News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on March 21, 2019, 04:22:51 PM
I had GI Joes, Star Wars toys, Transformers... but I always thought He-Man was trash.  The accompanying cartoon was terrible, there was no coherent story behind him that made any kind of sense...

Now maybe it's because it came out in (I think) 1983, and at age 8 I'd already be ageing out of action figure toys, but in any event I have zero nostalgia for He-Man.

I liked the dragon (he was only in a few episodes), that for some reason needed to wear a helmet.  :P

(and Teela had a nice pooper)

mongers

Watching a documentary about homelessness on London streets and by an odd coincidence I spot a friend of mine in the background handing out sandwiches to fellow homeless people.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on March 21, 2019, 10:35:32 PM
Watching a documentary about homelessness on London streets and by an odd coincidence I spot a friend of mine in the background handing out sandwiches to fellow homeless people.  :hmm:

Your friend is homeless?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2019, 10:47:26 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 21, 2019, 10:35:32 PM

Your friend is homeless?

Yes, I'd heard he was back in London and this seems to confirm it.

Admiral Yi

Josquius

Was it the one on Channel 4?
I saw the first episode which was in Manchester.
Pretty sad. On one bit they met a guy who told a story about being in hospital and whilst he was there getting evicted, the council failing him, etc... he spends all his money on hostels.
Turns out no. He's a druggy.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

When I visited Edinburgh earlier this month I was surprised at the amount of homeless people that there seemed to be around the city center. Didn't have that in mind as a big issue in the UK, to be honest.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 21, 2019, 03:04:10 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 21, 2019, 08:37:39 AM
The real He-Man is a 3 inch figurine.

I had He-Man toys as a kid...they were bigger than 3 inches.  :mad:

(as in, they were at least twice as large as the 80's action figure standard...e.g. compared to Star Wars/GI Joe action figures...which I also had.  :P )

You are right. He-man was a 5.5 inch figure. Bigger than SW on purpose.

There's a Netflix documentary called "The toys that made us" It's pretty good.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on March 22, 2019, 02:33:02 AM
Was it the one on Channel 4?
I saw the first episode which was in Manchester.
Pretty sad. On one bit they met a guy who told a story about being in hospital and whilst he was there getting evicted, the council failing him, etc... he spends all his money on hostels.
Turns out no. He's a druggy.

Many of the homeless tell elaborate stories to get by or it's an indication of why they might be on the streets; that guy was putting on his performance in order to feed his insatiable habit/addiction, still a sad story.

The London one was worth watching, but it focused on such a small extreme part of the problem, people begging in one of the wealthiest places on earth, Westminster, specifically the strand/theatre land, it's not a good representation of homelessness in greater London.

Syt

Bill and Ted 3 is coming.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

The second was awful. I imagine the third might actually be good, but...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on March 22, 2019, 10:05:03 AM
The second was awful. I imagine the third might actually be good, but...

Bogus Journey was awesome. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

I was 13 when it came out and Bogus Journey was indeed excellent at that age. Never seen it since and I guess I shouldn't.

The cartoon was awesome too.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on March 22, 2019, 10:14:50 AM
I was 13 when it came out and Bogus Journey was indeed excellent at that age. Never seen it since and I guess I shouldn't.

Thinking back on it... the really amazing part of Bogus Journey was the whole "duelling Death" scenes.  The rest was fairly forgettable.  But come on man - defeating Death via Twister?  And Battleship? :lol:

B&T3 will have to be something of a ret-con job though.  It's supposed to be how in their 50s, Bill and Ted still haven't written this amazing song they were supposed to.  But the ending credits of B&T2 showed newspaper clipping of them having this amazing career.

I hope this new movie is good - I'm definitely in "shut up and take my money!" mode for it.  Heck when the second one came out, I was 16, we had just moved and I didn't have any friends, but I actually wanted to see the movie so bad I went to the movies by myself to watch it.  That's the only time I have ever done that. 

But I know I'll probably be disappointed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2019, 10:25:29 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 22, 2019, 10:14:50 AM

Thinking back on it... the really amazing part of Bogus Journey was the whole "duelling Death" scenes.  The rest was fairly forgettable.  But come on man - defeating Death via Twister?  And Battleship? :lol:

In truth, those are the only bits I remember. You gotta give it to them, having a teenage comedy spoof Bergman of all things.