News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on June 03, 2019, 09:16:11 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 03, 2019, 02:27:33 AM

I really want to watch the Deadwood movie, but I feel like I should rewatch the entire show first (it was long ago...) and that won't happen anytime soon...

I started to watch Season 3 again, got about half way through and stopped.

Here's what you need to know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6QboNS6FRM

That's scarily efficient in recapping the major plot threads of the show in just 3 minutes.

I also went and read some plot summaries to jog my memory. Will watch the movie tonight.

Syt

Apparently Netflix is making a Magic the Gathering anime.  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Chernobyl was really, really good.

I was really impressed that they went beyond just telling the story of the disaster, and made some rather important points, in today's world, about the damage of lies and attacks on the truth, especially those by the State.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

Tried watching Good Omens. While its shot well, and the acting is good, I just can't get into it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on June 04, 2019, 08:13:26 AM

I was really impressed that they went beyond just telling the story of the disaster, and made some rather important points, in today's world, about the damage of lies and attacks on the truth, especially those by the State.

Imho it came across as "Soviets being Soviets". The show made an effort to portrait the utter corruption of the soviet regime and I think that hurts the larger point (which is something you really can't blame the show for, they are portraying a particular story).

But yeah, I "enjoyed" it greatly.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on June 04, 2019, 08:25:38 AM
Tried watching Good Omens. While its shot well, and the acting is good, I just can't get into it.

All the new material they added to stretch the book into 6 hours is quite meh, and some of the weaker parts of the book (the witchfinders, the witch...) are more apparent when given more airtime.

It's enjoyable, still, if you dig Pratchett's work (if you don't you can easily find it grating).

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on June 04, 2019, 08:32:18 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 04, 2019, 08:13:26 AM

Imho it came across as "Soviets being Soviets". The show made an effort to portrait the utter corruption of the soviet regime and I think that hurts the larger point (which is something you really can't blame the show for, they are portraying a particular story).

But yeah, I "enjoyed" it greatly.

Hmmm, I don't think I agree.

Or rather, I think they struck a fair and correct balance. After all, there is no question that the Soviet regime is like some kind of incredible case study in how this very principle (the destruction of the relevance of truth when lies are the norm) can be so damaging in an extreme. But I think they rather subtly also made the point that the problem is not really unique by any means to the Soviets.

Now, I do agree that there are plenty of people who SHOULD take this lesson to heart who will simply ignore it as not applicable because it is just "Soviets being Soviets". But those people are going to ignore any lesson anyway, and the movie does a nice job of just putting the basic idea out there without beating you over the head with it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

Quote from: celedhring on June 04, 2019, 08:36:55 AM

All the new material they added to stretch the book into 6 hours is quite meh, and some of the weaker parts of the book (the witchfinders, the witch...) are more apparent when given more airtime.

It's enjoyable, still, if you dig Pratchett's work (if you don't you can easily find it grating).

I don't think I've ever read him, and definitely didn't read good omen, but yeah those parts especially seem out of place. I do like the relationship between the crowly and ... long angel name. the beginning of episode 3 for example was great, but I feel like I'm watching now to finish the show since i'm halfway through and its not that long/.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on June 04, 2019, 09:04:24 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 04, 2019, 08:36:55 AM

I don't think I've ever read him, and definitely didn't read good omen, but yeah those parts especially seem out of place. I do like the relationship between the crowly and ... long angel name. the beginning of episode 3 for example was great, but I feel like I'm watching now to finish the show since i'm halfway through and its not that long/.

That was the strongest part of the book and unsurprisingly is the strongest part of the show.

garbon

I've yet to start watching it and can't wait. I'm nearly done on another read through of the book. B and I (separately) went to a talk in which Gaiman, Michael Sheen and David Tennant participated in last week prior to the release.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

I started Chernobyl yesterday, and damn is it good. I'm only two episodes in, but I already assume it's going to be over way before I want it to finish.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on June 04, 2019, 09:42:37 AM
I started Chernobyl yesterday, and damn is it good. I'm only two episodes in, but I already assume it's going to be over way before I want it to finish.

I'm dreading watching the final episode for just this reason. I can only hope that the creators can keep this type of show going on other, similar topics in the future.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grinning_Colossus

I just finished Chernobyl.

3.6. Not great, not terrible.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Habbaku

Not great, nor terrible? That's the highest possible rating!  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien