News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quiet Place.

I expected much more from this. Preview's excited me.Reviews were really good. But I felt it lacked something. And not just conversation. 3 Deaf Ears out of 5.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on January 05, 2019, 08:07:40 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on January 05, 2019, 03:34:24 PM
This Island Earth (1955)

Probably best known as the fodder for the MST3K movie; this actually isn't a bad film.  The special effects were dated by 1996 (and some in 1955 as well; the creators were allegedly so embarrassed by the mutant that they left the theater when it first showed up on screen) but the story is interesting.  A mysterious man named Exeter gathers all the worlds top nuclear energy scientist into a laboratory, but for what purpose? (dunh, dunh, dunh.)

Most groan inducing goof is Dr. Ruth Adams (Faith Domergue) who says they call the lab cat "Neutron" because he's so positive. :bleeding:

Yeah, the MST3K movie suffers from the fact that This Island Earth isn't a bad enough film, compared to some of the other stuff they spoofed.

I disagree.  Many of the films they riffed on were actually painful to watch.  The black and white cinematography gave me a headache in some of those.  I remember one of them sounded like a helicopter was landing next door, half the movie was drowned out by some sort of mechanical buzzing.  I'm not sure that many people could sit in a theater through that, not that many people came to the theater for the MST3K movie.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

:nelson:

QuoteGlenn Close Upsets Lady Gaga, Taking Best Actress at the Golden Globes

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/06/movies/glenn-close-the-wife.html
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

You might save the schadenfreude for after the Oscars.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 07, 2019, 08:51:45 PM
You might save the schadenfreude for after the Oscars.

We'll see
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

RIP William Morgan Sheppard. 86 years. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Destination Moon (1950)

A secretive cabal meets in Washington DC.  Their goal: a journey to the moon.  Their members: leaders of industry and science.  Their pitch-man:  Woody Woodpecker.

:huh:

This was made at a time when just going to the moon was fantastic.  The story isn't much more than building a rocket, going to the moon, and taking some pictures; at the time of the film that was a greater adventure than anyone had been on.  There's a surprising amount of science (hard science, not Treknobabble) for a big budget science fiction film.  There are some things they got wrong but for the most part it's pretty accurate.

I think the Brain will appreciate this: the film was made at the dawn of the atomic age.  Our astronauts go to the moon using the most futuristic fuel the writers could come up with: a steam powered atomic rocket.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Why would a secretive cabal use a pitch man?  :hmm:

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2019, 02:28:18 PM
Why would a secretive cabal use a pitch man?  :hmm:

Woody was pitching the idea of spaceflight to the cabal, not the general public.

Edit:  The Woody Woodpecker scenes in the film were so dead-on that NASA would use them to explain the moon shot to the general public over a decade later.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Was the whole thing animated or just Woody?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 09, 2019, 02:38:09 PM
Was the whole thing animated or just Woody?

Just a Woody Woodpecker segment near the beginning of the film.

Razgovory

Quote from: Savonarola on January 09, 2019, 02:24:50 PM
Destination Moon (1950)

A secretive cabal meets in Washington DC.  Their goal: a journey to the moon.  Their members: leaders of industry and science.  Their pitch-man:  Woody Woodpecker.

This was made at a time when just going to the moon was fantastic.  The story isn't much more than building a rocket, going to the moon, and taking some pictures; at the time of the film that was a greater adventure than anyone had been on.  There's a surprising amount of science (hard science, not Treknobabble) for a big budget science fiction film.  There are some things they got wrong but for the most part it's pretty accurate.

I think the Brain will appreciate this: the film was made at the dawn of the atomic age.  Our astronauts go to the moon using the most futuristic fuel the writers could come up with: a steam powered atomic rocket.

Oh, this is a great movie!  The idea of using a cartoon to explain the science was used decades later for Jurassic party.  I think the movie was based on Rocket Ship Galileo by Heinlein.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2019, 02:49:50 PM
Jurassic party.

I've found who I'm voting for in 2020.

;)

Heinlein was one of the script writers.  IMDB says that in addition to "Rocket Ship Galileo" it's also similar to "The Man Who Sold the Moon" also by Heinlein.

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on January 09, 2019, 02:24:50 PM
Destination Moon (1950)

:) Atomic rockets rule.

In 1950 they were closer to the moon than we are now. Sad!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.