Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2018, 03:14:36 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 12, 2018, 02:27:03 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 11, 2018, 10:39:16 AM
Who cares about Cassian Andor?  :huh:

Mr. and Mrs. Andor.

How traditionalist/heteronormative of you.
Mrs can designate a transgender woman or non heteronormative person who prefers Mrs at this particular point in time.

Don't ask me to explain more, I'm lost with all these LGBTQRSYT+++something.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on November 12, 2018, 03:24:06 PM

Mr. and Mrs. Andor.

Mrs can designate a transgender woman or non heteronormative person who prefers Mrs at this particular point in time.

The combination of Mr. and Mrs. suggests marriage (so traditionalist).

Also, yes Mrs. could refer to a transgender woman and if said woman was married to a male, that would be heteronormative ("denoting or relating to a world view that promotes heterosexuality as the normal or preferred sexual orientation"). ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2018, 03:29:16 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 12, 2018, 03:24:06 PM

Mr. and Mrs. Andor.

The combination of Mr. and Mrs. suggests marriage (so traditionalist).

Also, yes Mrs. could refer to a transgender woman and if said woman was married to a male, that would be heteronormative ("denoting or relating to a world view that promotes heterosexuality as the normal or preferred sexual orientation"). ^_^
I concede. ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

The last Dr Who show was one of the best

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Deadpool proves reincarnation sucks.

Detective Pikachu looks like the fever dream of a millenial who played way too much pokemon, watched too much "Who Framed Roger Rabbi", and dropped a whole lot of acid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1roy4o4tqQM
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

First Man: man flees to Moon, to avoid being emotionally available to his wife.  ;)

But seriously - the actual astronaut stuff was great, really gave a visceral feel for just how crazy it was to strap yourself into someone's high-tech experiment and blast off inside it.

The acting was good, but somehow the interpersonal relationship stuff just seemed off to me. You never get any real sense of what drives this guy to do such extraordinary things, other than, well, it's his job. The 'grief over dead daughter' bit was, I thought, overdone.

Though I have to admit, the part where his wife forces him to talk to his kids before going to the moon (where he was likely to die) was hilarious, in a black comedy way - he gives exactly the same performance as at a press conference, complete with 'are there any questions?"  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2018, 01:07:36 AM

Detective Pikachu looks like the fever dream of a millenial who played way too much pokemon, watched too much "Who Framed Roger Rabbi", and dropped a whole lot of acid.

Oy vey!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

So has Walking Dead jumped the corpse?

I've been looking for a way out, and am thinking this six year jump may be it.

On the other hand, it may get interesting again :hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 13, 2018, 03:06:52 PM

I don't know, I kinda like the little girl.

Solmyr

Quote from: Josephus on November 13, 2018, 03:06:52 PM

It has gotten interesting again.

Sophie Scholl

I actually think it looks amusing.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

garbon

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 13, 2018, 05:21:25 PM

I actually think it looks amusing.

:x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Finally saw the whole of Margin Call after watching clips on Youtube. I think it's a great movie. Focus on the story, doesn't try to explain the technical details (don't get me wrong, I liked that The Big Short tried to be edumacational, but they are very different kinds of movies). Generally doesn't try to explain details that are not important. Good acting, which you expect from Jeremy Irons et al. Hell I don't usually care much for Simon Baker but he does a good job here.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.