And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Savonarola

Springsteen on Broadway (2018)

A filmed production of the Boss's one man Broadway show.  He tells stories of his life, sings some of his songs and occasionally gives us an inspirational pep-talk.  The stories are great; I learned that the personas (mostly) in Bruce's early songs are complete fabrications; he didn't drag race, never worked in a factory and wasn't a street kid.  (Not only didn't he race cars, he didn't even learn how to drive until he was in his twenties.)  The songs are hit or miss; outside of a couple tracks on Nebraska, I'm not a big fan of Bruce without the E Street Band.  He does do a blues version of "Born in the USA" that I liked.  The pep-talks won't be for everyone, but I liked them.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

I loved that show. He's a great storyteller and I appreciated that he didn't have qualms about taking apart his own artistic persona.

Tamas

Quote from: Savonarola on April 15, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

A filmed production of the Boss's one man Broadway show.  He tells stories of his life, sings some of his songs and occasionally gives us an inspirational pep-talk.  The stories are great; I learned that the personas (mostly) in Bruce's early songs are complete fabrications; he didn't drag race, never worked in a factory and wasn't a street kid.  (Not only didn't he race cars, he didn't even learn how to drive until he was in his twenties.)  The songs are hit or miss; outside of a couple tracks on Nebraska, I'm not a big fan of Bruce without the E Street Band.  He does do a blues version of "Born in the USA" that I liked.  The pep-talks won't be for everyone, but I liked them.   :)

If you liked this you should get the audiobook version of his autobiography, it is narrated by Springsteen himself.

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on April 15, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

My favorite Springsteen album is "We Shall Overcome", which is his recording of classic American folksongs and spirituals. I loved it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Shall_Overcome:_The_Seeger_Sessions
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on April 15, 2019, 06:00:13 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 15, 2019, 05:36:22 AM
I finally managed to watch "What we do in the shadows" last night. It was great fun, as expected, although some jokes felt a bit flat.

I think the first episode was the weakest, but it found its stride quickly. Not every joke lands, but the joke-to-groan ratio is better than I expected. I still remain skeptical they can make many seasons out of vampire jokes, but so far I'm happy with the show.

Nadja and Colin Anderson are the highlights of the cast for me - although Anderson is the one character I can see running out of gas quicker unless the find another shtick for him. Wasn't too sold on the other two male vampires at first, but they are growing on me.

Wait wait wait. There's a TV series? :w00t:
I'd heard rumours but had no idea it was even particularly deep in production 
██████
██████
██████

viper37

A discovery of witches.

Weird show.  One episode so far, a re-run of the 1st episode this week.
I want to like it, I don't dislike it, but it does not seem that good so far.

The story is simple.  A closet witch discovers a magical book by accident that awakens witches, vampires and probably others too, that were tought to be all extinct.  Needless to say, the witch hunters didn't do a very good job. ;)

Of course, since there are withces and sorcerers involved, the action is set in the UK.  Don't know what's so special about this country and witches! :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on April 16, 2019, 12:10:08 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 15, 2019, 06:00:13 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 15, 2019, 05:36:22 AM
I finally managed to watch "What we do in the shadows" last night. It was great fun, as expected, although some jokes felt a bit flat.

I think the first episode was the weakest, but it found its stride quickly. Not every joke lands, but the joke-to-groan ratio is better than I expected. I still remain skeptical they can make many seasons out of vampire jokes, but so far I'm happy with the show.

Nadja and Colin Anderson are the highlights of the cast for me - although Anderson is the one character I can see running out of gas quicker unless the find another shtick for him. Wasn't too sold on the other two male vampires at first, but they are growing on me.

Wait wait wait. There's a TV series? :w00t:
I'd heard rumours but had no idea it was even particularly deep in production

It's on HBO, there are already 3 episodes out.

viper37

The Great Wall (2016).

Chinese movies with great ambitions that utimately lack means.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Warrior seems ok.  As long as you like kung fu and titties.  Not too sure on how the plot will go from the 1st episode, but I'll see! :)

KRonn

Quote from: viper37 on April 16, 2019, 01:00:20 PM
A discovery of witches.

Weird show.  One episode so far, a re-run of the 1st episode this week.
I want to like it, I don't dislike it, but it does not seem that good so far.

The story is simple.  A closet witch discovers a magical book by accident that awakens witches, vampires and probably others too, that were tought to be all extinct.  Needless to say, the witch hunters didn't do a very good job. ;)

Of course, since there are withces and sorcerers involved, the action is set in the UK.  Don't know what's so special about this country and witches! :P

I saw the premiere of that also. So far not bad, and I'll see how it goes. I like the premise of the supernatural, alt reality type world, witches, vampires but done in a less antagonistic way. They keep quiet, keep to themselves, try not to let themselves be known. So it's not some kind of conflict with humans, at least not yet.

Eddie Teach

A discovery of witches.

Eh, it's a British show. We have tons set in the US.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 16, 2019, 10:02:26 PM
A discovery of witches.

Eh, it's a British show. We have tons set in the US.
Supernatural has a scottish witch :P

Savonarola

So long as I'm watching rock biopics:

The Other One: The Long Strange Trip of Bob Weir (2017)

I didn't know Neal Cassady (the "Dean Moriarty" character from "On The Road") was one of The Merry Pranksters.  The Grateful Dead were the house band at the Electric Kool Aid Acid Tests, and Cassady is "Cowboy Neal" in the song "The Other One."

I also learned that the nascent Grateful Dead was the backing band at strip clubs in San Francisco.  Only in the sixties.

Weir was sixteen when he joined The Warlocks.  He was only about five years younger than Jerry Garcia but looking at them together, even in the early eighties, he looks a generation younger.  Weir wrote some of the Dead's hits (notably "Truckin'") and he sings lead on most of their country or western songs.  Still, watching this, I kept thinking "Quit talking about yourself and tell us about Jerry."  Which is what he does about halfway through the documentary until almost the end.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Saw some of the first episode of Reign. Apparently people didn't have sex in costume times. As a connoisseur of teledrama I require boobs and butts.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.