Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 30, 2018, 12:28:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2018, 11:36:24 AM
But none of that is different from when I was a student a decade ago. :hmm:

So when you have kids in college, you can tell them that, and thereby shape their expectations of college accordingly.

Hopefully that will never happen. ;)

Understood on the rest, though I'd say it has been a problem for quite sometime and perhaps as with many things facing millennials and younger, even worse conditions as time marches past.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Oexmelin

Quote from: dps on October 30, 2018, 12:22:46 PM
Are you saying that many students no longer see going to college as an opportunity to party for 4 or so years?

Yep. And many who begin with this notion are soon disabused of it. College supervision is a lot tighter. Pressures of professionalization have been applied from high school. The costs have skyrocketed. They have a sense that the stakes are super high.
Que le grand cric me croque !

dps

Heck, I don't even remember there being any pressures of professionalism in high school.

Syt

John Goodman, Jeff Bridges, Steve Buscemi reminisce about The Big Lebowski:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNzquU4hjpk

:wub:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

What I do know now, is that many students report disappointment in that their college experience was much more isolating than what their parents had led them to believe.

I was worried about this with my oldest, who is a freshman in college now.

He was seriously considering a small, technical college that specialized in IT fields. They actually wanted him to play volleyball for them.

But it was a small school, maybe 3000 students. And when we visited, it was 3000 white males. I mean seriously, the student body was literally 80+% male, and all looked, well, just like my son. White, middle class/upper middle class boys. I really wanted him to go somewhere where he would be exposed to something different from the suburban school system he came from, which was, of course, 90% white middle class.

I worried that he would go off and just fit right in, be completely comfortable around a bunch of kids just like him, and not learn much of anything other than what he would technically and professionally need to get a job. He doesn't need any more practice socializing with other kids who are exactly like him, I don't think.

My counter worry, since he ended up at a much larger school with a much more diverse population, is that he will just isolate himself, and not really make any attempt to NOT be isolated, or not put himself in a position to actually interact with anyone outside his major.

On the other hand, what the hell can I do about it anyway? He is off to college, and hopefully will use the opportunity to do something other than get a STEM degree and play Fortnite.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

So where did you son wind up going Berk?  And it's two months in - how is he finding it?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

He is at University of Buffalo.

As far as I can tell he is liking it - his grades seem good, he is having fun, and staying busy. Its still early, of course.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2018, 11:36:24 AM
But none of that is different from when I was a student a decade ago. :hmm:

So when you have kids in college, you can tell them that, and thereby shape their expectations of college accordingly.

Parents of kids in college these days are in their mid 40s to mid 50s. They were not college age in the 1970s or 1980s, but they grew up consuming these sorts of movies. As far as I can tell, their experience of college was certainly not Animal Farm, but you could still see remnants of it, and live through at least some equivalence of similar experiences of socialization. As time went by, the discrepancy widened (and the specific college makes a difference, too - some schools always had a reputation for being party schools.). In ten, twenty years, college kids will no longer have these expectations, and their parents will probably not have the same romantic notions about college.

What I do know now, is that many students report disappointment in that their college experience was much more isolating than what their parents had led them to believe.

A factual quibble.  I am in my early 50s and I went to university in the 80s.

My own view is that the isolation being felt is part of the wider trend of isolation caused by everyone spending time staring at their screens and engaging over social media.  I was recently on campus at UBC and as I walked through a cafeteria most everyone was eating while staring at their phones.  Very little social interaction was occurring on a direct personal level.   

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on October 30, 2018, 08:52:04 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 30, 2018, 08:30:18 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 29, 2018, 07:36:05 PM
I guess that Caddyshack is one of those movies that Americans rave all over them and the rest of the world collectively shrug their shoulders, right?  :unsure:

Animal House being another one.

Porky's and Up the Creek were huge when I was a kid, though.

I had to check which movie was "Up the Creek".  :lol: Aaah, the wonders of surreal Spanish titles of that era.

Animal House being renamed American College for French-speaking countries outside of Québec (Collège américain).  :lol:
Up the Creek did not leave a lasting impression in France it seems.

The Brain

Up Dawson's Creek had a brief run in selected theaters.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 30, 2018, 11:37:36 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 30, 2018, 08:30:18 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 29, 2018, 07:36:05 PM
I guess that Caddyshack is one of those movies that Americans rave all over them and the rest of the world collectively shrug their shoulders, right?  :unsure:

Animal House being another one.

Fair enough.  But put the Blues Brothers on that list and you're dead to me.

The Blues Brothers were pretty popular over here. They even spawned tribute bands.

Funny story, the first time I saw it was after my parents taped it on TV. However, the tape ran out like 2 minutes before the movie actually ended - right when the cops and the army are besieging the building. So for something like 10 years or so I never knew how the movie actually ended - heck it didn't came out on DVD until the late 90s. It wasn't until the (shitty) sequel opened that I was able to catch a rerun on TV.

Liep

A Discovery of Witches was featured on HBO Nordic so I checked it out, pretty decent fantasy that is a little Young Adultish but with almost no young characters.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on October 30, 2018, 04:51:58 PM
A Discovery of Witches was featured on HBO Nordic so I checked it out, pretty decent fantasy that is a little Young Adultish but with almost no young characters.

Truly the best of both worlds. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on October 30, 2018, 05:23:34 PM
Quote from: Liep on October 30, 2018, 04:51:58 PM

Truly the best of both worlds. :rolleyes:

But does it have lesbian sex?

Syt

First screen test of Henry Cavill as the Witcher.

Looks like Legolas and Geralt had a baby.

Video: https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1057640842201055232
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.