I saw that recently and liked it also. Had a different twist to it.

Yes, rather enjoyable.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Many years ago, Duquedebragança introduced me to a movie concept I've never heard of: nanars, movies so bad they are actually good.

I was dubious at how bad movies could be enjoyable, but I've kept an eye out, over the years, trying to spot some.  Mostly, I got bored and fast forwarded to these.  But this week-end, I got an epyphany. 

I had recorded Battleship a couple of weeks ago and finally sat down to re-watch it.  Yes, I've seen it before.  Didn't find anything in it, but then I've read one of those click-bait stories on MSN about movies so-good-you'll-enjoy them, and there it was, in the list.

Second viewing made the charm :P

Man, that's bad. Awful.  But there's a killer soundtrack for the battleship scene :P
And when Rihanna fires the last shot they have at the alien-captured comm station, you could see the relief in her face: "I didn't forget my lines!!"  :P  (for those not familiar with the movie, that was a silent scene for her character, she is terrible at acting, and only had a few lines throughout the movie).

So, I had a good time.

Thank you Duque. I will be eternally grateful, and I'll even buy you a drink if we ever meet! :P (although, come to think of it, Surcouf owes me one, so I guess I'll try to find him and have him pay :D )
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Once upon a time in Hollywood

Swan song of Quentin Tarantino?  I enjoyed it, not sure because just few years younger than QT so can relate to his love of everything 60's Hollywood. But I'm unsure if I like his ending for film.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Upcoming arthouse movie with Willem Defoe and Robert Pattinson as lighthouse keepers in The Lighthouse, by Robert Egger (The Witch):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=93&v=Hyag7lR8CPA

Black & white, 4:3 image ratio. Looks entrancing, though. I'd watch that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Josephus on July 27, 2019, 07:07:06 AM
I'm now watching the new Sci Fi series on Netflix with Starbuck from BSG, who's still a woman.
She's older now, and looks it, but still carries a nice body.
verdict to come on the show.

Watching it too...parts are ok, but...it's tiring on me pretty quick: [spoiler]it is getting the dragging, ship-of-the-damned feel of "how can we torture this poor crew this episode?"[/spoiler]

Savonarola

The Chick Who Fell to Earth Gravity (2014)

In space no one can see your underpants

A visually stunning extravaganza (it won almost all the technical awards at the Oscars that year) as well as a compelling story and one of Sandra Bullock's best performances.  It reminded me a bit of "Speed" or "The General" in that it wastes no time to getting to the action; and keeps it going until just about the final scene.  George Clooney could star as a live action "Buzz Lightyear" if there's ever a need for such a thing.

The physics was actually decent for a Hollywood movie; but as a Professional Engineer I'm required to still complain about it in order to retain my licenses.  Sandra could have just tugged George Clooney to pull him in; they were in the same orbit so it only would have taken a slight amount of force to reel him in.  (Although maybe Tina Fey was right and George Clooney would rather drift alone in the inky blackness of space rather spend any more time with a woman his own age.)  Also using the fire extinguisher as a propulsion device  wouldn't work (it would send her spinning wildly); but she could have just thrown the fire extinguisher and propelled herself in the opposite direction
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Midsommar. Great movie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

The new Netflix Sci fi. I've seen the first ep

And... Ack. It really seems like they're trying to tick all their demographic boxes doesn't it.
It's just.... Dumb. Hot young 20 somethings without uniforms are put in charge of an interstellar starship.
That the US has for some reason.
A fleet in fact.
Yet has never been beyond sirius.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on July 31, 2019, 05:18:36 AM

And... Ack. It really seems like they're trying to tick all their demographic boxes doesn't it.
It's just.... Dumb. Hot young 20 somethings without uniforms are put in charge of an interstellar starship.
A fleet in fact.

Yeah, I stopped after 10 minutes or so.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on July 31, 2019, 05:18:36 AM

A fleet in fact.

That got me too...most of their tech feels barely near-future...but they have FTL ships that haven't seem to have gone anywhere because reasons.  And crewed mostly by a bunch of unstable folks who should have never made it out of any disciplined training environment.

Josephus

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 30, 2019, 11:37:00 AM
Quote from: Josephus on July 27, 2019, 07:07:06 AM
I'm now watching the new Sci Fi series on Netflix with Starbuck from BSG, who's still a woman.
She's older now, and looks it, but still carries a nice body.
verdict to come on the show.

Watching it too...parts are ok, but...it's tiring on me pretty quick: [spoiler]it is getting the dragging, ship-of-the-damned feel of "how can we torture this poor crew this episode?"[/spoiler]

It's definately become that yes.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

KRonn

Quote from: Savonarola on July 30, 2019, 12:13:17 PM
The Chick Who Fell to Earth Gravity (2014)

In space no one can see your underpants

A visually stunning extravaganza (it won almost all the technical awards at the Oscars that year) as well as a compelling story and one of Sandra Bullock's best performances.  It reminded me a bit of "Speed" or "The General" in that it wastes no time to getting to the action; and keeps it going until just about the final scene.  George Clooney could star as a live action "Buzz Lightyear" if there's ever a need for such a thing.

The physics was actually decent for a Hollywood movie; but as a Professional Engineer I'm required to still complain about it in order to retain my licenses.  Sandra could have just tugged George Clooney to pull him in; they were in the same orbit so it only would have taken a slight amount of force to reel him in.  (Although maybe Tina Fey was right and George Clooney would rather drift alone in the inky blackness of space rather spend any more time with a woman his own age.)  Also using the fire extinguisher as a propulsion device  wouldn't work (it would send her spinning wildly); but she could have just thrown the fire extinguisher and propelled herself in the opposite direction

Good points.  :) That aside, overall I found Gravity to be a very good movie.

Savonarola

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

An amazing recreation of the experience of driving around Los Angeles in the late 1960s; which is occasionally interrupted by some vignettes about a washed up actor, his stunt double or the Manson family.  I'm not really sure what Quentin was trying to do in those scenes; maybe it was supposed to make the driving experience come to life.  :unsure:

:P ;)

The film reminded me of the Woody Allen film "Manhattan", where the location (or, in this case, the time and place) overshadows the story.  The recreation of 1969 Hollywood really is fantastic, I can see why Tarantino lingered over that.  There are some great scenes, especially the Spahn Ranch and the Playboy Mansion party.  Margot Robbie's performance as Sharon Tate is amazing; I hope she picks up another Oscar nomination for that.  Still I thought the storylines wandered and weren't always interesting.

One of my favorite parts is when Brad Pitt kicked the hippy's ass.  :) You cannot have too much of that in a movie; the Academy should award an Oscar for "Most convincing beat down of a hippy in a short or feature film."  Even that, though, was nowhere near as great as when [spoiler]   
Leonardo DiCaprio torched a hippy with a flame thrower.[/spoiler]  Quentin Tarantino deserves a lifetime achievement award for that scene alone.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock