Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2019, 10:41:08 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 31, 2019, 10:33:40 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2019, 08:30:13 AM
Love Death Robots. It's very uneven, and I'd say the strike rate for me has been under 50%, but since the episodes are so short, even the terrible ones go quickly. And there are a few very good ones.

Be prepared that some of them are pretty neckbeardy (i.e. lots of sex, gratuitous female nudity and various incel fetishes)

I was amused to see one of the writers was very much a Polish history fanboy--"John Sobieski" being one of the character names and "Sikorski Works" being the producer of Lucky 13.

Lucky 13 was one of my favorites.

The other ones I liked: Zima Blue, Good Hunting, Beyond Aquila Rift (the fanservice gets a bit embarassing there, but it's a good twilight zone-ish story), the Yogurt One (great parody of the benevolent AI trope), and the Friendly Hand (I wish Gravity was more like that  :P)

The others I found middling to bad. But as said, the good thing of the format is that even those don't overstay their welcome.

I liked Three Robots and thought the yogurt one was the worst of the lot. Well, maybe not as bad as the junkyard one.

Aquila Rift- friendliest spider ever?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

I thought the junkyard one was one of the worst of the lot (close tie with the cyberpunk chase one, which was a pointless excuse for T&A). So at least we can agree on that.  :P

celedhring

Now that I subscribed back to HBO I have a lot of new shows to go through. Started watching Legion, which I have read lots of good things about, and it's from the same guy as Fargo, which I find amazing. Yet for some reason I can't bring myself to like Legion. It's quirky, and I love these kind of puzzle stories, but for some reason it's not clicking on me. Maybe it's because I can't bring myself to like the characters, I feel like the show gets lost in the puzzle and quirk without giving me good reasons to care for the people in it. Anyway, it's interested me enough to finish it, but I'll consider so far a mild disappointment.

Savonarola

The Foo Fighters Back and Forth (2011)

I still think of The Foo Fighters as "That new band by Nirvana's Drummer;" even though they've now been around for a quarter century (eighteen years longer than Nirvana lasted.)  This rockumentary (what an awful neologism) covers the highs and (mostly) lows of the Foo Fighters.  It is interesting to see the band's (and especially Dave Grohl's) growth from a Nirvana clone (they hardly could have been anything else in 1994) to establishing their own identity as a rock band, to their acoustic work and experimentation.  The high point is at the very end where Dave Grohl admits that the band name is stupid and says he wishes that he had spent more time on that.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

"Upstart Crow"

A BBC period sitcom on William Shakespeares home life/work troubles.

Now normally, I would expect a period sitcom to be terrible...but this is actually quite good.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 19, 2019, 12:12:39 PM
Now normally, I would expect a period sitcom to be terrible...but this is actually quite good.

Blackadder, Hogan's Heroes, Happy Days, The Wonder Years...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 19, 2019, 12:52:04 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 19, 2019, 12:12:39 PM

Blackadder, Hogan's Heroes, Happy Days, The Wonder Years...

"Upstart Crow" is worth adding to that list, it's very good.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

This looks like a lot of fun

https://youtu.be/HZ7PAyCDwEg

Good call to get rid of Vin Diesel.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: Liep on April 20, 2019, 02:28:51 PM

Get rid? Like how he's going to be in the next one in 2020? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2018, 03:51:43 AM
https://www.buzzfeed.com/krystieyandoli/allison-macks-keith-raniere?utm_term=.bcYX42b2pE#.rmexprarRN

QuoteAllison Mack, a 35-year-old actor best known for playing Chloe Sullivan on Smallville, is believed to have been part of a cult in which women were pressured into acting as sex slaves.

Keith Raniere was arrested on Sunday in Mexico for allegedly creating a master-slave cult within the facade of a self-help organization called NXIVM (pronounced "nex-e-um"). In a federal criminal complaint, authorities alleged he manipulated and entrapped women into "master-slave" sexual relationships, forcing them to follow strict diets and respond to his call at all hours of the night.

:o

She plead guilty

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/allison-mack-of-smallville-pleads-guilty-in-nxivm-sex-trafficking-case/ar-BBVJEu7?ocid=spartanntp
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

So Endgame is pretty good closure.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

dps

Remember when the franchise was about illegal street racing?

Tamas

Quote from: dps on April 24, 2019, 11:16:00 AM

"Dominik" has become one of the most popular boy's name for newborns in Hungary the past several years. A journalist claimed he researched it and it was on the top spot in years when a Fast and Furios movie was released. :bleeding:

The Larch

It's been a while since it became a completely over the top action heist franchise, though.

AFAIK Vin Diesel and others from the original cast got really mad at Dwayne Johnson because of this movie, accusing him of taking over the franchise.

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on April 24, 2019, 12:36:10 PM

It's been a while since it became a completely over the top action heist franchise, though.

AFAIK Vin Diesel and others from the original cast got really mad at Dwayne Johnson because of this movie, accusing him of taking over the franchise.
the 5th one was on the fence.  6th and 7th were just plain silly over the top action flicks.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.