News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I don't feel like the Russians have issues shooting in Ukraine. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on June 06, 2019, 03:18:44 PM
I don't feel like the Russians have issues shooting in Ukraine. :P

:D

We are not talking about shooting down a plane though.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on June 06, 2019, 03:09:47 PM
Russia think HBO's Chernobyl is fake news, goona make its own show.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/chernobyl-tourism-spikes-hbo-russia-plans-series-1202147828/

Well Russia did have 33 years to release their own show.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2019, 03:36:04 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 06, 2019, 03:09:47 PM
Russia think HBO's Chernobyl is fake news, goona make its own show.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/chernobyl-tourism-spikes-hbo-russia-plans-series-1202147828/

Well Russia did have 33 years to release their own show.

Technically not 33 years, the USSR did not collapse in 1986 and Russia did not gain independence until later.  :nerd: :D

Josephus

I think this was shot in Latvia, anyway
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

KRonn

I just found out about the Chernobyl mini series, how good it was. I had heard of it but it didn't spark my attention until some friends told me it's an awesome show!  I have it set to record all the episodes next week.

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on June 07, 2019, 09:09:49 AM

Fwiw, you can shoot in Pripyat - a friend of mine shot a film there some years ago. Of course the place is massively decayed so it probably wouldn't have been useful for this show.

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on June 07, 2019, 09:09:49 AM

Lithuania, actually. The scenes showing Pripyat were shot in a suburb of Vilnius, and they also shot in a real Soviet era nuclear power plant (from the famous RBMK family, like Chernobyl) that had been closed as part of the country's accession deal into the EU.

Habbaku

And a real KGB prison, apparently.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on June 07, 2019, 10:26:01 AM
And a real KGB prison, apparently.

Last year I visited the KGB museum in Vilnius which includes the old holding and torture cells and execution room. Looked very similar to the show.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Friend and colleague spent like a week in Exclusion zone for a documentary back in 2017.

Here in control room, where they were limited to 10 mins of time spent in there.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Oexmelin

Quote from: Habbaku on June 05, 2019, 03:10:11 PM
The whole story is sociological. There is no 'inability' here to tell a sociological tale.

I haven't seen Chernobyl yet, so my take is obviously lacking. But this article makes a point that what is being portrayed in the series is a lazy take on the nature of a perverse regime - one that is informed by heroes and vilains. Vilains rule through their use of fear and coercive power and heroes see clearly through science and expertise. The author's point is that fear and coercion were so rarely brandished so nakedly, and that there was no point ever where science and expertise were not fully enmeshed with the whole system of power. We get the sort of sociology entertainment craves: one where "Society" is the Other, against which the Individual heroes, must fight.

Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 07, 2019, 02:27:36 PM
I haven't seen Chernobyl yet, so my take is obviously lacking. But this article makes a point that what is being portrayed in the series is a lazy take on the nature of a perverse regime - one that is informed by heroes and vilains. Vilains rule through their use of fear and coercive power and heroes see clearly through science and expertise. The author's point is that fear and coercion were so rarely brandished so nakedly, and that there was no point ever where science and expertise were not fully enmeshed with the whole system of power. We get the sort of sociology entertainment craves: one where "Society" is the Other, against which the Individual heroes, must fight.

I'd see the show before critiquing it, if I were you.

The show does feature some "heroic" types, but they aren't the focus of the show.  The show is mostly about how people have to survive and change in the face of a disaster that few, if any, of them can understand.   Boris Shcherbina (the main apparatchik assigned to oversee the response), for instance, starts as a guy impatient to stop all the rumormongering and just tidy things up, but then becomes the foremost voice for the need to respond forcefully and pay the price to get ahead of the problem.  The Russian head of the Chemical Warfare Division is another apparatchik who comes off as a man who recognizes the disaster for what it is.  Miners imported from Tula are heroic even if we don't learn their names.  The show does a good job of exploiting that Russian willingness to sacrifice: "you will do it because it must be done."

Your sneering take makes sense given your ignorance of the show, but you'd be better served saving it for others equally ignorant.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Oexmelin

Quote from: grumbler on June 07, 2019, 05:50:24 PM
Your sneering take makes sense given your ignorance of the show, but you'd be better served saving it for others equally ignorant.

I am afraid there was a bit of projection here. I wasn't sneering: am really quite well-disposed towards the show, and I am looking forward to being back in the US to watch it. I read the article. What I read seemed ill-fitting with how it was briefly discussed here. In the spirit of furthering conversation, I suggested a take, and acknowledged I did not see the show. It was quite possible to discuss my take - as you did - without being an asshole about it. But I suppose the concept of a generous reader is lost upon you. 
Que le grand cric me croque !