And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2019, 05:17:52 AM
RIP William Morgan Sheppard. 86 years. :(

Best Soul Hunter ever (beating out Martin Sheen). 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on January 09, 2019, 05:12:43 PM
:) Atomic rockets rule.

In 1950 they were closer to the moon than we are now. Sad!

When Disney founded the Disney Corporation in 1923, they were closer in time to the first moon landing that we are today to the last.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2019, 10:10:22 AM

When Disney founded the Disney Corporation in 1923, they were closer in time to the first moon landing that we are today to the last.

That's really depressing. :(

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on January 10, 2019, 10:34:43 AM

You been waiting on that moon base, bro?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on January 10, 2019, 10:35:37 AM

I guess I can unpack my suitcase, eh?

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on January 10, 2019, 10:38:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 10, 2019, 10:35:37 AM

I guess I can unpack my suitcase, eh?

:console:

I was hoping to be shopping for Prada up there by now. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Savonarola on January 09, 2019, 03:05:40 PM

Heinlein was one of the script writers.  IMDB says that in addition to "Rocket Ship Galileo" it's also similar to "The Man Who Sold the Moon" also by Heinlein.

I wonder if movies like this influence people to become the engineers who designed the Saturn Vs in the 1960's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trackdown-trump-character-wall/

QuoteAn episode of the 1950s western TV series 'Trackdown' featured a snake oil salesman named 'Trump' who promised to build a wall in order to prevent the end of the world.

The television series Trackdown really did produce an episode featuring a "Trump" character who came to town claiming that only he could prevent the end of the world by building a wall (and also sold special force propelling umbrellas to deflect meteorites). The episode (S1, E30) aired on CBS in 1958 and was titled "The End of the World," featuring actor Lawrence Dobkin playing the role of "Walter Trump."

:lol:

Full episode for those interested: https://youtu.be/h1D2ynASqe4
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

The Happytime Murders. Amusing, if you like puppet sex jokes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Bad Times at the El Royal. Maybe would have been better as a tv series. Lots of twists, but not much time to really develop the characters. Worth a watch though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2019, 10:09:21 AM

I'm re-watching Babylon 5 again.  It never gets old for me.  Each time I watch it, I notice new things and the relevance to modern events is slightly different.  I'm 6 episodes into season 4, aka the beginning of the third age of mankind.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

KRonn

Babylon 5, great show indeed. I haven't yet seen it offered on my cable but it's one I'll want to watch.

Over the New Years holiday Sci-Fi channel showed a Twilight Marathon. I watched some and recorded some, still have a bunch to watch. Those are still good shows, most hold up pretty well. Some classic stuff.

Barrister

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 11, 2019, 03:32:52 AM
Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2019, 10:09:21 AM

I'm re-watching Babylon 5 again.  It never gets old for me.  Each time I watch it, I notice new things and the relevance to modern events is slightly different.  I'm 6 episodes into season 4, aka the beginning of the third age of mankind.

The special effects were never great even for the 90s, and haven't aged well at all.  Storyline season two onward is still great though.

Barrister

We always put on a cartoon in the morning for the kids while they eat some breakfast on Netflix.

This morning before switching to the kids account, I see there's a new live action show Titans - based on the Teen Titans.  Now my kids love both Teen Titans Go! (and the Teen Titans Go to the Movies movie), and the older Teen Titans animated show.  I start the preview - immediately becomes apparent this is not meant for little kids.

Why do they do this - take an obvious kids show and make it for adults?