News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Suicide Squad.  It can't be THAT bad?  I mean, sure, it's DC.  But hey, they took the worst of the worst and coerced them into doing something good.  There's gotta be something good in it, right?

After 3 months of attempted watching:   :bleeding: :x :frusty: :thumbsdown: :weep: :cry:
My advice: stay away from this turd.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on June 23, 2019, 06:13:58 PM
There's gotta be something good in it, right?

30 second ass shot.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2019, 06:38:02 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 23, 2019, 06:13:58 PM
There's gotta be something good in it, right?

30 second ass shot.
yeah, if you're into asses.  I'm not much of a Rear Admiral ;)
Although, I'll have to admit, that was nice.  :blush:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

I watched a Spanish dub of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."  They kept "Jones" with the English pronunciation, but gave the first part of "Ravenwood" a Spanish pronunciation; (there's no double-o in Spanish so they had to leave it as "Wood") so it took me a second to realize that the G-men weren't discussing "Robin Hood."

I got a bottle of Eau-de-Vie in Israel with Hebrew writing, just like the one Marion and Belloq down.   :)  (How did the Nazis not notice that? :unsure:)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

That's because to most of us English pronunciation is extremely nonsensical :P, so we randomly switch between how you would pronounce it in Spanish and how it's said in English. A good example is Theresa May, who 90% of the time is turned into a Spanish "Teresa" while correctly pronouncing "May".

Tonitrus

I was highly annoyed by some BBC podcast on Don Quixote where they pronounced his name something like "quicks-it".  Barbaric.  :mad:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on June 25, 2019, 10:42:38 AM
(How did the Nazis not notice that? :unsure:)

Easy, they prefer Yiddish to Hebrew.  :P

You had it coming for watching a dubbed version. No clue about Brazilian Portuguese versions since Portugal and most of Lusophonia does not dub, but French dubbed Indiana Jones movies are infamous for a specific reason: each movie had a different voice for Harrison Ford.  :lmfao:

PS: since somebody might ask about this abomination of a movie, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, yes they kept the same voice as Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Does not though, since I do not consider the last one to be canon.

Malthus

Anyone here watch The Man in the High Castle?

If so, was it any good?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2019, 02:04:36 PM

If so, was it any good?

Yes to your first, no to your second.

Habbaku

I enjoyed large parts of it, but it can be quite the slog in some episodes.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

I only enjoyed the Rufus Sewell bits, to be frank - and the attached nazi conspiracy stuff. Everything else was kinda meh. The protagonists are particularly annoying/uninteresting. Also the show never exactly seems to know what it wants to do/tell.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2019, 02:04:36 PM

If so, was it any good?

Only watched it, for now, till the second season. I liked it. Not all episodes are perfect obviously, it's one of the few contemporary shows I watched.

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on June 25, 2019, 02:16:57 PM
I only enjoyed the Rufus Sewell bits, to be frank - and the attached nazi conspiracy stuff. Everything else was kinda meh. The protagonists are particularly annoying/uninteresting. Also the show never exactly seems to know what it wants to do/tell.

That is, indeed, the biggest problem--the lack of focus. I think it hit a good stride in the second season, at least, but I've yet to return to the third.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

I've only watched a Netflix produced synopsis of seasons 1 & 2.  What was the name of that 80s alien invasion miseries, V?  That's the vibe I got.  In other words semi-schlocky, semi-soap opera.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2019, 02:35:25 PM
I've only watched a Netflix produced synopsis of seasons 1 & 2.  What was the name of that 80s alien invasion miseries, V?  That's the vibe I got.  In other words semi-schlocky, semi-soap opera.

V?! Outer Space reptilian conspiracy, a classic!  :D