News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Yay, season 2 of Future Man is coming!  The trailer for S2 sucks (and the S1 trailer is way too revealing), but the first season was so deliriously crazy I have high hopes.

viper37

Passchendeale.

Canadian war movie, centered on the battle of Passchendale (WWI).  That's about 15 minutes of people getting stuck in the mud while in Belgium and having mud thrown everywhere, with occasional body parts and soldiers too.  The first 5 minutes happenning somewhere in France, I guess, were good too.

The rest of the movie is spent in Alberta, in some small town (maybe Calgary, I'm not sure) where the protagonists lives.

I like the main actors, Paul Gross and Caroline Dhavernas.

The propaganda surrounding that movie on release, though... ahem.  "We came together as a nation for that battle".  Fuck it.
In the movie, the entire Canadian force of 60 men and one nurse are sent to relieve the British division under a flanking assault, and that division promptly withdraws once the Canadians arrive.  No need to fight, the Canadians are there, the war is over. ;)

And apparently, only English Canadians from western Canada and British fought over there.  No Frenchies from either side of the Atlantic, no one from Ontario or the Maritimes, definately no one from other British dominions.

Anyway.  It's a Canadian war movie (emphasis on Canadian), so you got what you expect, peace&love through most of the movie (ok, almost).

A Canadian sergeant (Gross) and his unit are fighting the Germans in Vimy, in the city.  Canadians start dying one by one and the two lone survivors are the sergeant and a totally shell shocked soldier.
Won't spoil it further than that.

10 minutes later, we're in Alberta, some nice little town, with some nice little fields (probably all destroyed by devilish oil exploitation now, according to some anti-canadian propaganda :P ).  The sergeant has been discharged for suffering of shellshock and sent back home as a hero for his actions at Vimy.

While recovering in Calgary, he meets a nurse (Dhavernas) and its love at first sight for our hero. The nurse has a brother who wishes to impress his future father-in-law, but his medical condition (asthma) prevents him from doing so.  Since his fiancée's dad is a well respected doctor, it's not really a problem, he makes him a document stating he doesn't have asthma.  Once it is known he enlisted, our hero follows him to the field of Flanders to watch over him (some déjà vu here...), and soon the nurse follows too. 

Now that we have 15 minutes left to the movie, it's time to see that famous battle the movie is named after. 

Something I described in my opening.

have a good night! :P

Ok. The ending is quite jesus-esque, a little too much for me.  But I got to respect my Albertan-Canadian friends, it's important to them over there :)

Not a terribly bad movie, not a terribly good one either, it's mostly a love story and a lot, like, yeah, I mean A LOT, of canadian propaganda when that movie was launched.  And throughout the movie too.  I don't think I have seen that much chest thumping since the glorious days of Rocky IV and Red Dawn 😁

(yes, I know, for such a small country, Canada performed very well, but you know, it's not like we fought that war all by ourselves, it ain't called "WORLD war" for nothing, I guess). 😉

Btw, here is what I found on German perception of Canadian soldiers:
https://www.quora.com/Did-Germans-really-call-Canadians-storm-troopers
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

KRonn

Viper, interesting insight and history on Canadian troops in WWI. Given their training and how they composed their units and officers, they had a very good reputation and were somewhat feared by the enemy as assault troops.

crazy canuck

Season 3 of Last Kingdom is up on Netflix

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 22, 2018, 09:01:40 PM
Season 3 of Last Kingdom is up on Netflix

:cool:

Doesn't look like it'll be on the BBC again, netflix exclusive now?  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

So they're remaking lion King. this annoys me
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on November 23, 2018, 12:08:33 PM

Why? All female cast?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on November 23, 2018, 12:11:24 PM

Why? All female cast?

They're calling it a "live action" remake, but it's very obviously a CGI-fest.

Some of Disney's other "live action versions of classics" have been well-received, but they tried to do something new with the story at least.  At least going by the trailer this appears to be a shot-by-shot remake of the original.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Josquius

Anyone watching Dr Who?
So political this series.
They've done Trump, they were about the only ones to do Remembrance Day right, racism...now Amazon :lol:
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2018, 12:27:58 PM

Why? All female cast?

Some of Disney's other "live action versions of classics" have been well-received, but they tried to do something new with the story at least.  At least going by the trailer this appears to be a shot-by-shot remake of the original.

They only show some shots from Simba's introduction, that's one of the most iconic parts of the original so they weren't likely to change that part much (same as they did with the ballroom scene in Beauty and the Beast).

I've heard they are doing away with "Be Prepared", for example.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on November 23, 2018, 02:26:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2018, 12:27:58 PM

Why? All female cast?

They only show some shots from Simba's introduction, that's one of the most iconic parts of the original so they weren't likely to change that part much (same as they did with the ballroom scene in Beauty and the Beast).

I've heard they are doing away with "Be Prepared", for example.

There was also a shot of the wildebeasts stampeding through the ravine
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on November 23, 2018, 02:24:23 PM
Anyone watching Dr Who?
They've done Trump, they were about the only ones to do Remembrance Day right, racism...now Amazon :lol:

Yep, really enjoyed the episode on the partition.  I think it had a weak start - they should have done more about the doctor taking on female form for the first time in a long time. But I think it is getting good now.

KRonn

Quote from: Tyr on November 23, 2018, 02:24:23 PM
Anyone watching Dr Who?

Hehe, I just watched the latest episode - at Kerblam.  :)  I've seen a couple more, just started watching it so I haven't seen the politics of it much. Good show though, offbeat and fun.

Liep

Watched the two The Raid films and quite liked them. The coordination involved in those fight scenes are really impressive but I think what I enjoyed the most was the sound effects. Holy shit.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk