Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octavian

Quote from: Habbaku on December 14, 2018, 04:00:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2018, 03:57:45 PM
Quote from: Liep on December 14, 2018, 03:40:06 PM
Well, right. What's Watson up to these days?

I haven't seen her in anything since the rape cameo in This Is The End.

Google says she's done about a movie a year, none of which I had heard of.

Ditto, though hard to blame her for taking (what I presume to be) smaller roles after HP. She has a lot of freedom to only take what she pleases now.

She did Beauty and the Beast (2017)
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

celedhring

Noah was a big budget movie too, but given that it was an Aranofsky film it doesn't come across as a paycheck/stay relevant film like Beauty and the Beast. She's next up in Greta Gerwig's Little Women adaptation, which is a certainly intriguing project.

celedhring

Watching 1983, a Polish-American mini set in an alternate world where the Iron Curtain survived past the 1980s, as consequence of a set of terror attacks by an anti-communist group that strengthened national unity in the East. The mini is set in the 2000s when a nosy Polish cop and a uni student start to uncover a conspiracy that involves the higher echelons of the Polish communist regime.

It's very intriguing, although I hope there's more twists and turns to the story, since by episode 2 one starts getting a good idea what the conspiracy is about.

I find interesting that there's barely any commie symbology or ideology featured in the show (the show features a lot of political philosophy but always along the ways of stability vs liberty), so instead of feasting on Ostalgie the show tries to depict any hypothetical authoritarian regime in the developed world.

Josephus

She's a pretty good actress, and yeah I think she has a bit of freedom to take on roles she likes. Overall I think she's the best of all the Potter kids. Speaking of I'm gonna spend the Christmas vacation binge watching the whole series.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Tried that a while back and ran out of steam around 4 or 5.

Eddie Teach

No need to watch them all at once.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

On this picking roles she likes issue, like I said the movies she's been in have not even shown up on my radar. That doesn't necessarily mean her roles in them weren't super cool, but it does cast some doubt on either her judgement or her market strength.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2018, 05:16:15 PM
Tried that a while back and ran out of steam around 4 or 5.

yeah...if it becomes a chore, I may stop.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

She was in that one where Tom Hanks was a big tech guy and she decided to stream herself 24/7.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2018, 05:46:00 PM
On this picking roles she likes issue, like I said the movies she's been in have not even shown up on my radar. That doesn't necessarily mean her roles in them weren't super cool, but it does cast some doubt on either her judgement or her market strength.
...or your positioning as the arbiter of such things.  Judging by what she's been in since the HP movies, I think Noah, Beauty and The Beast, and The Circle all received quite a bit of marketing and wide releases with decent enough numbers.  Particularly the Disney powered Beauty and The Beast.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

The Death of Stalin. Leading Communist dies and other Communists fight for the top job. Good fun.

Hotel Artemis. Clarice Starling and the guy from Guardians stitch up criminals around the recycled set of American Horror Story: Hotel. Not much there.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Peter Jackson's non-Hobbit film, They Shall Not Grow Old, a WWI documentary. Really high-quality stuff and the making-of featurette after was almost as good as the main show.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Habbaku on December 17, 2018, 09:46:18 PM
Peter Jackson's non-Hobbit film, They Shall Not Grow Old, a WWI documentary. Really high-quality stuff and the making-of featurette after was almost as good as the main show.
I'm planning on catching the other showing on the 27th.  I wanted to go tonight but had prior obligations.  Good to hear it should meet my hopes and expectations.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

What a creepy transformation for Bale, Carrell, Perry (Rockwell's face is close, but not round enough, I think).

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

That's not Amy Adam's real face, is it?