News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 29, 2019, 07:02:25 AM
Sony's Into the Spiderverse is a pretty awesome movie.

:thumbsup:  Both in terms of animation and story I thought that was really well done.

QuoteThe MCU is a cultural cornerstone, it's individual movies not so much but it's just like Star Wars in that regard.

I think there has been some outstanding Marvel movies (Iron Man, The Avengers, Winter Soldier and Black Panther); but it's the shooting match rather than the individual shot that makes the MCU.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Quote from: Savonarola on May 03, 2019, 07:52:56 AM

:thumbsup:  Both in terms of animation and story I thought that was really well done.

I finally had the chance to watch this and I agree. It was really enjoyable on multiple fronts (I liked the soundtrack too).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on May 03, 2019, 07:52:56 AM

QuoteThe MCU is a cultural cornerstone, it's individual movies not so much but it's just like Star Wars in that regard.

I think there has been some outstanding Marvel movies (Iron Man, The Avengers, Winter Soldier and Black Panther); but it's the shooting match rather than the individual shot that makes the MCU.
Add Civil War and both Ant-Man to the list and we have a deal! :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2019, 11:54:36 AM

[spoiler]Kind of strange that instead of just re-setting the world, they bring back everyone who went missing.  Am I wrong in thinking that after 5 years away, having the world population double is going to cause a lot of problems?  Like you no longer have a job to go back to, your spouse may have remarried, that kind of thing?  How much do you want to bet this never really gets discussed in any further Marvel movies.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Since it was all life forms that would create over-population for any species with a quick breeding cycle.  For instance rats would have reached their equilibrium in a five year period but now half the rats from 2019 have returned.  Initially that would cause problems with infestation, then rat starvation and consequently the spread of diseases.

That probably won't be discussed in further Marvel movies...[/spoiler]
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

I actually found Thanos to be a sympathetic character - [spoiler]After he does what he thinks is in the best interests of the universe he destroys the things that gives him ultimate power and risks killing himself in the act.  The movie made a weak attempt at showing what the effects of depopulation might be.  But all they really showed was empty streets and a boring scene were someone recounts that he and his date cried during their first date.  There was also an odd comment about some positive effects about whales coming back to the harbour (although the reason whales are absent now is because they have already been depopulated and so I am not sure how they survived another 50% cull).

The main reason returning the missing is a universal good was so that ninja arrow shooting guy could get his family back.  On balance Stark probably should have made a different decision about whether to assist.[/spoiler]

Savonarola

[spoiler]For as much as the end scene from Endgame made you think Captain Marvel was going to be such a huge part of Endgame, she was barely in it.  And with as powerful as they've shown her character to be, she's going to have a hard time fitting into any earth-based movies.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]She has the Scatman Cruthers  (from The Shining) role in the film.  She shows up just in the nick of time to save the day... and doesn't.

I thought the dumbest scene in the film was when she takes the gauntlet and all the superheroines strike a pose next to her.  I do hope some girls find that inspirational and that it upsets misogynists; but Captain Marvel can fly through an H-Bomb blast without getting her make-up smeared (a useful power if I've ever heard one), what's the Black Panther's nerdy kid sister going to do to help?  (Behold the power of vector calculus!)[/spoiler]

crazy canuck

Quote from: Savonarola on May 03, 2019, 10:46:42 AM
[spoiler]For as much as the end scene from Endgame made you think Captain Marvel was going to be such a huge part of Endgame, she was barely in it.  And with as powerful as they've shown her character to be, she's going to have a hard time fitting into any earth-based movies.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]She has the Scatman Cruthers  (from The Shining) role in the film.  She shows up just in the nick of time to save the day... and doesn't.

I thought the dumbest scene in the film was when she takes the gauntlet and all the superheroines strike a pose next to her.  I do hope some girls find that inspirational and that it upsets misogynists; but Captain Marvel can fly through an H-Bomb blast without getting her make-up smeared (a useful power if I've ever heard one), what's the Black Panther's nerdy kid sister going to do to help?  (Behold the power of vector calculus!)[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yeah, why she just didnt use the gauntlet herself rather than putting us through the torture of another hour of that movie is beyond me.  Also, she just took out the big baddy mothership single handed and someone thought she needed help to move across a battlefield? [/spoiler]

Tamas

Guys. This movie is for kids, you are not the target audience. Stop overanalysing it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on May 03, 2019, 11:27:02 AM
Guys. This movie is for kids, you are not the target audience. Stop overanalysing it.

You do understand what draws this disparate group together right?

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2019, 11:36:21 AM

A seething rage smouldering under the darkened ruins of a soul?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2019, 10:33:02 AM
I actually found Thanos to be a sympathetic character - [spoiler]After he does what he thinks is in the best interests of the universe he destroys the things that gives him ultimate power and risks killing himself in the act.  The movie made a weak attempt at showing what the effects of depopulation might be.  But all they really showed was empty streets and a boring scene were someone recounts that he and his date cried during their first date.  There was also an odd comment about some positive effects about whales coming back to the harbour (although the reason whales are absent now is because they have already been depopulated and so I am not sure how they survived another 50% cull).

The main reason returning the missing is a universal good was so that ninja arrow shooting guy could get his family back.  On balance Stark probably should have made a different decision about whether to assist.[/spoiler]

I agree that Thanos is probably the most interesting villain the MCU has come up with (other than Loki, who isn't even really a villain anymore).  Not that he's all that interesting, but at least they did give him a semi-plausible motive and backstory, and not just "conquer the world for the sake of power".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

[spoiler]Okay, so lets start with time travel.  It's usually a mess in movies, and no exception here.  I get that they wanted to avoid the whole "grandfather paradox"by establishing that any change just means the creation of an alternative reality.  But didn't the Ancient One say that creating alternate realities is bad?  And doesn't Cap'n America's going back to live with Peggy Carter, yet still being there on the bench to talk with Sam Wilson/Falcon, mean that he was still in the same reality?
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The more they tried to explain the "Rules" of time travel, the less sense it made.  In my opinion; the best method for handling time travel comes from "Austin Powers: The Spy who Shagged me":  I suggest you don't worry about this sort of thing, and just enjoy yourself. That being said "Eigenvalue of a Mobius strip" is among my favorite bits of technobabble ever.[/spoiler]

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on May 03, 2019, 11:39:22 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2019, 11:36:21 AM

A seething rage smouldering under the darkened ruins of a soul?

:D
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2019, 12:58:08 PM
I agree that Thanos is probably the most interesting villain the MCU has come up with (other than Loki, who isn't even really a villain anymore).  Not that he's all that interesting, but at least they did give him a semi-plausible motive and backstory, and not just "conquer the world for the sake of power".

I liked Ultron - even if his motivations are no more than he's a teenager who resents his father.  I thought James Spader really brought that character to life.

I agree that the villains are usually the weakest part of the MCU movies.  It's the relationship between the heroes that makes the saga tick (and it helps that the heroes are often more than willing to slug it out.)