News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 01:37:22 PM
Conservatism is very much unlinked from the GOP these days.  The Steve Bannons, the Sohrab Ahmaris, don't call themselves conservatives.

The article seems to very much be talking about Burkean conservatism (I mean he name-checks him three times).  That it's a movie about restoring the past, that there is no one right side of history, that we must be concerned about unintended consequences, and of course the value of home and family... all very traditional conservative values.

Yeah but he also talked a bit about nationalist reactions, which is where I think got a bit confused because that is very much in the Steve Bannon mold.

In any case we have a very radical force in Thanos, and as history shows as politics become more radical former insurgents can become conservatives (by comparison anyway) very quickly. John Dickinson and Lafayette going from obnoxious critics of the establishment to right wing figures in a very short time. The sliding scale of left and right is very arbitrary at times.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Local English language cinema is doing a Lord of the Rings Extended Edition marathon on Saturday. Total of 726 minutes, starting at 1 pm. Tickets are €36.

Thanks, but not thanks. I'll rather do that on a comfy couch. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on June 19, 2019, 09:58:43 AM
Local English language cinema is doing a Lord of the Rings Extended Edition marathon on Saturday. Total of 726 minutes, starting at 1 pm. Tickets are €36.

Starting at 1300? That's for elfic wussies, here movie marathons take place at night. :D

Admiral Yi

Dos preguntas:

1.  What is Stranger Things about?

2.  If I were to pick one streaming service, should it be Netflix?

Eddie Teach

Kids growing up in the 80s, dealing with a monster from another dimension.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2019, 01:34:48 AM
Dos preguntas:

1.  What is Stranger Things about?

2.  If I were to pick one streaming service, should it be Netflix?
2. Do you like gladiator movies?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

... Over the course of a fortnight.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Watching the last season of Jessica Jones. Sad to see Netflix's Marvel go, I liked a lot of their output more than the movies.

The last season is good, by the way. It does take a bit to get started, but the second half is quite strong.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_jNrHORTNE

I had a eureka moment when I realized the lead is the hottie from Chernobyl.  She's pretty hott as a Scottish single mom aspiring country singer too.

Sophie Scholl

I saw that them late last year back to back to back.  It was amazing to see the Extended Editions on the big state of the art screen/theater instead of just a television.  It was well worth it for me. :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

The Dead Don't Die. It was fun.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Is 'The Nice Guys' worth a viewing?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on June 22, 2019, 08:55:46 PM

Watchable, some good bits.  Goosling plays out of type.  The kid is pretty damn good.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2019, 09:03:11 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 22, 2019, 08:55:46 PM

Watchable, some good bits.  Goosling plays out of type.  The kid is pretty damn good.

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a spin. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"