News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2019, 11:55:20 AM
Watched The Favourite this weekend with Emily.  I liked it but she HATED it. :hmm: (yes, I know it is full of historical inaccuracies)

Why did she hate it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

She mainly complained about how the ending was "so stupid".
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2019, 11:59:49 AM

I agree. Could you believe they would get rid of Marlborough after he nearly won the war? Ridiculous.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

As an aside, isn't Winston Churchill a descendant of Rachel Weisz's character? :hmm:

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2019, 12:16:11 PM
As an aside, isn't Winston Churchill a descendant of Rachel Weisz's character? :hmm:

Yup, and Princess Diana as well.

Caliga

Oh.  Makes sense as I know the Spencers are related to the Churchills.

Habbaku

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2019, 11:59:49 AM

:huh: Elaborate.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

Quote from: Habbaku on March 18, 2019, 12:25:48 PM
:huh: Elaborate.
As in it just sorta ended.  I take it you don't agree?  Neither do I.  I liked it (including the ending).

Valmy

I was glad to see something set in the early 18th century, not really a time period explored in movies about England usually, but was really sad they didn't have Prince George in it (having died before the movie stated) as I think he was super cool.

Caliga

I think one of the criticisms of the film was that Prince George WAS alive for most of the supposed timeline of it?

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2019, 12:47:36 PM
I think one of the criticisms of the film was that Prince George WAS alive for most of the supposed timeline of it?

One of the nicest people to ever be a Royal and not be brutally murdered for it and he barely got mentioned. I was sad.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2019, 12:47:36 PM

Yeah, in fact Sarah's lack of sympathy when he died was a major cause of their rift, but then the filmmakers make no attempt to claim historical accuracy.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on March 18, 2019, 12:45:50 PM
I was glad to see something set in the early 18th century, not really a time period explored in movies about England usually,
yeah, I'm still waiting for the historical movie were Montcalm pushes back the English to England and takes the fight over there.  :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on March 18, 2019, 04:07:23 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 18, 2019, 12:45:50 PM
I was glad to see something set in the early 18th century, not really a time period explored in movies about England usually,
yeah, I'm still waiting for the historical movie were Montcalm pushes back the English to England and takes the fight over there.  :(

"The only one who can stop zombie Montcalm's undead horde of musketeers is ... zombie Wolfe! So we must perform the dark ceremony to raise him from his crypt, before London is overrun!"

"But will dabbling in Black Magic, even for such a good cause, work out well for our beloved England?!" 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on March 18, 2019, 04:24:21 PM
"The only one who can stop zombie Montcalm's undead horde of musketeers is ... zombie Wolfe! So we must perform the dark ceremony to raise him from his crypt, before London is overrun!"

"But will dabbling in Black Magic, even for such a good cause, work out well for our beloved England?!"

Is this the new Susanna Clarke novel?
Que le grand cric me croque !