News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on November 13, 2018, 05:49:18 PM
Finally saw the whole of Margin Call after watching clips on Youtube. I think it's a great movie. Focus on the story, doesn't try to explain the technical details (don't get me wrong, I liked that The Big Short tried to be edumacational, but they are very different kinds of movies). Generally doesn't try to explain details that are not important. Good acting, which you expect from Jeremy Irons et al. Hell I don't usually care much for Simon Baker but he does a good job here.

Agree pretty much with everything.  Some really good performances.  Useless to pick out Spacy because he always nails it. (double entendre yuck yuck)

Does anyone know if this is based on a real bank (Lehman? Bear Sterns?)  Or "inspired by true events?"

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2018, 05:25:06 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 13, 2018, 05:21:25 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2018, 01:07:36 AM
Deadpool proves reincarnation sucks.

Detective Pikachu looks like the fever dream of a millenial who played way too much pokemon, watched too much "Who Framed Roger Rabbi", and dropped a whole lot of acid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1roy4o4tqQM
I actually think it looks amusing.

:x
I mean, it's got to be better than Super Mario Bros., right?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

KRonn

Quote from: Josephus on November 13, 2018, 03:06:52 PM
So has Walking Dead jumped the corpse?

I've been looking for a way out, and am thinking this six year jump may be it.

On the other hand, it may get interesting again :hmm:

At first I wondered and will still think about that, but I think the intent is a new direction with larger roles for others of  the main characters plus new people. I'm thinking that the idea is to change directions a bit to keep things fresh as the groups move into a whole new way of life. A more settled and stable life, though of course with plenty of issues to overcome. We'll see how successful it is but so far with the first post-Rick episode I like it.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2018, 05:53:08 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 13, 2018, 05:49:18 PM
Finally saw the whole of Margin Call after watching clips on Youtube. I think it's a great movie. Focus on the story, doesn't try to explain the technical details (don't get me wrong, I liked that The Big Short tried to be edumacational, but they are very different kinds of movies). Generally doesn't try to explain details that are not important. Good acting, which you expect from Jeremy Irons et al. Hell I don't usually care much for Simon Baker but he does a good job here.

Agree pretty much with everything.  Some really good performances.  Useless to pick out Spacy because he always nails it. (double entendre yuck yuck)

Does anyone know if this is based on a real bank (Lehman? Bear Sterns?)  Or "inspired by true events?"

My impression is that it's "inspired by true events". But I don't know much about the 2008 crisis.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Outlaw King - the new Netflix movie about Robert the Bruce has amazing production value - it is as good as a major movie studio.  The story is roughly historical, although the battle at the end is a bit disappointing.   Also their portrayal of Edward II is interesting but less historically accurate.

All in all, the movie is a pleasure to watch as a period piece.

Mandatory Languish comments about sexuality:  all scenes involve hetero couples and there is likely content that will appeal to a diverse viewership.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2018, 01:32:11 PM
Outlaw King - the new Netflix movie about Robert the Bruce has amazing production value - it is as good as a major movie studio.  The story is roughly historical, although the battle at the end is a bit disappointing.   Also their portrayal of Edward II is interesting but less historically accurate.

Mandatory Languish comments about sexuality:  all scenes involve hetero couples and there is likely content that will appeal to a diverse viewership.

Do they have a scene of strapping Edward I's skeleton to his horse and having the corpse lead the English against the Scots?  :D

Now that would make an awesome movie scene. Malleus Scotorum indeed.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 14, 2018, 01:45:25 PM

Do they have a scene of strapping Edward I's skeleton to his horse and having the corpse lead the English against the Scots?  :D

They did deal with the subject, but in a different way.

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2018, 01:51:30 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 14, 2018, 01:45:25 PM

They did deal with the subject, but in a different way.

I just watched this and I thought it was pretty good.

I really enjoyed watching The One True King (Stephen Dillane, Stannis of Game of Thrones fame) channeling his inner Edward I. Perfect.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 16, 2018, 04:31:59 PM
I really enjoyed watching The One True King (Stephen Dillane, Stannis of Game of Thrones fame) channeling his inner Edward I. Perfect.  :lol:

Agreed. 

Liep

https://youtu.be/2wcj6SrX4zw

New Aquaman trailer. It definitely looks more Marvelesque, like Starlord meets the new Thor but under water and not as good looking.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

The Time Machine (1960)

I like how all the Eloi were blond in this version; demonstrating that the Aryan peoples are superior in even more ways than dreamt of in Nazi science.   :licklips:

;)

The premise of the Time Machine (that technicians were the cellar dwellers who became Morlocks and the upper class lived on the surface and became Eloi) was dated by the time of this film.  The director played more on the fears of nuclear war, and made humanity's split due to post war radiation.  In the film the Eloi are called into the Sphinx by an air raid siren; even though the nuclear war happened 800,000 years ago.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on November 19, 2018, 04:56:38 PM

New Aquaman trailer. It definitely looks more Marvelesque, like Starlord meets the new Thor but under water and not as good looking.

Looks generic. Make Atlantis great again!  :mad:

KRonn

I just saw the trailer today and it looks pretty good, agreed. Maybe more " Marvelesque" like you say.

Liep

Quote from: KRonn on November 19, 2018, 07:11:35 PM

I just saw the trailer today and it looks pretty good, agreed. Maybe more " Marvelesque" like you say.

In this case a word to describe the combination of fun and colourful, you know, the opposite of any Zack Snyder movie. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on November 19, 2018, 05:22:35 PM
In the film the Eloi are called into the Sphinx by an air raid siren; even though the nuclear war happened 800,000 years ago.

That's government services for you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.