And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 28, 2018, 09:11:14 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 28, 2018, 06:53:13 AM
I finally got to see Thor Ragnarok last night, as I never got to see it when it came out on cinemas. That was really fun! This Taika Waititi fellow is really talented for comedy, and the trippy 80s feel was great for the movie. Chris Helmsworth was also much better delivering silly stuff than I imagined, and Jeff Goldblum was even better than expected in a really campy role. Also, funny cameos during the fake play in Asgard at the beginning!

Overall, great fun!

If you like Waititi, watch What we do in the Shadows. It's great.

It's been in my "to watch" list for a while, I must push it forward.

celedhring

If you liked Ragnarok you'll love his previous films. Hunt for the Wilderpeople is his best one, imho.

Josquius

Yes, Ragnarok was awesome. Very pleasant surprise after the dark world 😴

And what we do in the shadows rules.
Can't wait for the follow up, whatever it ends up being.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Do you ever find a movie on the Netflix on the like, go "oh hey - I wanted to see this when it was out in the theatres"... and realize it came out five fucking years ago?

That's me and The World's End tonight.

The supposed end to whatever trilogy makes out Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

I had some laughs at it.  As a onetime fan I loved the laughs at the expense of The Sisters of Mercy.  The whole concept seemed kind of over thought all in all, and the movie as a whole was not as good as the predecessors (which I adore).  But it was funny.

But seriously - five years ago?  I thought it just came out...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2018, 12:32:25 AM

Sign that you're old.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on October 29, 2018, 01:13:15 AM

Sign that you're old.

Unfortunately I need little evidence of that...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Yeah, BB.

It just happened to me with the Imitation game.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

World's End is about people not accepting their age, so it's fitting.

Enjoyed it quite a bit, even if indeed it's probably the weakest of the cornetto trilogy.

Tonitrus

If it makes you feel better, I am binge-watching ST:Voyager right now.  I could have sworn it came out in mid-2000's.  Nope, 10 years too late.

crazy canuck

Dr. Who is starting to pick up.  Introductions are over, the companions have now joined the Doctor, the next episode will be a good idea of where the season will go.

Admiral Yi

The Larch

I guess that Caddyshack is one of those movies that Americans rave all over them and the rest of the world collectively shrug their shoulders, right?  :unsure:

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on October 29, 2018, 07:36:05 PM
I guess that Caddyshack is one of those movies that Americans rave all over them and the rest of the world collectively shrug their shoulders, right?  :unsure:

They do?

Wikipedia says it was a hit in Denmark so I guess Americans and Danes rave and the rest of the world collectively shrug their shoulders.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Animal House being another one.

Porky's and Up the Creek were huge when I was a kid, though.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 30, 2018, 08:30:18 AM

Animal House being another one.

Porky's and Up the Creek were huge when I was a kid, though.

I had to check which movie was "Up the Creek".  :lol: Aaah, the wonders of surreal Spanish titles of that era.