And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Savonarola on April 05, 2019, 10:56:02 AM
A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Still a real horrorshow of a cine-picture to viddy.  What you would call the old ultra-violence seems tame by today's standards; but, my droogies, the old in-out-in-out with the unwilling devotchkas is right out vile.  The heighth of fashion scenery and costuming is horrorshow; but what makes the film real horrorshow is Malcolm McDowell.  That veck was an actor of what you'd call the old Bill of Avon stripe and wrapped his gulliver around the Nadsat so well that your humble narrator would believe it was a real language.

Brilliant review

Savonarola

I was reading more on Salvador Dalí; and came across a reference to a film he and Harpo Marx wanted to make for the Marx Brother's called Giraffes on Horseback Salad.  In 1996 a screenplay for that was found in 1996.  I see that there was a graphic novel was made based on the screenplay;  NPR just did a story about it.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

Quote from: Savonarola on April 08, 2019, 04:16:42 PM
In 1996 a screenplay for that was found in 1996. 

When did they find it?  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I've finally watched the first two episodes of The Orville. It is very good.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on April 09, 2019, 12:09:59 PM

Saw one episode. I didn't care for it. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Its....very weird.
I expected Galaxy Quest but its more....a homage to TNG, without any license. And huge emphasis on the light episodic stuff albeit with some interesting ideas.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

It's Star Trek with regular people which is fine by me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Seth McFarland can play a regular person?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on April 09, 2019, 12:16:08 PM

Saw one episode. I didn't care for it. :)

It got better over time and this season is pretty good.

Syt

Watched Ep. 3 of The Orville. Gender discrimination and forced sex reassignment was not what I was expecting for breakfast.

I was pleasantly surprised that they gave room for arguments on both sides of the dilemma (though more sympathetic towards the human viewpoint), kept the comedy content low, and didn't go for the "ending you would expect from Trek", and rather said that a society can't turn on a dime like that (though it might trigger slow change).

It tried to be something like Measure of a Man (and fails at that), but this was not worse than an average Star Trek "ethics dilemma" episode. Except that in Trek one side is often presented as completely right and the other being very wrong.
—Stephen Jay Gould

dps

Quote from: Syt on April 10, 2019, 04:07:31 PM
Watched Ep. 3 of The Orville. Gender discrimination and forced sex reassignment was not what I was expecting for breakfast.

I was pleasantly surprised that they gave room for arguments on both sides of the dilemma (though more sympathetic towards the human viewpoint), kept the comedy content low, and didn't go for the "ending you would expect from Trek", and rather said that a society can't turn on a dime like that (though it might trigger slow change).

It tried to be something like Measure of a Man (and fails at that), but this was not worse than an average Star Trek "ethics dilemma" episode. Except that in Trek one side is often presented as completely right and the other being very wrong.

You'll find that a lot of the show is very much driven by relationships and ethical dilemmas rather than monster of the week or space battle plots.  And yes, it tends to be a bit more balanced in its handling of ethics than Trek.

Savonarola

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

The United States and the Soviet Union create computers to run their individual national defenses; but then the computers take over!!!  :o :o :o 
Will mankind learn before it's too late?   :(

In 1970 that wasn't quite the cliche that the Terminator movies made it.  This film is about as far removed from the Terminator movies as can be.  It's slow moving and mostly dialog driven as the scientists try to outwit the computers.  A lot of the movie is shots of the gigantic 1970 era supercomputer processing away (some of the scenes would be reused in the opening of the Six Million Dollar Man.)

I read on IMDB that the evil super-computer wasn't a prop, but a real super-computer loaned by a computer manufacturer as product placement.  It's funny to watch now, as the computer was Moore's lawed into obsolescence forty years ago.  Your smart phone has more processing power than that computer (and, arguably, is a greater threat to humanity. :P)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on April 12, 2019, 08:41:23 AM

I read on IMDB that the evil super-computer wasn't a prop, but a real super-computer loaned by a computer manufacturer as product placement.  It's funny to watch now, as the computer was Moore's lawed into obsolescence forty years ago.  Your smart phone has more processing power than that computer (and, arguably, is a greater threat to humanity. :P)

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang, but an emoji   :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: dps on April 11, 2019, 04:38:31 PM
You'll find that a lot of the show is very much driven by relationships and ethical dilemmas rather than monster of the week or space battle plots.  And yes, it tends to be a bit more balanced in its handling of ethics than Trek.

I'm 7 episodes in now. They're revisiting a lot of classic sci-fi tropes, which is fine by me. The humor is a bit hit and miss, but it seems to be finding its stride more now.
—Stephen Jay Gould

dps

Quote from: Savonarola on April 12, 2019, 08:41:23 AM
Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

The United States and the Soviet Union create computers to run their individual national defenses; but then the computers take over!!!  :o :o :o 
Will mankind learn before it's too late?   :(

In 1970 that wasn't quite the cliche that the Terminator movies made it.  This film is about as far removed from the Terminator movies as can be.  It's slow moving and mostly dialog driven as the scientists try to outwit the computers.  A lot of the movie is shots of the gigantic 1970 era supercomputer processing away (some of the scenes would be reused in the opening of the Six Million Dollar Man.)

Saw this one 30-some years ago.