News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

So the latest Simpson's episode, "D'oh Canada", was all about Canada.  I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a new episode of the Simpsons.

Starting out with a "Can you take us to Mount Splashmore" joke was pretty awesome.  Joking about the SNC Lavalin scandal with Trudeau was very awesome.  Rest of the episode was pretty "meh".  By the way Americans don't actually get free health care in Canada.

But at the end... did the show really have an Uncle Tom's Cabin reference?  That is all the kinds of awesome.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2019, 11:30:00 PM
So the latest Simpson's episode, "D'oh Canada", was all about Canada.  I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a new episode of the Simpsons.

Starting out with a "Can you take us to Mount Splashmore" joke was pretty awesome.  Joking about the SNC Lavalin scandal with Trudeau was very awesome.  Rest of the episode was pretty "meh".  By the way Americans don't actually get free health care in Canada.

But at the end... did the show really have an Uncle Tom's Cabin reference?  That is all the kinds of awesome.
I loved it.  The musical montage was a whole series of swipes at my neck of the woods in upstate/Central New York including very close by Oriskany, Utica, MVCC, and more.  They even nailed the appearances of buildings from those locations.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

No way I'm clicking that.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on April 30, 2019, 08:46:50 AM
Trailer for Sonic the Hedgehog :bleeding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvZaBf9QQI

Now that is just painful to watch. But granted if you could stomach Sonic games for the past 20 years you would probably be into it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Sonic is just bizzare. Why is that film even happening? 20 years ago i would get it but sonic isn't much of a thing now.
Will we see more of these retro throwbacks?
But yes. Looks awful. So very 90s/00s. Lets move it all to a Michael bay style American setting.

On avengers. I want to see endgame. But missed captain marvel when it was out. I shall have to wait 😔
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 30, 2019, 09:26:06 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 30, 2019, 08:46:50 AM
Trailer for Sonic the Hedgehog :bleeding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvZaBf9QQI

Now that is just painful to watch. But granted if you could stomach Sonic games for the past 20 years you would probably be into it.

"When top astrologers predicted calamity in the year 2020 the US government enlisted Jim Carey, Coolio, and the SEGA corporation to create project SIDREAL, a weapon to save humanity. The project was so horrifying that the resulting film was locked in a seal chambered at Fort Knox to only be used in the direst emergency. It has remained there for 20 years. Until today."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

I saw the avengers last night. I can report that some people around me really enjoyed the movie. They were laughing at things that were not funny; they were reacting strongly to things that were innocuous; and they were genuinely moved by the very very long ending. However if you are not a devoted fan I recommend giving the movie a miss.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2019, 09:07:54 AM
I saw the avengers last night. I can report that some people around me really enjoyed the movie. They were laughing at things that were not funny; they were reacting strongly to things that were innocuous; and they were genuinely moved by the very very long ending. However if you are not a devoted fan I recommend giving the movie a miss.

I don't know if you have to be a "devoted" fan, but yes - a lot of the enjoyment of the movie is how it loops back, or references, events from the prior 21 movies.  If you were going in cold (even assuming you had seen Infinity War) this film would be a mess.

crazy canuck

I saw a few of the movies so I got some of the references, but man did that movie drag on.

It got me thinking about the difficulty in understanding ancient literature.  There are so many references we can only guess at and likely misinterpret.

Best line of the movie - Thanos: "I don't even know who you are".  I feel you bro. 

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2019, 11:42:15 AM
I saw a few of the movies so I got some of the references, but man did that movie drag on.

It got me thinking about the difficulty in understanding ancient literature.  There are so many references we can only guess at and likely misinterpret.

Best line of the movie - Thanos: "I don't even know who you are".  I feel you bro.

But that was half the fun of the movie - catching all the references, and I didn't even catch them all - I had to go online to see what I'd missed.

[spoiler]For example, at Tony's funeral, the camera lingers on a handful of different people.  Mostly different superheroes.  But one of the last ones was... some guy standing by himself.  Apparently that was the same actor who played some kid way back in Iron Man 3 that Tony had befriended.  Apparently they had kept in touch.[/spoiler]

And yes - the first comment from everyone I went to see it with was "man, that was a long movie".

Speaking of not catching references... I was watching Life of Brian on Netflix the other day.  You know, I don't think I've ever actually watched that movie before - but of course I am very familiar with all of its best bits... "beside that what have the Romans done for us", "splitters", "lets look on the bright side of life".  But when Brian suddenly gets taken on an alien space ship for a minute or two it had a wonderful WTF quality to it. :)

But anyways, why did I bring up Life of Brian?  This movie makes no sense whatsoever if you don't have a fairly decent knowledge of Jesus Christ.  A line like "blessed are the cheesemakers" is nonsense if you don't know the Sermon from the Mount. 

And that movie is only 40 years old.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 02, 2019, 12:35:38 PM
But anyways, why did I bring up Life of Brian?  This movie makes no sense whatsoever if you don't have a fairly decent knowledge of Jesus Christ.  A line like "blessed are the cheesemakers" is nonsense if you don't know the Sermon from the Mount. 

And that movie is only 40 years old.

Well to be fair the movie makes no sense even if you do have such knowledge but you do get many more of the jokes. You can easily enjoy the Life of Brian without it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

One of the scenes that was most striking in terms of not meaning anything to me and being incredibly meaningful to a person sitting near me was [spoiler]when Captain America picked up Thor's Hammer.  Now I know only someone worthy can wield it etc etc.  But the person near me was positively orgasmic in her excitement that he was able to do that[/spoiler]

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2019, 01:02:03 PM
One of the scenes that was most striking in terms of not meaning anything to me and being incredibly meaningful to a person sitting near me was [spoiler]when Captain America picked up Thor's Hammer.  Now I know only someone worthy can wield it etc etc.  But the person near me was positively orgasmic in her excitement that he was able to do that[/spoiler]

[spoiler]No, you basically got it.  Now there was a scene in Age of Ultron where the Avengers are just shooting the breeze at a party.  At one point they decide to have a go at moving Thor's Hammer (Mjolnir).  Tony has a go at moving it with his full Iron Man suit going, etc.  Captain America does manage to budge it a bit, and Thor looked kind of worried for a second.

Then Vision picks it up later in the movie.

I thought it was kind of cute, but yeah I don't get "orgasmically excited" about it.[/spoiler]

celedhring

The guy sitting at my side was completely in tears by the end of the movie. Guy was absurdly into it. Given the stupid amounts of money it's making, I guess it works.

But yeah, most of the movie felt like a private party I wasn't supposed to attend.