News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

He linked the same photo you did.  The inference he was making was pretty clear.  I apologize if I confused things by accepting the inference and did not expressly state it.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Mirror, mirror, on the wall who is the the biggest media corporation of them all?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2019, 11:20:55 AM
Well, I guess Lisa Simpson is a Disney princess now: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/19/media/disney-fox-merger/index.html

I don't think that's right.  The deal did not include the Fox network, Fox Sports, and Fox News (likely for anti-trust reasons, since Disney already owns a broadcast network and sports channel), and probably wasn't interested in the headaches Fox News would bring.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2019, 11:53:02 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2019, 11:20:55 AM
Well, I guess Lisa Simpson is a Disney princess now: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/19/media/disney-fox-merger/index.html

I don't think that's right.  The deal did not include the Fox network, Fox Sports, and Fox News (likely for anti-trust reasons, since Disney already owns a broadcast network and sports channel), and probably wasn't interested in the headaches Fox News would bring.

https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/

Top right.

https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/disneys-acquisition-of-21st-century-fox-will-bring-an-unprecedented-collection-of-content-and-talent-to-consumers-around-the-world/

QuoteThe acquisition includes 21st Century Fox's renowned film production businesses, including Twentieth Century Fox, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Fox 2000 Pictures, Fox Family and Fox Animation; Fox's television creative units, Twentieth Century Fox Television, FX Productions and Fox21; FX Networks; National Geographic Partners; Fox Networks Group International; Star India; and Fox's interests in Hulu, Tata Sky and Endemol Shine Group. Disney and 21st Century Fox entered into a consent decree with the U.S. Department of Justice last year under which Disney will divest 21st Century Fox's Regional Sports Networks.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Ah I get it.  The Simpsons may be shown on Fox Network, but is owned by 20th Century Fox, which is being sold.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Also, I guess Fantastic Four can come back to Marvel. They had stopped all comics basically as response to Fox just putting minimum effort into the license to make sure they didn't lose it.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on March 20, 2019, 11:33:56 AM
Mirror, mirror, on the wall who is the the biggest media corporation of them all?

Mirror, mirror isn't the phrase. /pedant
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on March 20, 2019, 12:27:20 PM

I will quibble with your pedantry, the Disney production did not use the correct phrase.  But since this thread is about Disney you are correct to defer to their version.

Syt

Blind Guardian disagrees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MBrEPUZh-U
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 20, 2019, 05:25:42 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 19, 2019, 10:41:04 PM

The Little Drummer girl
very good suspense, but don't go in this expecting some female Jason Bourne action series.  I guess it's closer to real spycraft.  Not that I really know that, anyway :P

In case you missed it on AMC, it's about a young English actress recruited by Mossad to infiltrate a Palestinian terror network in the 60s, in Europe and in Lebanon.  Miniseries, 3x 2hrs episodes.  Eric from Trueblood stars in it.  The female lead will have a supporting role in the upcoming Black Widow movie.

There is a lesbian sex scene at the end of the series. :P

Already adapted as a movie in the '80s. Read John Le Carrés book long ago. Worth a watch?
When I think of Jason Bourne, I remember the made-for-tV very first adaptation with Richard Chamberlain.  :lol:
Didn't know it had been adapted before and I never read this book from Le Carré.
It is worth a watch, if you liked Le Carré's novels.

As for Bourne, I am obviously referencing the Matt Daemon movies.  The novels were great too! :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2019, 12:40:55 PM

Blind Guardian disagrees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MBrEPUZh-U
Nice little band.  They're promised to a long and bright future.
;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2019, 12:18:01 PM
Also, I guess Fantastic Four can come back to Marvel. They had stopped all comics basically as response to Fox just putting minimum effort into the license to make sure they didn't lose it.
Maybe another reboot and they'll join the future Avengers movies ;)

Syt

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/netflixs-witcher-series-delayed-as-method-acting-henry-cavill-wont-stop-accepting-side-gigs/

QuoteNetflix's Witcher Series Delayed as Method Acting Henry Cavill Won't Stop Accepting Side-Gigs

GRAN CANARIA, Canary Islands — Netflix announced production of The Witcher has paused due to Henry Cavill, set to portray Geralt of Rivia, accepting repeated side-gigs as part of his method acting process. 

Trouble began right away as the crew started filming the show's epic opening scene where Geralt battles a griffin. After completing a handful of shots, Cavill left the set without warning. Cavill's agent told producers that he had signed a temp contract with a marketing agency and would need a few weeks to complete the job before he could return to his primary Witcher duties.

"Look, we all appreciate Henry's commitment to the character," explained showrunner Lauren Schmidt Hissrich, "but we can't get through two scenes without him suddenly leaving set to mow someone's lawn or help an old lady find her lost pan. We're never going to finish the show at this rate."

Adding to Netflix's frustrations, the method acting process has allegedly not improved Cavill's performance, which cast members described as "wooden." However, some have commented that his stilted demeanor and dead-eyed glare are surprisingly true to how Geralt is portrayed in the video games.

"What can I say? Job is a job," explained a fully costumed Cavill when we caught up with him at a local Starbucks, where he'd taken part-time work as a barista. "I'll take any contract. If you've got the coin. Witcher's code. Venti macchiato for Cledwyn!"

After wrangling Cavill back to set, shooting was reportedly still behind schedule due to him forcing crew members to play rounds of Gwent for hours at a time.

:lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Sounds like he's going full Margot Kidder.