News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODF-aJDgVLU

I'm really getting a kick out of Derry Girls.  Don't know who's showing it.  This is the first full episode I've seen. 

You can eat those accents with a fork and knife.

garbon

Channel 4 production in UK. It is really fun. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Ooooh... a new season of the Tick over at Amazon. Loved the first season.

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on April 12, 2019, 08:41:23 AM
Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

The United States and the Soviet Union create computers to run their individual national defenses; but then the computers take over!!!  :o :o :o 
Will mankind learn before it's too late?   :(

In 1970 that wasn't quite the cliche that the Terminator movies made it.  This film is about as far removed from the Terminator movies as can be.  It's slow moving and mostly dialog driven as the scientists try to outwit the computers.  A lot of the movie is shots of the gigantic 1970 era supercomputer processing away (some of the scenes would be reused in the opening of the Six Million Dollar Man.)

I read on IMDB that the evil super-computer wasn't a prop, but a real super-computer loaned by a computer manufacturer as product placement.  It's funny to watch now, as the computer was Moore's lawed into obsolescence forty years ago.  Your smart phone has more processing power than that computer (and, arguably, is a greater threat to humanity. :P)

One of my favorite books growing up in the 80s was a German "Encyclopedia of Science Fiction Movies" that reviewed 720 movies from 1902 to 1983 (some longer reviews for things like Metropolis or Star Wars, or Blade Runner, some shorter, like for Damnation Alley), which was my first exposure to many classics in those dark days before the internet. I pretty much devoured the book, and whenever a movie I recognized from it was on TV I'd make a point of watching it. One of them was Colossus. I really enjoyed the movie, but I'm not sure if it would hold up well watching it today.

Fun fact: Eric Braeden was born as Hans-Jörg Gudegast in Bredenbek, Schleswig-Holstein. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Colossus is still nice to watch nowadays, unless you have attention deficit disorder I guess.

Unfortunately, Eric Braeden is mostly known nowadays for a leading role in a soap opera.

PS : he was fun to watch in a psycho doc in the Ambulance. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099026

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 13, 2019, 05:43:46 AM
Colossus is still nice to watch nowadays, unless you have attention deficit disorder I guess.

Unfortunately, Eric Braeden is mostly known nowadays for a leading role in a soap opera.

PS : he was fun to watch in a psycho doc in the Ambulance. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099026

Yes, I watched it a few years ago and it's stood the test of time well.

I especially liked how the computer outwits the human politicians at nearly every turn.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Syt on April 13, 2019, 04:42:46 AM

One of my favorite books growing up in the 80s was a German "Encyclopedia of Science Fiction Movies" that reviewed 720 movies from 1902 to 1983 (some longer reviews for things like Metropolis or Star Wars, or Blade Runner, some shorter, like for Damnation Alley), which was my first exposure to many classics in those dark days before the internet. I pretty much devoured the book, and whenever a movie I recognized from it was on TV I'd make a point of watching it. One of them was Colossus. I really enjoyed the movie, but I'm not sure if it would hold up well watching it today.

Fun fact: Eric Braeden was born as Hans-Jörg Gudegast in Bredenbek, Schleswig-Holstein. :)

I had a similar devoured encyclopedia, that covered all aspects of Sci-Fi and was a great source of inspirations.

A quick google shows it had a 2nd edition before the 3rd become a free online edition. I'm probably 'late to the party' but it's here:

http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/

Makes an for an interesting comparison with wikipedia, as it has/hard three main editors, who are still responsible for a large amount of the content.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

If you only watch one thing today, watch "Game of thrones."

But if you watch two, watch Death of Stalin. Funniest thing I've seen in years. Really well done
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on April 13, 2019, 08:58:37 AM
I had a similar devoured encyclopedia, that covered all aspects of Sci-Fi and was a great source of inspirations.

A quick google shows it had a 2nd edition before the 3rd become a free online edition. I'm probably 'late to the party' but it's here:

http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/

Makes an for an interesting comparison with wikipedia, as it has/hard three main editors, who are still responsible for a large amount of the content.

Thanks for the link. Given the despise over here about "mauvais genres" (getting better though), books were not as good and/or incomplete translations.

Josquius

Finally decided to watch the new series of Walking Dead; I've cared so little after recent series it has been left so long.
So far so meh.
And I just learned Ezekiel is Cyborg from Teen Titans Go :lol:
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2019, 07:05:53 AM

But if you watch two, watch Death of Stalin. Funniest thing I've seen in years. Really well done

I wanted to like Death of Stalin. Gave it 20 minutes and then switched it off.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I signed up to HBO to watch GoT, and noticed they carry the What We Do In the Shadows show over here.  :w00t:

Watched all the available eps (3). The first is a bit clunky but then it gets better. I mean, it's not as great or fresh as the movie, but they're still hilarious. The one where they try to take over the Staten Island Community Board had me in stitches.

grumbler

I really thought that the producers of Death of Stalin were nuts to cast Steve Buscemi as Khrushchev, but I was wrong.  It was a very interesting movie that straddles a difficult line between horror and comedy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on April 14, 2019, 08:37:32 AM

I wanted to like Death of Stalin. Gave it 20 minutes and then switched it off.

Why? It was really good I thought.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

So, it looks like Werner Herzog is in The Mandalorian show. I pretty much have to watch this on day one, now.