News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2019, 12:41:27 PM
Just starting Chernobyl; saw the first episode last night. Very good so far.

Or rather, 'not great, not terrible'.  :D

It is hard to watch but it is excellent - a solid 3.6

out of 3.6

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 26, 2019, 01:57:50 PM

out of 3.6

We have a better TV show rating scale that goes past 3.6, but we keep that one locked in the safe.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2019, 02:14:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 26, 2019, 01:57:50 PM

out of 3.6

We have a better TV show rating scale that goes past 3.6, but we keep that one locked in the safe.

In the soviet union there no need for a higher rating scale.

*Trump* They tell me my ratings are as high as they can be measured *Trump*

KRonn

I saw all episodes of Chernobyl. Amazing show! They did a great job on it. I had heard before of a design flaw in the plant's system, and I was a bit stunned at the possible damage that could have occurred.

KRonn

I saw movie T-34 about a Russian tank crew in WW2. Good depiction of things, especially the first part of the movie, and a good but perhaps a bit over the top ending. Worth seeing IMO. In Russian with subtitles which I prefer over dubbed English as I want to hear the actor's voices, inflections/tones in voice, etc..

Eddie Teach

Men in Black: International. I liked it.
Annabelle Comes Home. Scary.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Ma vie de Courgette (My Life as a Zucchini) (2016)

Downer of a children's movie (in fact it's rated PG-13 in the United States.)  Courgette accidentally kills his drunken mother and is sent to an orphanage.  At first he doesn't fit in well with his peers (and when you're being bullied by orphans, you know you're a loser) but things start to look up as a new girl comes to live at the orphanage.

This was nominated for the academy award for Best Animated Feature (which it lost to Zootopia.)  There are some poignant moments in the film; notably when on a trip to the mountains the orphans watch as a mother help her child up.  It felt a bit too short (1:07 with credits) to properly develop the story.  There is an Easter Egg in the closing credit, where they animated the lead characters audition; that was clever. 

I learned that "Spiderman" isn't translated in French, but instead is pronounced as "Speederman."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on June 28, 2019, 10:20:01 AM

I learned that "Spiderman" isn't translated in French, but instead is pronounced as "Speederman."

Used to be translated in French, called l'Araignée, not anymore.
cf. the old cartoon and the opening theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT2rCOXbmjw
I still remember later re-runs in the '80s ; the first run in France was in 1977.
I still call it l'Araignée sometimes, to puzzle the average super hero movie goer.
The translated name stuck longer than Guy l'Éclair for Flash Gordon. ;)

celedhring

Guy L'Éclair is a fantastic pulp name. It should have stuck.

It's Spiderman over here, although old cartoons had "El Hombre Araña" as subtitle/alternate nickname. I think in some Latin American countries it is "El Hombre Araña".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on June 28, 2019, 10:42:22 AM

They went bilingual at first, to be on the safe side. This one is from 1980:

mongers

Oddly I now have a working TV, something I've not bothered with in a long while; wanders off to see what's on.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on June 28, 2019, 11:48:07 AM
Oddly I now have a working TV, something I've not bothered with in a long while; wanders off to see what's on.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on June 28, 2019, 10:42:22 AM

It sounds like it should be Canada's answer to Buckaroo Banzai.  Scientist, Neurosurgeon, Snocross Speedster and Goalie for the hard-checking Quebec  Nordiques, it's Guy L'Éclair.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

I like the part about the Nordiques!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on June 28, 2019, 12:11:23 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 28, 2019, 11:48:07 AM

BB I can't see that gif, what is it? I think something is wrong with my browser settings.

I didn't look at the tv listings and the only programmes worth me watching this weekend, are two news bulletins.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"