News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

New series of Travellers was good. Though not quite as world shattering as it seemed to be from end of the last.
Hope it's renewed as I'm curious what direction it'll take considering.... Stuff
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Watched first four so far in my Harry Potter marathon.

The more I watch, the more I realize Quidditch is a stupid game. It's all about one player catching the snitch before the other seeker. All the other stuff going on is just to give the spectators something to watch. It all means nothing.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Also been binge watching Animal Kingdom. Thought it got off to a slow start--but  it really gets good.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Black Mirror Baldersnatch - very slick execution. Cool experiment.... But crap almost non existent story.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on January 02, 2019, 04:58:37 AM
Black Mirror Baldersnatch - very slick execution. Cool experiment.... But crap almost non existent story.

I honestly do not get the hype. It's just a barebones videogame. I thought they would use the conceit to convey some clever existential horror, but nope.

KRonn

"The Blacklist" starts a new season tonight. Looks like this season will have some even more interesting twists and turns to it.

Eddie Teach

Do they still have new supervillains with cute nicknames every other episode?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

This Island Earth (1955)

Probably best known as the fodder for the MST3K movie; this actually isn't a bad film.  The special effects were dated by 1996 (and some in 1955 as well; the creators were allegedly so embarrassed by the mutant that they left the theater when it first showed up on screen) but the story is interesting.  A mysterious man named Exeter gathers all the worlds top nuclear energy scientist into a laboratory, but for what purpose? (dunh, dunh, dunh.)

Most groan inducing goof is Dr. Ruth Adams (Faith Domergue) who says they call the lab cat "Neutron" because he's so positive. :bleeding:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

The storyville Waco siege documentary, at 3 hours still worth a viewing.

[Insert a CdMsque comment about Janet Reno here]
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on January 05, 2019, 04:08:37 PM

Isn't that the one that has the Leopard 1 in it?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on January 05, 2019, 05:59:25 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 05, 2019, 04:08:37 PM

Isn't that the one that has the Leopard 1 in it?

Not that I'm aware, though along with the M2 Bradley, M60 engineering tanks (M163??), M88? (recovery), I was very surprised to see an M1 tank there. :blink:

I'd say it's worth watching just to see why CdM and others think the F B I alt-tag is so fitting.  I didn't realise just how shockingly bad the ATF was as well.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on January 05, 2019, 03:34:24 PM
This Island Earth (1955)

Probably best known as the fodder for the MST3K movie; this actually isn't a bad film.  The special effects were dated by 1996 (and some in 1955 as well; the creators were allegedly so embarrassed by the mutant that they left the theater when it first showed up on screen) but the story is interesting.  A mysterious man named Exeter gathers all the worlds top nuclear energy scientist into a laboratory, but for what purpose? (dunh, dunh, dunh.)

Most groan inducing goof is Dr. Ruth Adams (Faith Domergue) who says they call the lab cat "Neutron" because he's so positive. :bleeding:

Is the purpose sex?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Brain on January 05, 2019, 06:17:16 PM
Is the purpose sex?

Why, yes, it was an early anti-atomic energy film and, as such, it presents the dire warning that atomic energy will only lead to fornication.  If only we had listened. :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

dps

So, I've watched the first 2 episodes of the new season of The Orville, and I gotta say, I'm disappointed.  I hadn't watched the first season when it first came on 'cause I expected something along the lines of "Family Guy in Space" and I'm not a Family Guy fan.  But I'd heard it was a lot better than that, that it was actually a truer successor to classic Star Trek than ST: Discovery is, so I thought I'd give it a chance.  But from the 2 new episodes, it's more-or-less "General Hospital in Space". 

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on January 05, 2019, 03:34:24 PM
This Island Earth (1955)

Yeah, the MST3K movie suffers from the fact that This Island Earth isn't a bad enough film, compared to some of the other stuff they spoofed.