News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Some script writer apparently watched far too many episodes of "Behind the Music" and decided to make up his own movie following their formula.  Once again the band starts out unified by their dreams, but as success starts to come in dissension starts to arise largely because the lead singer is a self indulgent narcissist.  Then the lead singer loses all his friends and then dies of AIDS.  I'm glad Hollywood has come to it's senses in the age of Trump and started making message films about the dangers of excess.  The problem with the film is that the lead singer is simply too over the top to be believable.  He makes Sly Stone looks like he was living an abstentious life of quiet desperation.  The soundtrack is decent, though.

:P ;)

The film takes a lot of liberties with the life of Freddy Mercury, and by doing so, unfortunately, does really reduce Queen to an episode of "Behind the Music."  Rami Malek's Mercury is incredible and, of course, the music is fantastic.  There isn't a lot of character development, Mercury remains an enigma and his relationships with the other members of the band or even Mary Austin are mostly unexplored.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

The Sea Hawk (1940)

In 1940 1588 Germany Spain led by the wicked Adolph Hitler King Philip II desires to rule the known world.  Only plucky England  :bowler: stands in his way of complete hegemony.  While ze Germans  the Spaniards have their Luftwaffe Invincible Armada; they've proven no match for the  brave and daring RAF Sea Hawks.  The fight of dogs Swash and buckle ensue.

While not the most historically accurate film (oh you dastardly Spaniards); it is thoroughly enjoyable.  The naval battles are well done, Errol Flynn's was seldom more roguish or more charming and Erich Korngold's score is just about perfect.

Even though the film was made with an enormous budget; it ends before the battle between the Armada and the English Navy.  Instead it ends with Queen Elizabeth giving a speech about how the world doesn't belong to one man; but to all men.  Thank you British Empire, you've shown us a a better way.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Jesus, could you edit your post a bit more?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

I mean.. I'm probably going to subscribe to Disney+ anyway, but this seems like just as bad an idea as a prequel about Darth Vader or Han Solo only more unnecessary.

https://www.starwars.com/news/cassian-andor-live-action-series-announced
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Who cares about Cassian Andor?  :huh:

Oexmelin

Nobody and that is probably the point. Star Wars fans are so invested that it must not be easy to feel like you have freedom to tell certain stories. Plus he's been shown to be a slightly more grey character. Also, K2S0
Que le grand cric me croque !

FunkMonk

They need to tell a SW story set thousands of years in the future. That would be pretty cool. 
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tonitrus

Sitcom set in the cantina on Mos Eisely.

The Brain

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 11, 2018, 02:38:40 PM
They need to tell a SW story set thousands of years in the future. That would be pretty cool.

Wouldn't the galaxy have changed too much over the millions (?) of years to be recognized by fans?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

There would presumably still be wookies, twi'leks, sand people and gungans.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

We must ensure that Wookie civilization, not Sand People, dominates this galaxy now and always.

Syt

So basically Old Republic setting in reverse. Same concepts and races, but without the baggage.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on November 11, 2018, 02:43:33 PM

Wouldn't the galaxy have changed too much over the millions (?) of years to be recognized by fans?
Looking at the games, and some books, it seems not much has changed from the distant past (4000 years ago, IIRC).

You got Jedi. You got Sith.  You goth hyperspace, lightsabers, laser pistols, Star Destroyers, Republic cruisers, Republic falling&reemerging, etc, etc, etc.
Looking at Wookiepedia, it seems the not so distant future (100-200 years after Yavin, IIRC), things are still the same with Sith and Jedi vesting for control of the galaxy.

It's like Battlestar Galactica, everything has happenned before, everything will happen again. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.