News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on December 04, 2018, 04:57:47 PM
Man in the High Castle has become a bit of a slog this season. It was never the greatest of shows, but I stopped caring about nearly anything except the nazi/japanese intrigue subplots.

I got board with it last season.  I think I watched the first half of the first episode for this season.  The biggest problem is that the good guys aren't all that interesting.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: mongers on December 05, 2018, 08:22:05 PM
Is 'Sicario 2: Soldado' worth watching?

I liked it. If you enjoyed the first one for all the tense moments and shootouts and cynical assessment of the guys in charge, you'll like this one too.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: Habbaku on December 05, 2018, 11:45:38 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 05, 2018, 08:22:05 PM
Is 'Sicario 2: Soldado' worth watching?

I liked it. If you enjoyed the first one for all the tense moments and shootouts and cynical assessment of the guys in charge, you'll like this one too.

Thanks Habbs, I'll give it a spin tomorrow.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

You reminded me that it, like the first in the series, has a really well-done shootout scene about halfway in. This one showcases what happens when you pit semi-professionals against truly veteran soldiers.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Been on the fence. Now I'm not. :)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Solmyr

celedhring

Season finale of Man in the High Castle was probably the only really good episode of the season.  :hmm:

Guess I'll give S4 a chance when it comes out, probably to be disappointed.

Grey Fox

I fast forwarded so much of the season. Pretty much anytime Smith's wife is there.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I may have to start watching Poldark, after all.  :hmm:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Preach it! The pic a little out of focus but hubba hubba!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

My wife watches that show. I can safely say that both Syt and The Brain will be satisfied with what is on offer  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on December 08, 2018, 04:07:42 AM

/groan
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: The Brain on December 08, 2018, 04:07:42 AM

And that red head's in the way
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

MI Fallout. Okay, though the action scenes are less spectacular than I'd been led to believe.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

I decided to do a 7-Day free trial of the new DC Comics streaming service DC Universe.  I dove into Batman:  The Brave and The Bold as I had heard it was pretty decent.  I've not been disappointed so far.  A lot of great 70's and 80's characters are brought in and the stories are amusing.  Diedrich Bader does a solid Batman, but I miss the voices from the Batman/Superman/Justice League shows.  I'm going to give their Titans show a go as well.  I can definitely see myself using this for at least a month or two minimum with all of the content they have.  I'd suggest the trial to anyone remotely interested.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."