News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 27, 2018, 05:42:14 AM
Ozark's first season was good, haven't watched season 2 yet.

I see that by just looking out my window.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

There's a new Rocky vs. Drago film coming out. :bleeding:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Out of curiosity, I checked out Wolf Warrior 2 - China's top grossing movie of all time. An outcast former PLA spec-forces becomes a one-man army to save a bunch of relief workers from a shady mercenary company in an African country.

It's the Chinese equivalent of a 1980s Hollywood actioner. It has the cheese, the stupidity, the flag waving, the over the top action pieces, the cult of manliness and physical prowess.

Hopefully while China is in their 1980s phase they copycat the good 1980s blockbuster movies instead of just the cheesy ones.

Admiral Yi

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2018, 05:03:00 PM
Caddyshack!

:cool:

Good grief, ain't seen that in a while/decades.

iirc OK for it's time, much better than Porkies (?)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2018, 06:29:55 PM
It's a classic bitch!  :mad:

Yeah, maybe I should check it out again, Bill Murray and the goffer were good, as was the Jewish comedian* playing the owner(?)

*I've forgot his name, but didn't he die recently?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2018, 04:11:22 PM
There's a new Rocky vs. Drago film coming out. :bleeding:

In this one instead of a Soviet audience cheering Rocky it has an American audience that supports Drago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on October 27, 2018, 07:56:10 PM
Yeah, maybe I should check it out again, Bill Murray and the goffer were good, as was the Jewish comedian* playing the owner(?)

*I've forgot his name, but didn't he die recently?

Rodney Dangerfield.  Don't know if he died recently.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

I finally got to see Thor Ragnarok last night, as I never got to see it when it came out on cinemas. That was really fun! This Taika Waititi fellow is really talented for comedy, and the trippy 80s feel was great for the movie. Chris Helmsworth was also much better delivering silly stuff than I imagined, and Jeff Goldblum was even better than expected in a really campy role. Also, funny cameos during the fake play in Asgard at the beginning!

Overall, great fun!

FunkMonk

Looks like James Mangold's Boba Fett movie got axed. Disney wants to concentrate its bounty hunting on The Mandalorians TV show.

Pity because I'm a huge fan of Mangold and I was interested in seeing what he could do with the Star Wars universe. Hopefully this means he can turn to something more serious and thoughtful than Star Wars, though.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Larch on October 28, 2018, 06:53:13 AM
I finally got to see Thor Ragnarok last night, as I never got to see it when it came out on cinemas. That was really fun! This Taika Waititi fellow is really talented for comedy, and the trippy 80s feel was great for the movie. Chris Helmsworth was also much better delivering silly stuff than I imagined, and Jeff Goldblum was even better than expected in a really campy role. Also, funny cameos during the fake play in Asgard at the beginning!

Overall, great fun!

If you like Waititi, watch What we do in the Shadows. It's great.
Que le grand cric me croque !

celedhring

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 28, 2018, 08:28:49 AM
Looks like James Mangold's Boba Fett movie got axed. Disney wants to concentrate its bounty hunting on The Mandalorians TV show.

Pity because I'm a huge fan of Mangold and I was interested in seeing what he could do with the Star Wars universe. Hopefully this means he can turn to something more serious and thoughtful than Star Wars, though.

I was fairly uninterested in this until they got Mangold, and now I kinda regret not getting to see a Mangold Star Wars film. Although I doubt Disney would have allowed him to do something as crepuscular as Logan.