And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

yeah, I probably napped during that part.  :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

They try to address the "June being left untouched despite being obviously seditious" bit with [spoiler]the fact they need her for PR in order to pressure the Canadian Government[/spoiler]

But yeah, the world and characters just don't make sense anymore. Still watching it though, since the actors and direction is still pretty great, and they do still come up with strong moments.

Savonarola

The Book of Eli (2010)

In the near future America has been reduced to a radioactive wasteland; and only Denzel Washington can kick enough ass to restore America to her greatness.

This film borrows heavily from Spaghetti Westerns (minus the circus midgets; alas), complete with a lawless town ruled by a shady mayor who employs thugs and wants to recruit Denzel for his villainous scheme.  It also has the wacky characters that are a staple in finer post-apocalyptic films (white people with goggles and dreadlocks; or an American Gothic couple with tons of ordnance.)

Denzel's performance is great; he would have been a worthy successor to Clint Eastwood if they still made "Man with no name" films.  The writing is a little weak; it's mostly cliches and the huge plot twist is much more  :huh: than AHA!  There is the setup for a sequel with Mila Kunis as the woman with no name; it might be for the best that wasn't made.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on July 17, 2019, 08:31:04 AM
Crawl (2019)
There's no surprises in this one; you'll see every plot point coming from a long way off.  If you live in the United States this would be a good one to watch at an "Urban" theater; as there are many opportunities to add your own lines.  The plot hinges on an house in which the basement (a rarity in Florida) has a wide drainage tunnel that leads to an alligator infested lake.  I don't claim to be an expert at construction; but that strikes me as a fundamentally poor design.
Ah, you know, to avoid infestations of rats or musked rats elsewhere that could jam the "drainage tunnel" (that is, usually 4-6" wide, but could be bigger in swamplands, I guess), in places where it is needed, we install a metallic grid at the end of the pipes to prevent such critters from crawling inside the "drainage tunnel".

But you know, Florida alligators may have muted and evolved to tor these grids apart, sort of like the raptors of Jurassic Park :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on July 18, 2019, 01:43:35 PM
only Denzel Washington can kick enough ass to restore America to her greatness.

I am glad they incorporated factual information into this story.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Was Arrested  Development well received?  I like the cast but I'm finding the writing pretty flat.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 19, 2019, 01:01:08 AM
Was Arrested  Development well received?  I like the cast but I'm finding the writing pretty flat.

It wasn't a ratings success, but it was very well received critically - it won a bunch of Emmys. I love it.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 19, 2019, 01:01:08 AM

Philistine!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Apparently people are freaked out over the appearance of the characters in the Cats trailer.

I'm not a fan of the musical, and generally always hated when people play animal characters. As a kid I always found it dumb, if e.g. in a kid's show someone was dressed as a dog or whatever with a painted face to portrait a dog character.

At any rate, I don't think the trailer looks that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq50F-IDXDc
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on July 19, 2019, 02:51:44 AM
Apparently people are freaked out over the appearance of the characters in the Cats trailer.

I'm not a fan of the musical, and generally always hated when people play animal characters. As a kid I always found it dumb, if e.g. in a kid's show someone was dressed as a dog or whatever with a painted face to portrait a dog character.

At any rate, I don't think the trailer looks that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq50F-IDXDc

Looks like a furry wet dream (and for once, literally). But tbh it looks exactly how I'd imagine a movie based on Cats woud look. Sometimes the fact you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Now it's the time we'd need CdM back though.

Josquius

Solo - I was right not to bother with this one for so long. It just doesn't work on any level. Not for Star Wars fandom nor as a film of its own.
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

Just caught Seven Days in May on TCM.  Wow.  What a great movie!  I'd heard of it before, but this was my first time watching it.  Damn fine film!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on July 19, 2019, 03:18:52 AM

Looks like a furry wet dream (and for once, literally). But tbh it looks exactly how I'd imagine a movie based on Cats woud look. Sometimes the fact you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Now it's the time we'd need CdM back though.

Quote from: CdMJust saw the trailer to the live-action version of Cats. If that isn't the most unnerving shit I've seen in many moons.

mongers

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 19, 2019, 04:53:00 AM
Just caught Seven Days in May on TCM.  Wow.  What a great movie!  I'd heard of it before, but this was my first time watching it.  Damn fine film!

And about time too, soldier.   :mad:

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on July 19, 2019, 03:39:13 AM
Solo - I was right not to bother with this one for so long. It just doesn't work on any level. Not for Star Wars fandom nor as a film of its own.

Yeah, it's been on my "to watch list" on Netflix for a year, and it isn't drawing me to it
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011