News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on December 04, 2018, 08:42:21 AM
There's also a healthy dosage of spy Scooby Doo twists, but those did feel a bit stale.

"Now President of Nigeria, let's see whose clone you really are!"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Berkut on December 04, 2018, 07:55:04 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 04, 2018, 07:39:35 AM
Yeah, Fallout was insane fun. Best popcorn flick of the year.

"Stupid silly Celed, so you thought we we're done? Here's another insane over-the-top action scene". That was my feeling throughout.

That sounds really boring. Literally.

Movies where the goal seems to be to cram as much over the top action scenes into a couple hours as possible bore me to tears after about the second one.

They are boring because they aren't very well crafted, usually. MI Fallout is a happy little exception.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

they're doing a CGI watership down. the original traumatized me.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Liep

Quote from: Habbaku on December 04, 2018, 12:11:28 PM
Anyone that can watch the MI: Fallout's bathroom fight and be bored isn't human.

:yes:

That was a The Raid level fight.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on December 04, 2018, 02:00:21 PM

I love the fact that they released the original on Easter, with this poster:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d4/1b/55/d41b5559777217330e8de43530fd3ed1.jpg

It was clearly marketed as a fluffy movie for kids, with cute and colourful animated bunnies.  :lol:

Little did those tykes expect the gory horrors that awaited them ...

Edit: if you want a laugh, google "watership down" and "trauma".  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Didn't see that ending coming.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Man in the High Castle has become a bit of a slog this season. It was never the greatest of shows, but I stopped caring about nearly anything except the nazi/japanese intrigue subplots.

Josephus

Star Trek Picard series to debut late 2019
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on December 04, 2018, 02:32:09 PM

It was clearly marketed as a fluffy movie for kids, with cute and colourful animated bunnies.  :lol:

In that vein:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringing_Bell

QuoteThe movie opens with a baby lamb named Chirin living an idyllic life on a farm with many other sheep. Chirin is very adventurous and tends to get lost, so he wears a bell around his neck so that his mother can always find him. His mother warns Chirin that he must never venture beyond the fence surrounding the farm, because a huge black wolf lives in the mountains and loves to eat sheep. Chirin is too young and naive to take the advice to heart, until one night the wolf enters the barn and is prepared to kill Chirin, but at the last moment the lamb's mother throws herself in the way and is killed instead.

The wolf leaves, and Chirin is horrified to see his mother's body. Unable to understand why his mother was killed, he becomes very angry and swears that he will go into the mountains and kill the wolf. He leaves alone, and when he finally comes upon the wolf he challenges him to fight. The wolf simply ignores him and walks away, and Chirin follows. This continues for some time, and Chirin realizes that the only way he can fight the wolf is by becoming strong like him. After much begging, the wolf relents and tells Chirin he will train him, knowing that Chirin intends to kill him one day. Chirin's training lasts well into his adulthood, and by this time he has become a vicious killer, and views the wolf as his father. Together they travel the mountains, killing indiscriminately.

One night the wolf takes Chirin to the farm where the lamb was born. Chirin claims not to remember it, saying that his home is on the plains with the wolf. The wolf watches while the ram graphically fights the farm dogs, then watches Chirin enter the barn, where the terrified sheep have gathered, while the wolf waits outside. Chirin spots a very young lamb that strongly resembles himself, cowering in the middle of the barn, and as he approaches, the lamb's mother throws herself in the way. Struck by this similarity to his past, Chirin is startled and confused, and leaves the barn without killing the sheep. When the wolf demands to know why, Chirin tells him that he can't bring himself to do it.

The wolf walks towards the barn to do the job himself, and Chirin begs him to spare the sheep. When the wolf will not listen, Chirin becomes furious and charges at him. After a brief fight, Chirin impales the wolf on his horns. The wolf expresses his gratitude and pride for Chirin, and dies. Chirin is saddened, but turns to the sheep in the barn, who quickly shut the door. When Chirin tries to tell them that he grew up on the farm, none of the sheep believe him, saying that such a terrifying animal could not be one of them. Chirin gives up and returns to the mountains alone.

As Chirin stands by a pool of water near the wolf's den, he hallucinates the wolf's reflection in the water next to his own. He turns to see the wolf, but realizes he is alone. Chirin stands alone in the mountains, yelling for the wolf, as the snow begins to fall, and as the movie draws to a close the narrator informs the viewers that no one ever saw Chirin again, but that the faint sound of his bell can still be heard in the wind on a snowy night.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2018, 03:03:38 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 04, 2018, 02:32:09 PM

In that vein:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringing_Bell

QuoteThe movie opens with a baby lamb named Chirin living an idyllic life on a farm with many other sheep. Chirin is very adventurous and tends to get lost, so he wears a bell around his neck so that his mother can always find him. His mother warns Chirin that he must never venture beyond the fence surrounding the farm, because a huge black wolf lives in the mountains and loves to eat sheep. Chirin is too young and naive to take the advice to heart, until one night the wolf enters the barn and is prepared to kill Chirin, but at the last moment the lamb's mother throws herself in the way and is killed instead.

The wolf leaves, and Chirin is horrified to see his mother's body. Unable to understand why his mother was killed, he becomes very angry and swears that he will go into the mountains and kill the wolf. He leaves alone, and when he finally comes upon the wolf he challenges him to fight. The wolf simply ignores him and walks away, and Chirin follows. This continues for some time, and Chirin realizes that the only way he can fight the wolf is by becoming strong like him. After much begging, the wolf relents and tells Chirin he will train him, knowing that Chirin intends to kill him one day. Chirin's training lasts well into his adulthood, and by this time he has become a vicious killer, and views the wolf as his father. Together they travel the mountains, killing indiscriminately.

One night the wolf takes Chirin to the farm where the lamb was born. Chirin claims not to remember it, saying that his home is on the plains with the wolf. The wolf watches while the ram graphically fights the farm dogs, then watches Chirin enter the barn, where the terrified sheep have gathered, while the wolf waits outside. Chirin spots a very young lamb that strongly resembles himself, cowering in the middle of the barn, and as he approaches, the lamb's mother throws herself in the way. Struck by this similarity to his past, Chirin is startled and confused, and leaves the barn without killing the sheep. When the wolf demands to know why, Chirin tells him that he can't bring himself to do it.

The wolf walks towards the barn to do the job himself, and Chirin begs him to spare the sheep. When the wolf will not listen, Chirin becomes furious and charges at him. After a brief fight, Chirin impales the wolf on his horns. The wolf expresses his gratitude and pride for Chirin, and dies. Chirin is saddened, but turns to the sheep in the barn, who quickly shut the door. When Chirin tries to tell them that he grew up on the farm, none of the sheep believe him, saying that such a terrifying animal could not be one of them. Chirin gives up and returns to the mountains alone.

As Chirin stands by a pool of water near the wolf's den, he hallucinates the wolf's reflection in the water next to his own. He turns to see the wolf, but realizes he is alone. Chirin stands alone in the mountains, yelling for the wolf, as the snow begins to fall, and as the movie draws to a close the narrator informs the viewers that no one ever saw Chirin again, but that the faint sound of his bell can still be heard in the wind on a snowy night.

Oh that sounds awesome for the kids.  :lol:

Though I still think Watership Down wins in this category - for sheer hallucinatory horror.

Just one of the ... less than child-friendly scenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzirfrSn_KQ
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Oh, I've watched Watership Down. :P

Ringing Bell has probably the best Sith Lord and Apprentice scene in any kids' movie, though:
https://youtu.be/DQt8CqVPNC4?t=1991

:P

(Hell, even the apprentice killing the master fist that theme :P )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Let me guess: this lamb cartoon is Japanese?

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2018, 09:42:37 AM
Oh, I've watched Watership Down. :P

Ringing Bell has probably the best Sith Lord and Apprentice scene in any kids' movie, though:
https://youtu.be/DQt8CqVPNC4?t=1991

:P

(Hell, even the apprentice killing the master fist that theme :P )

The whole movie on youtube? Awesome. I'm gonna watch that.  :)

celedhring

Ringing Bell is pretty great. It's definitely in the "children old enough to understand it won't probably care for it" category of animation, though.

mongers

Is 'Sicario 2: Soldado' worth watching?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"