News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Why do you hate Little Red Rides The Hood and its ilk?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2019, 01:43:32 PM
We always put on a cartoon in the morning for the kids while they eat some breakfast on Netflix.

This morning before switching to the kids account, I see there's a new live action show Titans - based on the Teen Titans.  Now my kids love both Teen Titans Go! (and the Teen Titans Go to the Movies movie), and the older Teen Titans animated show.  I start the preview - immediately becomes apparent this is not meant for little kids.

Why do they do this - take an obvious kids show and make it for adults?
It's meant to be like their live action properties Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lightning, and Supergirl.  Their animated fare is their kids programming.  I doubt they'd limit an entire franchise/concept to being solely kids fare as it leaves a lot of potential wasted.  Also, a lot of kids who grew up with the Teen Titans cartoon when it originally aired in the early 2000's are now of an age where DC can lure them in via a live action more "adult" show.  I personally enjoy almost all of their programming from cartoons to live action stuff.  I am disappointed that Justice Leage Action seems to be dead in the water.  If you have a DC Universe account/want to try the preview, there are a ton of cartoons included.  I'm making my way through Batman:  The brave and The Bold when I get bored.  It's a great homage to the 70's and 80's era of DC Comics.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

mongers

Quote from: Habbaku on December 05, 2018, 11:45:38 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 05, 2018, 08:22:05 PM
Is 'Sicario 2: Soldado' worth watching?

I liked it. If you enjoyed the first one for all the tense moments and shootouts and cynical assessment of the guys in charge, you'll like this one too.

Finally got around to watching the rest of the film; holiday events messing with viewing etc.

Overall a good film, though the first 5 minutes are a trumpian wankfest, nearly put me off watching it then and there. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2019, 12:41:28 PM
The special effects were never great even for the 90s, and haven't aged well at all.  Storyline season two onward is still great though.

Disagree about the special effects.  They started out kinda rough, because they were the first show to go to full CGI, but they got good enough that DS9 switched to the B5 effects people for their last 4 seasons.  You are correct about the storyline.  I advise people new to the show to start with season 2.

The problem with the CGI in the DVDs is that the CGI is blown up nd then cropped to fit widescreen, because WB lost the CGI and it couldn't be re-rendered in widescreen or HD.  The film stuff is all widescreen and HD, even though it was made when widescreen and CGI were in the distant future.

We are still waiting for the reboot, while they reboot a lot of shows that never deserved a reboot (Hawaii 5-0, I'm looking at you).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: grumbler on January 11, 2019, 10:19:17 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2019, 12:41:28 PM
The special effects were never great even for the 90s, and haven't aged well at all.  Storyline season two onward is still great though.

Disagree about the special effects.  They started out kinda rough, because they were the first show to go to full CGI, but they got good enough that DS9 switched to the B5 effects people for their last 4 seasons.  You are correct about the storyline.  I advise people new to the show to start with season 2.

The problem with the CGI in the DVDs is that the CGI is blown up nd then cropped to fit widescreen, because WB lost the CGI and it couldn't be re-rendered in widescreen or HD.  The film stuff is all widescreen and HD, even though it was made when widescreen and CGI were in the distant future.

It's even worse on PAL DVDs with the higher resolution of PAL, regarding the special effects. Re-doing the special effects can be done, as in the Next Generation on blu-ray, but it's expensive and Warner is not Paramount.

The Brain

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on January 12, 2019, 07:44:33 AM
They raped TNG?

Nope, they just re-mastered them for high definition. We are not talking here about Lucas-like revisionist madness.
Star Trek TOS had effects redone more than remastered, but you could still choose the original effects.

The Brain

Finished The Borgias. Too bad they didn't get more seasons but oh well.

Eddie Teach

The one with Jeremy Irons or the dude from The Wire?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 12, 2019, 01:32:48 PM
The one with Jeremy Irons or the dude from The Wire?

Jeremy's Iron.

Admiral Yi

Ocean's Eight.  All chick Ocean's.  I was ready to be disappointed as with all chick Ghost Busters, but it was OK.

Duque de Bragança

Glass 2019

Last Monday at the Cinémathèque Française.
Some twists which Night Shyamalan himself made us promise not to reveal...
One door shuts, one windows opens.  :hmm: Yes, this brings an acceptable end to the series begun with Unbreakable. Fans should watch it, after all, that's about super-heroes and way above the generic super-hero fodder. Wish I could have watched the three movies in a row which were screened that very day. [spoiler]Conspiracy theory fans will like it too but it's still a far cry from They Live.[/spoiler]
Bruce Willis does not phone in a performance, which is the first time in a long while. A great James McAvoy made me think of Macron with his persona's lisp.  :D Samuel Jackson still good.
Pretty good for Hollywood.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 13, 2019, 03:42:35 PM
Glass 2019

Last Monday at the Cinémathèque Française.
Some twists which Night Shyamalan himself made us promise not to reveal...
One door shuts, one windows opens.  :hmm: Yes, this brings an acceptable end to the series begun with Unbreakable. Fans should watch it, after all, that's about super-heroes and way above the generic super-hero fodder. Wish I could have watched the three movies in a row which were screened that very day.

Bruce Willis does not phone in a performance, which is the first time in a long while. A great James McAvoy made me think of Macron with his persona's lisp.  :D Samuel Jackson still good.
Pretty good for Hollywood.

Sounds like one should check them out.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Farenheit 451 (1966)

In a bleak, dystopian future people have stopped reading books and only follow the most puerile of entertainments.  Intellectual development has been so retarded that the people of the United States have elected a reality TV show star as President.  He "Governs" by Twittering insults seemingly at random...

Oops, sorry, that was the 6:30 news; in Farenheit 451 the government has to actively suppress literature rather than just letting cable television and social media kill off any interest in the subject.   This is François Truffaut first (maybe only? :unsure:) English language film.  He didn't speak English very well when he made it, but he directed a mostly English cast and he wrote some of the dialog.  The film does seem a little off; and I think that's why.

This film was presented by the Detroit Institute of Arts when they had an exhibition on Star Wars costuming.  I don't know if the costumes were a direct influence on Lucas; but they are a good example of what he was trying to accomplish.  The Firemen uniforms tell you everything about the Firemen at a glance.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

dps

I didn't realize (or, I suppose I had known but forgotten) that Farenheit 451 was made that long ago.  I would have guessed it was made about 1973 or so.

I believe that you're correct that it was his only English language film.