And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on June 05, 2019, 06:32:40 AM
Quote from: The Larch on June 05, 2019, 06:25:27 AM
I finished Chernobyl yesterday. Last episode's trial scene with Legasov's deposition lambasting the Soviet system seemed a bit too Hollywood for me.

Yes it was the weak point of the series I guess, but I am sure they felt it necessary to spell out the conclusions. However, the explanation of the workings of a nucular plant and the reasons for the incident was extremely well done I think. They could show it in high school classrooms.

Oh, for sure, the rest of the show is almost spotless, but that scene layed it out a bit too thick, IMO.

Josephus

I finished Chernobyl yesterday. Last episode's trial scene with Legasov's deposition lambasting the Soviet system seemed a bit too Hollywood for me.

I wonder whether that's based on truth or not. I don't think so, but the tapes he left after his suicide were and in the end did lead to Russia retrofitting the rods.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

The official Chernobyl podcast should cover the veracity of that scene in detail. I'll report back when I've finished it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on June 05, 2019, 08:10:11 AM

I wonder whether that's based on truth or not. I don't think so, but the tapes he left after his suicide were and in the end did lead to Russia retrofitting the rods.

Apparently neither him nor Scherbina were even present during the trial.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Oexmelin

It resonates well with the one about Game of Thrones - about our inability to tell sociological stories.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Tamas

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on June 05, 2019, 03:01:04 PM
Quote from: Josephus on June 05, 2019, 01:09:00 PM
here's a good essay on the series Chernobyl in New Yorker

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/what-hbos-chernobyl-got-right-and-what-it-got-terribly-wrong

This is a really bad article.

It does seem a bit weird.

QuoteIn effect, Plokhy argues, it was the Soviet system that created Chernobyl and made the explosion inevitable. Glimmers of this understanding appear in the HBO series, too.

Glimmers? The entire series is about the Soviet system causing the disaster (and the poor handling of the disaster).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 05, 2019, 02:35:29 PM
It resonates well with the one about Game of Thrones - about our inability to tell sociological stories.

The whole story is sociological. There is no 'inability' here to tell a sociological tale.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

I wasn't crazy about the New Yorker article.  Either brave individuals bucked the myopic bureaucratic system to save the world, or the myopic bureaucratic system itself saved the world, in which case the author of the piece should have told us how it did that.

KRonn

A new series, NOS482 started Sunday. It looks interesting, some kind of thriller type show. I liked the first episode and I'm going to watch more episodes and check it out.

Josquius

The first ep of good omens was pretty good.

I don't like pratchetts writing. But it tends to translate well to TV.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: KRonn on June 05, 2019, 07:57:58 PM
A new series, NOS482 started Sunday. It looks interesting, some kind of thriller type show. I liked the first episode and I'm going to watch more episodes and check it out.

Think it's based on a book by Stephen King's son.
Civis Romanus Sum

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on June 06, 2019, 03:09:47 PM
Russia think HBO's Chernobyl is fake news, goona make its own show.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/chernobyl-tourism-spikes-hbo-russia-plans-series-1202147828/

It will be hard for them to shoot it in Ukraine though.