News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

'Lord of War' - I appreciated it more on this most recent viewing.

Also one of the few times I've felt it was worthwhile having watched the extras on the dvd; I liked some of the stories about the movie shoot, including cool footage of the AN-12 transport landing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Years and Years

I feel incredibly tense after every episode. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

I Am Mother

Very good net flix sci fi movie

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 16, 2019, 09:30:34 AM
I Am Mother

I was wondering what Languish thought of this before I dived in.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on June 17, 2019, 08:25:51 AM
I Am Mother

Lots to talk about once you do see it.  :)

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2019, 09:33:42 AM
I Am Mother

Lots to talk about once you do see it.  :)
I always trust your judgment. Will watch it this week.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

I Am Mother

I thought it was kinda meh, but a good effort on a good idea.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

this a new thing? secretly conservative movies is the new secretly gay characters/historical figures?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Hardly a new thing, breaking down Hollywood movies to find "hidden" conservative messages has been a thing in lefty cultural studies faculties since the 1960s.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2019, 12:43:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 12:23:43 PM
How Avengers: Endgames is fundamentally a conservative movie:

https://quillette.com/2019/06/14/the-conservative-manifesto-buried-in-avengers-endgame/

What a bunch of incomprehensible gobbledegook

:unsure:

You can agree with the conclusion or not, but I found the argument quite understandable.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 01:18:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2019, 12:43:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 12:23:43 PM
How Avengers: Endgames is fundamentally a conservative movie:

https://quillette.com/2019/06/14/the-conservative-manifesto-buried-in-avengers-endgame/

What a bunch of incomprehensible gobbledegook

:unsure:

You can agree with the conclusion or not, but I found the argument quite understandable.

The argument seems based on arbitrary labels and unconvincing comparisons. What exactly is trying to be said gets lost in all the weirdness.

Also what is conservatism here? Nationalism? Burkeanism? What? And what exactly is Liberal? Everything that is not that? I mean I consider myself very Burkean, I want measured and thoughtful reforms, but I see virtually none of that in Conservatism these days. Radicalism dominates. But this point is never clarified, definitions and claims just randomly move around all over the place leaving me more confused and puzzled then convinced or not convinced.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2019, 01:23:52 PM
The argument seems based on arbitrary labels and unconvincing comparisons. What exactly is trying to be said gets lost in all the weirdness.

Also what is conservatism here? Nationalism? Burkeanism? What? And what exactly is Liberal? Everything that is not that? I mean I consider myself very Burkean, I want measured and thoughtful reforms, but I see virtually none of that in Conservatism these days. Radicalism dominates. But this point is never clarified, definitions and claims just randomly move around all over the place leaving me more confused and puzzled then convinced or not convinced.

Conservatism is very much unlinked from the GOP these days.  The Steve Bannons, the Sohrab Ahmaris, don't call themselves conservatives.

The article seems to very much be talking about Burkean conservatism (I mean he name-checks him three times).  That it's a movie about restoring the past, that there is no one right side of history, that we must be concerned about unintended consequences, and of course the value of home and family... all very traditional conservative values.

Oexmelin

Quote from: celedhring on June 18, 2019, 12:37:20 PM
Hardly a new thing, breaking down Hollywood movies to find "hidden" conservative messages has been a thing in lefty cultural studies faculties since the 1960s.

Quillette is a conservative publication.
Que le grand cric me croque !