News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"Someone says to me: '[Ben Affleck's] Batman killed a guy,'" Snyder said during a Q&A after a Watchmen screening event, as seen in a video posted to Reddit on March 24. "I'm like, 'Fuck, really? Wake the fuck up.'"

Wait, does this guy think there really is a Batman out there someplace and he is giving us a more faithful portrayal of this historical figure?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2019, 09:27:41 AM
Quote"Someone says to me: '[Ben Affleck's] Batman killed a guy,'" Snyder said during a Q&A after a Watchmen screening event, as seen in a video posted to Reddit on March 24. "I'm like, 'Fuck, really? Wake the fuck up.'"

Wait, does this guy think there really is a Batman out there someplace and he is giving us a more faithful portrayal of this historical figure?

Possibly, I mean:
QuoteIt's a cool point of view to be like, 'My heroes are still innocent. My heroes didn't fucking lie to America. My heroes didn't embezzle money from their corporations. My heroes didn't commit any atrocities.' That's cool. But you're living in a fucking dream world," he added.

I think he kinda misses the point of superheroes as aspirational role models (DC's more so than Marvel's, actually). Not saying you can't have both, but you're removing a big part of why many people get drawn to certain superheroes. (And let's not forget that the way Superman and Batman tend to whale on people, it's hard to believe they don't even accidentally kill someone. It's kinda like stabbing someone in the Yakuza games, or smashing a motorcycle over their head, but all moves are considered "non-lethal.")
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Well if he wants to make movies about liars, embezzlers, and atrocity committers than I bet that would be good fodder for a few films, but he probably should get out of the Superman/Batman type movies then because nobody wants to see Batman embazzling funds.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2019, 09:38:13 AM
Well if he wants to make movies about liars, embezzlers, and atrocity committers than I bet that would be good fodder for a few films, but he probably should get out of the Superman/Batman type movies then because nobody wants to see Batman embazzling funds.

"I'm being indicted by the feds! Call my bat-lawyers and bat-accountants, Robin!"
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

A shitty movie's shitty PR stunt.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on March 27, 2019, 10:44:00 AM
I saw it in a horror film fest in Prague, on Halloween Eve, with a bunch of drunken Czechs. It made the experience more enjoyable than it would have otherwise been, but never liked the movie to be honest. It's quite stupid. "I gave you the MAP!!!!!!!"

I never understood all the hype about Blair Witch. Cannibal Holocaust, which Blair Witch plagiarised, did it much better.

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 29, 2019, 10:22:34 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 27, 2019, 10:44:00 AM
I saw it in a horror film fest in Prague, on Halloween Eve, with a bunch of drunken Czechs. It made the experience more enjoyable than it would have otherwise been, but never liked the movie to be honest. It's quite stupid. "I gave you the MAP!!!!!!!"

I never understood all the hype about Blair Witch. Cannibal Holocaust, which Blair Witch plagiarised, did it much better.

Did you contribute to the wikipedia article for Blair Witch?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Dangerous Beauty. Venetian woman goes on the job to support her family, and becomes a happy whore. Mild drama ensues. Not enough sexually repressed Naomi Watts.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2019, 09:38:13 AM

By day, a mild-mannered Wall Street broker. But by night his super Ponzi powers leverage billions in phantom funds. 
Watch as gentle Bernard gets his anger on and becomes THE MADOFF 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2019, 09:35:06 AM
I think he kinda misses the point of superheroes as aspirational role models (DC's more so than Marvel's, actually). Not saying you can't have both, but you're removing a big part of why many people get drawn to certain superheroes. (And let's not forget that the way Superman and Batman tend to whale on people, it's hard to believe they don't even accidentally kill someone. It's kinda like stabbing someone in the Yakuza games, or smashing a motorcycle over their head, but all moves are considered "non-lethal.")

That's what you find "hard to believe" about Superman and Batman?  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2019, 05:22:59 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2019, 09:35:06 AM

That's what you find "hard to believe" about Superman and Batman?  :P
:P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Kids are on spring break, and I took the week off as well.  So on Friday, we took the kids to see a matinee showing of Captain Marvel.

All in all a good flick.   I have a feeling I'm going to list more complaints than praise, but I (and the kids) enjoyed the movie.

It can't help but feel a bit anti-climactic compared to Infinity War, and nowhere near as funny as Ant Man & the Wasp, or Thor: Ragnarok.  It's yet another origin story, which we've seen a few times before.  Carol Danvers / Cpt Marvel / Vers  feels bit wooden at times - perhaps because of the whole amnesia storyline, or perhaps because she doesn't have the same effortless charm of a Robert Downey Jr.  We'll see how she plays out in future.

The anti-aging tech used on Samuel L Jackson has come a long way from even when it was used in Iron Man 2 - looked pretty good really.

Thought they'd make more use out of the 90s setting - other than a handful of gags about how slow computers are (and of course crashing into a Blockbuster) it could have been set in the modern time.  The soundtrack, however, felt right at home to this Gen-Xer.

Excited to see Avengers: Endgame next month though. :thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2019, 10:37:25 PM
It's yet another origin story, which we've seen a few times before. 
I think it would have been better had she been introduced in another movie, like Spiderman was.  Though not much room in the last Avengers, I guess.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2019, 08:37:48 AM
On Supes and Bats killing people in the newer movies: https://www.vox.com/2019/3/26/18282194/zack-snyder-batman-kills

There were parts I really liked about the Snyder-verse of DC films amidst the awfulness, but the Snyder fanboy bullshit that has developed over the "Snyder Cut" of Justice League and his embracing (or revealing of his true character?) of this new obsession with his efforts is awful.  His fans are the same clowns who are fighting the culture war for white males a la Gamergate and anti-Captain Marvel.  As others have mentioned, I feel he has a very solid disconnect from what the characters of Superman and Batman, and DC Super Heroes in general, have been for decades.  It is like he read The Dark Knight Returns and Injustice and called it a day.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

I think he's gone down the same rabbit hole as comic book writer Frank Miller.
—Stephen Jay Gould