News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 21, 2019, 01:42:58 PM
Peter Jackson is an odd one. He made the execrable Mortal Empires the same year he made They Shall Not Grow Old. :huh:

Yep. The man is definitely an artist, but sometimes makes it pretty clear when he's just cashing in rather than really working.

I recently read the worst review of They Shall Not Grow Old, though:

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/peter-jacksons-cartoon-war/

Chris Hedges is such a bore.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tonitrus

Quote from: Threviel on February 21, 2019, 03:00:18 PM
Bezos?

Amazon bought the rights to produce a LOTR series...supposedly with Bezos's personal interest/assurances to the Tolkein estate.

Their Twitter/teaser page: https://twitter.com/LOTRonPrime

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on February 21, 2019, 05:03:07 PM
so it got bumped because of boobs?

Which haven't really been that common in the last few seasons, TBH. The sexposition accusation is more apt for the first few seasons (those scenes at Littlefinger's brothel, for instance), but it's been a while since they pulled that.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Not only on the list but high up the list.

edited for stupid typos.  I swear dyslexia is setting in.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

What's wrong, not enough time to grow a fabulous mustache?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 21, 2019, 10:26:41 PM
What's wrong, not enough time to grow a fabulous mustache?

Exactly.

Though I reckon I could come up with a 'Captain Birdeye' like spiky grey beard in a few weeks.  :hmm:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on February 21, 2019, 06:25:38 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 21, 2019, 04:47:36 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/arts/television/best-drama-series.html?mc=aud_dev&ad-keywords=auddevgate&subid1=TAFI&ad_name=1BEHA_20_XXXX_XXX_1P_CD_XX_XX_SITEVISITXREM_X_XXXX_COUSA_P_X_X_EN_FBIG_OA_XXXX_00_EN_JP_NFLINKS&adset_name=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2Finteractive%2F2019%2Farts%2Ftelevision%2Fbest-drama-series.html&campaign_id=23843215538310063&fbclid=IwAR2FKbi2gCWVo3G75a0rdxlme5-Sj0usW5FiZfOaZs3vcNVl0u-jPVpzukY

Pretty decent list, really. But no GoT on it?

Pshaw. That is bullshit.

And battlestar Galactica IS on the list?  Bullshit.  That show had two great seasons, and then a smattering of good to great episodes in three (or was it only two? They blend together in forgettability) tiresome further seasons, with a crap ending.

Yeah, that was definitely the one show that I had seen that had no business on such a list.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 21, 2019, 07:06:06 PM
Not only on the list but high up the list.

edited for stupid typos.  I swear dyslexia is setting in.

The list is in chronological order.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Threviel

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 21, 2019, 05:45:14 PM
Bezos?

Amazon bought the rights to produce a LOTR series...supposedly with Bezos's personal interest/assurances to the Tolkein estate.

That implies a series about Cirion and Eorl and the wainrider invasion. Or possibly the kinslaying. I would have preferred the fall of Númenor and the adventures of Elendil and his sons, but nice either way.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Threviel on February 22, 2019, 01:59:07 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 21, 2019, 05:45:14 PM
Bezos?

That implies a series about Cirion and Eorl and the wainrider invasion. Or possibly the kinslaying. I would have preferred the fall of Númenor and the adventures of Elendil and his sons, but nice either way.
Yeah, it looks set for that era which is awesome.  I am far more excited about that than "Young Aragorn".  If they want to ride the Game of Thrones politicking vibe, the build-up to the Kin-Strife and ensuing fall out makes a lot of sense.  You also have the fall of Arnor and the war in the North against Angmar around that time as well.  With the names on the map of places and the extension further East, I think the focus will be on Gondor though.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Threviel

Yeah, the kin-strife seems to make the best narrative. Great destruction and evil and a hero that undertakes a journey to restore the kingdom. Arthedain still standing so they could possibly weave that into the stories with some elves and dwarves on the side.