Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Surely that's the show's catchphrase.  :lol:

Josephus

Quote from: Habbaku on June 04, 2019, 10:43:05 AM
Not great, nor terrible? That's the highest possible rating!  :P

In fact 3.6 is as high as his docimeter goes
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

I loved the bit where they were all denying that the reactor had blown up. Even though several people had pointed out that there was a gigantic hole in the reactor building and a raging fire.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Finished it too. It truly is a great TV series.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

The pregnant hottie was yummy.

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on June 04, 2019, 11:36:52 AM
I loved the bit where they were all denying that the reactor had blown up. Even though several people had pointed out that there was a gigantic hole in the reactor building and a raging fire.

It's obvious, the core can't explode.  :P

Berkut

Saw Rocketman with the girlfriend.

Thought it was great.

I can't help but think it was kind of in the mold of Hamilton - some popular "history" telling something of a myth, but done in a fun and interesting manner, but without even a hint of mocking to it.

Definitely worth seeing if you like Elton John anyway, and probably even if you do not.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Instead of watching Deadwood I somehow got possessed to watch a few episodes of the new Lucifer season.

The season arc so far is better than 3, and they managed to make the relationship between Lucifer and the detective a bit more complex after season's 3 events. Some of the character arcs are indeed a bit more adult - [spoiler]like Amenadiel becoming a father[/spoiler]. I think the shorter episode order is helping here so there's less fluff and the character arcs get advanced every episode. They are a bit more explicit with the religious/moral themes.

The problem is that at its core the show is still a rather mediocre "murder of the week" police procedural. I was hoping they would improve that part of the show with the move to Netflix (since it doesn't need to follow the formula of a broadcast-then-syndication show anymore), but they haven't.

Incidentally, the detective looks more like a crack addict than she did in previous seasons... they really do her no favors with her makeup.

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on June 04, 2019, 03:44:49 PM
Instead of watching Deadwood I somehow got possessed to watch a few episodes of the new Lucifer season.

I used to watch Lucifer but I don't have Netfilx. But I was getting a bit tired of the show anyways, in part for the reasons you mention. I think also the characters stopped pulling me into the show, stopped being that interesting to me.

Tamas

Chernobyl was awesome.

You guys probably can't appreciate just how much of Eastern Europe is in there, truly impressive from a Western production. Well, I guess the mannerisms couldn't fully shed the Britishness despite the great work of the actors, but still, great.

The only quote better than "not great, not terrible" was "why worry about something that won't happen?"

And in a priceless confirmation of how correct the movie was, and how little has changed, Russian NTV has announced they are making their own Chernobyl series, concentrating on the theory "not denied by historians" that it was a CIA agent who sabotaged the power plant.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: celedhring on June 04, 2019, 03:44:49 PM

The season arc so far is better than 3, and they managed to make the relationship between Lucifer and the detective a bit more complex after season's 3 events. Some of the character arcs are indeed a bit more adult - [spoiler]like Amenadiel becoming a father[/spoiler]. I think the shorter episode order is helping here so there's less fluff and the character arcs get advanced every episode. They are a bit more explicit with the religious/moral themes.

The problem is that at its core the show is still a rather mediocre "murder of the week" police procedural. I was hoping they would improve that part of the show with the move to Netflix (since it doesn't need to follow the formula of a broadcast-then-syndication show anymore), but they haven't.

Incidentally, the detective looks more like a crack addict than she did in previous seasons... they really do her no favors with her makeup.
I fully agree with your assessment.  I had hoped they might go a bit more radical with it and do something more meaningful with the material, but.... nope.  I've watched half the season so far and have no strong desire to finish it out.  Instead, I went with a more entertaining "murder of the week" in re-watching Cadfael.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Larch

I finished Chernobyl yesterday. Last episode's trial scene with Legasov's deposition lambasting the Soviet system seemed a bit too Hollywood for me.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on June 04, 2019, 09:13:43 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 04, 2019, 09:04:24 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 04, 2019, 08:36:55 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 04, 2019, 08:25:38 AM
Tried watching Good Omens. While its shot well, and the acting is good, I just can't get into it.

All the new material they added to stretch the book into 6 hours is quite meh, and some of the weaker parts of the book (the witchfinders, the witch...) are more apparent when given more airtime.

It's enjoyable, still, if you dig Pratchett's work (if you don't you can easily find it grating).

I don't think I've ever read him, and definitely didn't read good omen, but yeah those parts especially seem out of place. I do like the relationship between the crowly and ... long angel name. the beginning of episode 3 for example was great, but I feel like I'm watching now to finish the show since i'm halfway through and its not that long/.

That was the strongest part of the book and unsurprisingly is the strongest part of the show.

The radio play series from a few years ago is worth catching.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on June 05, 2019, 06:25:27 AM
I finished Chernobyl yesterday. Last episode's trial scene with Legasov's deposition lambasting the Soviet system seemed a bit too Hollywood for me.

Yes it was the weak point of the series I guess, but I am sure they felt it necessary to spell out the conclusions. However, the explanation of the workings of a nucular plant and the reasons for the incident was extremely well done I think. They could show it in high school classrooms.