And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on May 03, 2019, 09:36:57 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 03, 2019, 07:52:56 AM
I think there has been some outstanding Marvel movies (Iron Man, The Avengers, Winter Soldier and Black Panther); but it's the shooting match rather than the individual shot that makes the MCU.
Add Civil War and both Ant-Man to the list and we have a deal! :)

I could see Ant-Man; what is it that you think makes Civil War outstanding?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Endgame

I've mixed thoughts. It was entertaining but too long and definitely incomprehensible if you'd not seen the other films. Was mostly call backs anchored on a pretty thin plot. Still nice wrap up for many of the existing characters and plot lines.

I couldn't help but feel that it needed more editing and there were many minor scenes that would work better as extras on a DVD.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on May 03, 2019, 03:25:27 PM
I could see Ant-Man; what is it that you think makes Civil War outstanding?

I think it's essential to understand how this universe works, the forces at work behind the scene, and a metaphor for our own societies: more government control vs less government control.

It's no longer about teamwork (Avengers 1), it's about divided/conflicted loyalties, friendship and duty, how should you react to what you believe is right, how hard should you fight for order vs freedom?  Does more freedom always equate with more chaos?  Does more control always equate with better security for everyone?  What is the price we are willing to pay for freedom or for our own security?

How easy is it for good intentions to become evilness incarnate?

It raises all kinds of interesting questions, I believe.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Also, you get to see the heroes fight each other.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2019, 02:09:37 PM
I couldn't help but feel that it needed more editing and there were many minor scenes that would work better as extras on a DVD.

Ie never viewed by anyone?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on May 05, 2019, 07:00:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2019, 02:09:37 PM

Ie never viewed by anyone?

Well the fanatics who teared up to the movie.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

Quote from: Savonarola on May 03, 2019, 01:16:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2019, 11:54:36 AM
[spoiler]Okay, so lets start with time travel.  It's usually a mess in movies, and no exception here.  I get that they wanted to avoid the whole "grandfather paradox"by establishing that any change just means the creation of an alternative reality.  But didn't the Ancient One say that creating alternate realities is bad?  And doesn't Cap'n America's going back to live with Peggy Carter, yet still being there on the bench to talk with Sam Wilson/Falcon, mean that he was still in the same reality?
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The more they tried to explain the "Rules" of time travel, the less sense it made.  In my opinion; the best method for handling time travel comes from "Austin Powers: The Spy who Shagged me":  I suggest you don't worry about this sort of thing, and just enjoy yourself. That being said "Eigenvalue of a Mobius strip" is among my favorite bits of technobabble ever.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Actually the timeline is even more screwed up than that.  Thanos, Gamora, Nebula and all of his troops came from 2014 to 2023 and then were disintegrated.  What happened in 2014 now that they no longer exist at that time?  I suppose the way around that is to say that Stark had the foresight to pop them back to their time with their memory erased, but there's no reference to any such action.[/spoiler]

Edit:

[spoiler]And now that I think about it he definitely didn't do that since presumably Gamora is still around.[/spoiler]

Edit 2:

[spoiler]And it doesn't help that the living Nebula is the wrong Nebula to send back anyway.  Although that would be quite the fresh hell for the character to be stuck in that time loop (try to kill sister, make up with sister, try to kill father, work with people trying to stop father, kill self, endlessly repeat).[/spoiler]

crazy canuck

It's for the best.  It would be cruel to make him endure 2016 to present.

viper37

Quote from: frunk on May 05, 2019, 07:01:00 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 03, 2019, 01:16:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2019, 11:54:36 AM
[spoiler]Okay, so lets start with time travel.  It's usually a mess in movies, and no exception here.  I get that they wanted to avoid the whole "grandfather paradox"by establishing that any change just means the creation of an alternative reality.  But didn't the Ancient One say that creating alternate realities is bad?  And doesn't Cap'n America's going back to live with Peggy Carter, yet still being there on the bench to talk with Sam Wilson/Falcon, mean that he was still in the same reality?
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The more they tried to explain the "Rules" of time travel, the less sense it made.  In my opinion; the best method for handling time travel comes from "Austin Powers: The Spy who Shagged me":  I suggest you don't worry about this sort of thing, and just enjoy yourself. That being said "Eigenvalue of a Mobius strip" is among my favorite bits of technobabble ever.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Actually the timeline is even more screwed up than that.  Thanos, Gamora, Nebula and all of his troops came from 2014 to 2023 and then were disintegrated.  What happened in 2014 now that they no longer exist at that time?  I suppose the way around that is to say that Stark had the foresight to pop them back to their time with their memory erased, but there's no reference to any such action.[/spoiler]

Edit:

[spoiler]And now that I think about it he definitely didn't do that since presumably Gamora is still around.[/spoiler]

Edit 2:

[spoiler]And it doesn't help that the living Nebula is the wrong Nebula to send back anyway.  Although that would be quite the fresh hell for the character to be stuck in that time loop (try to kill sister, make up with sister, try to kill father, work with people trying to stop father, kill self, endlessly repeat).[/spoiler]
all this is explained by the witch.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Solmyr

Eddie Teach

Avengers. I like the new Thor.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Avengers Endgame as well. I really, really enjoyed it and I felt it was a good "cap" on the saga.

I've watched all the Avengers movies and maybe three-quarters of the Marvel movie universe. I was a comic book kid growing up as well (though I gravitated to Batman and X-Men, not Avengers). This movie was basically made for people like me.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Malthus

The new Avengers movie made around a gazillion dollars.

Oh well, I guess we can look forward to nothing but more superhero movies into the foreseeable future.  :cry:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2019, 08:27:02 AM
The new Avengers movie made around a gazillion dollars.

Oh well, I guess we can look forward to nothing but more superhero movies into the foreseeable future.  :cry:
:showoff:

Oh, don't worry. There will be giant transformable robots too ;)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Liep on April 24, 2019, 08:18:01 AM
So Endgame is pretty good closure.

Or so you thought!

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt9L1jCKGnE
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point