And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 27, 2019, 03:32:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2019, 03:36:45 PM
I've started watching The Boys. First episode was good.
I've heard nothing but good things.  I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I watched a few more episodes (:blush:) and its great. It's interesting seeing the side of the vain, money grubbing superheroes and the people who oppose them.

I was unaware of the comics until watching the show though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2019, 03:37:24 AM
I watched a few more episodes (:blush:) and its great. It's interesting seeing the side of the vain, money grubbing superheroes and the people who oppose them.

Nor was I till I read someone's comments about their issues going up in value due to it being a solid rendition.  Depending on what I think of it, I may try to track them down at some point.  The dirty superhero concept was played well in the comic Powers by Bendis and Oeming in the early aughts.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Humble currently has a Garth Ennis comics bundle which includes the first 12 issues of The Boys if anyone's interested (plus a bunch more): https://www.humblebundle.com/books/garth-ennis-and-more-books
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

I read the "The Boys" comics back in the day, as a good friend of mine is a huge Ennis fan and would pass them on. The idea is really cool, and some jokes were great, but it ended up tiring me greatly, as it seemed that Ennis was at some point just running on gross-out fumes.

Josquius

I am mother- Quite good. [spoiler]Nice take on the robots destroy humanity thing. Though a lot of open questions about whether the woman is a clone of the girl....and if she is  then why does she remember nothing and does that mean they're all clones? What future does humanity have? [/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

I watched Catch 22 too. It was very good.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

I'm now watching the new Sci Fi series on Netflix with Starbuck from BSG, who's still a woman.
She's older now, and looks it, but still carries a nice body.
verdict to come on the show.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on July 27, 2019, 07:06:00 AM
I watched Catch 22 too. It was very good.

Yes, I think I'll go and read the book.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

The book is very good. 

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 27, 2019, 08:13:53 AM
The book is very good.

But one of a hundred things I've not gotten around to.  :blush:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on July 27, 2019, 05:46:05 AM
I am mother- Quite good. [spoiler]Nice take on the robots destroy humanity thing. Though a lot of open questions about whether the woman is a clone of the girl....and if she is  then why does she remember nothing and does that mean they're all clones? What future does humanity have? [/spoiler]

There were interesting questions about [spoiler]the morality of Mother's actions.  The rational was explained in the philosophy tests the girl was taking.  On one interpretation humanity needed a reboot and this was the best way forward.  In that scenario all those embryos would not be clones [/spoiler]

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on July 27, 2019, 08:23:31 AM
The book is very good.

In general I would struggle to point to books that had a profound effect on me, but this syre would be among them. A great unveiling of war from under the heroic pathos, showing the cynisism and madness of it all. A great book.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2019, 03:37:24 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 27, 2019, 03:32:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2019, 03:36:45 PM
I've started watching The Boys. First episode was good.
I've heard nothing but good things.  I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I'm liking it too.

And am happy they found a new use for the Stallone/Judge Dredd's shoulder pads.  :P

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on July 27, 2019, 10:51:59 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 27, 2019, 08:23:31 AM
The book is very good.

In general I would struggle to point to books that had a profound effect on me, but this syre would be among them. A great unveiling of war from under the heroic pathos, showing the cynisism and madness of it all. A great book.

Thanks, I've only ever heard good things about the book.

Tamas, given your synopsis, there's probably no better time to read it than during the next few months.

Josquius

I have a sudden urge to watch one of my favourite films which I haven't watched for many years. Detroit Metal City. It is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4rC0VdbE2c
██████
██████
██████