News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 23, 2019, 01:02:32 PM
Don't think there is a Bourgogne Franche Comte AOC.  There is an IGP designation for Franche Comte. 

I'm up for a Star Trek spinoff that focuses on future regulatory changes to the French and EU wine appellation regime, but not sure there is a mass audience for that.
I'll be watching it.  So, you, my cousin, and I.  That's enough for me.  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I see there's a "In the name of the rose" series on Sundance tv.  Seems to be a US streaming network similar to Crave.tv.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

The Hustle. Remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Pretty funny.

The Intruder. Mediocre stalker film.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

London Irish, Brit TV (online?) show.

It's shit.  Shit writing, shit jokes.

Syt

Today I learned that during the peak of the Schwarzenegger/Stallone rivalry Arnold apparently tricked Sly into doing "Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot" by pretending he was interested in starring in it. :D

Quote"True. I read the script. It was so bad. You know, I've also done some movies that went right in the toilet, right? That were bad. But this was really bad. So I went in – this was during our war – I said to myself, I'm going to leak out that I have tremendous interest. I know the way it works in Hollywood. I would then ask for a lot of money. So then they'd say, 'Let's go give it to Sly. Maybe we can get him for cheaper.' So they told Sly, 'Schwarzenegger's interested. Here's the press clippings. He's talked about that. If you want to grab that one away from him, that is available.' And he went for it! He totally went for it. A week later, I heard about it, 'Sly is signing now to do this movie.' And I said, [pumps fist] 'Yes!'"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Don't think there is a Bourgogne Franche Comte AOC.  There is an IGP designation for Franche Comte. 

I'm up for a Star Trek spinoff that focuses on future regulatory changes to the French and EU wine appellation regime, but not sure there is a mass audience for that.

Administrative regions merged recently, this could explain the confusion.
Cheeses could be also affected if you want to broaden the appeal of your next Star Trek spin-off.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 24, 2019, 04:53:45 AM

Cheeses could be also affected if you want to broaden the appeal of your next Star Trek spin-off.

:lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Yes I'm aware of that but I don't think the AOC designations were updated accordingly.  Historically there isn't a precise correspondence - i.e. Bordeaux AOC is a regional AOC designation but not an official French region.  Given the differences in style between wines in Burgundy proper and those in Franche Comte, I wouldn't expect to see a global regional appellation covering the whole region, at least not as an AOC.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Devil at the Crossroads (2019)

Netflix's documentary about blues master and founding member of the Twenty Seven Club, Robert Johnson.  There's some archival footage of people who knew him (or claimed to have known him); interviews with professors of religion; a grandson and a number of musicians and even then they have to pad it out to make it over 45 minutes (in fact there is even a discussion about the Twenty Seven Club.)   Almost nothing is known definitively about Robert Johnson, other than he recorded 29 songs sometime in 1936.  Even his birth date and cause of death are suspect.  He was almost completely forgotten until the release of "King of the Delta Blues Singers" in 1961.  Furthermore "Robert Johnson" is such a common name that many of the people who claimed to have known him, may have known a different Robert Johnson.  So it's hard to separate fact from legend; and much of the documentary comes across as speculation.

High point of the documentary is that they sub-title Eric Clapton.  They didn't sub-title Keith Richards, though, he's so articulate.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Chernobly. Episode 2 was even better.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 24, 2019, 08:50:07 AM

Yes I'm aware of that but I don't think the AOC designations were updated accordingly.  Historically there isn't a precise correspondence - i.e. Bordeaux AOC is a regional AOC designation but not an official French region.  Given the differences in style between wines in Burgundy proper and those in Franche Comte, I wouldn't expect to see a global regional appellation covering the whole region, at least not as an AOC.

AOC designations were not changed and there are not plans to update them AFAIK for the reasons you give. Not that there were any plans to use the administrative reform to change AOC.
As for Bordeaux, given the huge artificial region created, Nouvelle-Aquitaine is actually the biggest one, it's probably the worst case

viper37

Pas de petit vin normand ou breton?  :(

The Minsky Moment

The only Norman AOC I'm aware of for alcohol is Calvados.  I can't think of any Breton ones either.  That could change in the future given global warming.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Northern France is cider territory, right?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 24, 2019, 01:51:05 PM
The only Norman AOC I'm aware of for alcohol is Calvados.  I can't think of any Breton ones either.  That could change in the future given global warming.

Normandy used to produce low quality white wine. They still produce good cider.
Breton AOCs would be for cider, I don't think they ever produced wine.

PS: since Normandy and Brittany are seen as West rather than North, North France is beer territory.