News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Y Tu Mama Tambien (2001)

I avoided this when it was first at the theater as it was billed as a Mexican "American Pie."  American "American Pie" was bad enough, a Mexican knock-off sounds excruciating.  It turns out the movie was nothing of the sort; it's much closer in spirit to "Il Sorpasso" or "Easy Rider" than any teen romp.  (Of course billing a film as a Mexican "Il Sorpasso" would not have appealed to many people.)

I'm not a fan of voice over narration (unless it's done by The Amazing Criswell.)  Otherwise the film was good.  I really liked how they'd be traveling while scenes of random Mexicanness would play out around them (the police beating a man, a flea market, a man driving cattle down the highway) usually without the characters even noticing.  There's a good amount of truth to that, but it's also like the running gag in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, where the knights would "Ride" by people engaged in absurd activities.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Larch

Quote from: Savonarola on January 15, 2019, 01:34:13 PMY Tu Mama Tambien (2001)

I avoided this when it was first at the theater as it was billed as a Mexican "American Pie."

Who on earth thought of that promotional tactic?  :huh:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: dps on January 14, 2019, 05:22:27 PM
I didn't realize (or, I suppose I had known but forgotten) that Farenheit 451 was made that long ago.  I would have guessed it was made about 1973 or so.

I believe that you're correct that it was his only English language film.

His only sci-film too. Yes, he showed up in Close Encounters of the Third Kind but it does not count though the English level seemed to be the same for the character played.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Larch on January 15, 2019, 05:05:49 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on January 15, 2019, 01:34:13 PMY Tu Mama Tambien (2001)

I avoided this when it was first at the theater as it was billed as a Mexican "American Pie."

Who on earth thought of that promotional tactic?  :huh:

Someone who didn't watch the film I guess  :P

Duque de Bragança

Creed 2

Watching Creed is not compulsory to enjoy this movie, however Rocky IV should (cue the Brain) for Drago, Creed and Rocky are back again. Creed [spoiler]almost[/spoiler] killed again? Revenge?
More [spoiler]human(e)[/spoiler] Drago inside than expected. Dolph fans rejoice? More than Aquaman which I have yet to watch (Two movies with Dolph AT THE SAME TIME in cinemas?!)
Remember, it's 2019 not 1985 anymore, politics-wise [spoiler]but not only the early detour in Ukraine is not really explained or exploited. Insert random generic Eastern block grey sky and buildings?[/spoiler]. [spoiler]Sadly specially for Gitte Nielsen though surgery is to blame too. Real bitch in the movie which explains a lot of the actions and motivations of the Dragos.[/spoiler]

End was too predictable IMO [spoiler]Drago Jr as a "bad" winner more interesting than Creed as the good winner.[/spoiler] but then it's a Rocky Creed movie.

Liep

2 episodes of the 3rd season of True Detective.

More impressed than with the 2nd season, but if it reaches the heights of the first is doubtful but less will do.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

Them! (1954)

When Man entered the atomic age, he opened a door into a new world.  What we'll eventually find in that new world, no one can predict.

Released the same year as the original Godzilla, this is one of the better "Atomic Monster" movies of the era (fans of MST3K have seen most of the worst.)  In this case radiation has mutated ants, who have turned carnivorous and now threaten (this being a Hollywood movie) Los Angeles :o :o :o.  You may not think this is such a big deal.  In fact you may think things would improve if some of the residents of Los Angeles, say the Kardashian family, were eaten by giant ants; but this is serious.  Left unchecked the ants will spread across the globe.  They could eat Washington DC next, or Moscow, or... huh, maybe radioactive giant mutant ants aren't so bad after all.

;)

Walt Disney went to see this thinking that James Arness would be perfect for the role of Davy Crockett.  Instead he was so impressed by Fess Parker (who has a bit role in the film) that the part went to him instead.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on January 18, 2019, 08:35:46 AM

More impressed than with the 2nd season, but if it reaches the heights of the first is doubtful but less will do.

I liked Season Two. I don't remember any of it now; but I do remember liking it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on January 18, 2019, 01:22:46 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 18, 2019, 08:35:46 AM

I liked Season Two. I don't remember any of it now; but I do remember liking it.

Yeah, it wasn't bad, it was just no where near as good as the first. And it took a couple of episodes before it got going.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on January 18, 2019, 11:58:35 AM
Them! (1954)

When Man entered the atomic age, he opened a door into a new world.  What we'll eventually find in that new world, no one can predict.

Released the same year as the original Godzilla, this is one of the better "Atomic Monster" movies of the era (fans of MST3K have seen most of the worst.)  In this case radiation has mutated ants, who have turned carnivorous and now threaten (this being a Hollywood movie) Los Angeles :o :o :o.  You may not think this is such a big deal.  In fact you may think things would improve if some of the residents of Los Angeles, say the Kardashian family, were eaten by giant ants; but this is serious.  Left unchecked the ants will spread across the globe.  They could eat Washington DC next, or Moscow, or... huh, maybe radioactive giant mutant ants aren't so bad after all.

;)

Walt Disney went to see this thinking that James Arness would be perfect for the role of Davy Crockett.  Instead he was so impressed by Fess Parker (who has a bit role in the film) that the part went to him instead.

With our luck, the giant ants would just breed with the Kardashians instead, leading to a horrible new reality show sensation. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2019, 02:25:09 PM
With our luck, the giant ants would just breed with the Kardashians instead, leading to a horrible new reality show sensation.

:lol:

Kim:  This has been a positive change.  I still love Kanye, but Myrmius is just so much more down to earth; and dating him, well it feels like my life has finally gotten back to normal.

Habbaku

In case it doesn't get said enough, I always enjoy your movie "reviews", Sav.  :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Savonarola

Quote from: Habbaku on January 18, 2019, 03:57:21 PM
In case it doesn't get said enough, I always enjoy your movie "reviews", Sav.  :)

Thanks  :)

Razgovory

Them was one of my favorite films as a kid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"