News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camerus

I don't doubt you'd think so.

But I found how the show portrays the villains of right-thinking rather simplistic, or the notion that, for example, Trump would be allowed to cavalierly order a nuclear strike on his last day in office absurd. The depiction is based more on "these people are bad!" knee-jerk progressivism than IMO a realistic appraisal of our social moment.

Josephus

Liberals polling a few points ahead of CPC in latest Nanos poll.
Which goes to my point from a few weeks back. Polls this early in the game mean fuck all.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on July 16, 2019, 09:53:41 AM
Which goes to my point from a few weeks back. Polls this early in the game mean fuck all.

Unless this is about a documentary, it may be in the wrong thread ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Camerus on July 16, 2019, 09:00:45 AM
I don't doubt you'd think so.

But I found how the show portrays the villains of right-thinking rather simplistic, or the notion that, for example, Trump would be allowed to cavalierly order a nuclear strike on his last day in office absurd. The depiction is based more on "these people are bad!" knee-jerk progressivism than IMO a realistic appraisal of our social moment.

Well yes it was a 6 episode television show (and so there's no time for a nuanced take on Trump and Farage) but I don't know what that has to do with 'elite-approved flavour of social progressivism'.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on July 16, 2019, 08:08:02 AM
That "revival" was a string of terrible movies that lost big amounts of money though!

Cliffhanger is a good dumb action flick. I will say that.

Demolition Man and Cliffhanger were good genre movies and made good business. Enough for Stallone to sue Warner Bros for profit "dishonesty".  :P

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/apr/13/sylvester-stallone-sues-warner-bros-demolition-man

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on July 16, 2019, 09:55:09 AM
Quote from: Josephus on July 16, 2019, 09:53:41 AM

Unless this is about a documentary, it may be in the wrong thread ...  ;)

oy
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sophie Scholl

Are action movies often given big budgets?  Do super hero movies count as action movies?  What about sci-fi flicks?  The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise?  If Pirates does, then Johnny Depp has been given a lot of big budget films to lead in after 40 and even some after 50.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

Watching The Crown on Netflix, about the young Queen Elizabeth II.  Some very good scenes (some filler).  Princess Margaret has a nice pooper.

Tonitrus

That show seems to keep trying to have the constant theme of fucking up their personal/family desires with "OMG monarchial tradition!!!1111", and giving no real support that said tradition had any importance whatsoever than some vague, obsolete notion of its own self-importance. 

It just made me more proud of being among the traitor class.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 16, 2019, 04:12:32 PM
Are action movies often given big budgets?
Nowadays yes, but we are no longer in the heyday of the genre where this was not necessarily the case with B-movies from Cannon to Sidaris.
Do super hero movies count as action movies?

No. Unless we are talking about some old ones like the Punisher with Dolph Lundgren. What we get today is mostly teenage-friendly CGI crap fests.

What about sci-fi flicks?

If it's sci-fi/action.  :P Terminator yes, Blade Runner not really.
OTOH, there's this hilarious '80s Action Guide critic site counting John Carpenter's The Thing Horror/Sci-fi/Horror masterpiece as one of the finest '80s Action examples:
http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/1933/the-thing/
http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/the-ruthless-guide-to-80s-action/

QuotePlus I feel that Carpenter would want to be included in the Guide rather than get some fancy-pants "normal" review.

The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise?  If Pirates does, then Johnny Depp has been given a lot of big budget films to lead in after 40 and even some after 50.

Another genre sorry. It's a pirate movie. :D

Josephus

After 3 1/2 episodes of Season three of Handmaid's Tale, I've officially given up on it.
It dawned on me as I was struggling through episode 4, that I really don't care about any of the characters.
Civis Romanus Sum

Savonarola

Crawl (2019)

Like Sharknado, but with alligators and a hurricane instead.  Haley is struggling to stay on the swim team at the University of Florida (the 'Gators); when a hurricane strikes southern Florida.  Her dad lives there, and no one has heard from him for a few days.  She rushes down and soon becomes embroiled in a world of looters, flooding, hurricanes, gunfire and mobs of alligators; or, as we call it in Florida, "August."

;)

There's no surprises in this one; you'll see every plot point coming from a long way off.  If you live in the United States this would be a good one to watch at an "Urban" theater; as there are many opportunities to add your own lines.  The plot hinges on an house in which the basement (a rarity in Florida) has a wide drainage tunnel that leads to an alligator infested lake.  I don't claim to be an expert at construction; but that strikes me as a fundamentally poor design.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on July 17, 2019, 08:00:00 AM
After 3 1/2 episodes of Season three of Handmaid's Tale, I've officially given up on it.
It dawned on me as I was struggling through episode 4, that I really don't care about any of the characters.

same.  The world has become wildly inconsistent.  [spoiler]Small things - like executing handmaids (in the scene where the Martha was executed) without explanation.  But in previous seasons we saw how Gilead goes to great lengths to keep hand maidens (and more importantly their potential to produce children) alive.  What happened to the extreme drop in the birth rate - kids are popping up all over the place now.  And how is June getting away with everything she does?  When the plot regarding the Martha was uncovered why wasn't she also executed[/spoiler]?

I am looking forward to reading Atwood's sequel to see how the ongoing story is done properly.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2019, 09:44:25 AM

same.  The world has become wildly inconsistent.  [spoiler]Small things - like executing handmaids (in the scene where the Martha was executed) without explanation.  But in previous seasons we saw how Gilead goes to great lengths to keep hand maidens (and more importantly their potential to produce children) alive.  What happened to the extreme drop in the birth rate - kids are popping up all over the place now.  And how is June getting away with everything she does?  When the plot regarding the Martha was uncovered why wasn't she also executed[/spoiler]?

I am looking forward to reading Atwood's sequel to see how the ongoing story is done properly.

Yeah, but [spoiler]Marthas can be executed at will because they didn't bear any children. I guess you can make the argument taht they're keeping June alive because she can still bear kids, but you'd think she'd lose an eye or something by now.But I agree there's a lot of inconsistency [/spoiler].
Civis Romanus Sum

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on July 17, 2019, 12:30:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2019, 09:44:25 AM

Yeah, but [spoiler]Marthas can be executed at will because they didn't bear any children. I guess you can make the argument taht they're keeping June alive because she can still bear kids, but you'd think she'd lose an eye or something by now.But I agree there's a lot of inconsistency [/spoiler].

[spoiler]That is my point.  Along with the Martha they executed a couple of handmaids.[/spoiler]