News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 19, 2018, 04:27:08 PM
From what I've seen of ncis and its derivatives, there's not much difference from law & order.  :P
they're all one step above General Hospital and Days of Our Lives.  Then again, Star Trek The Next Generation was the same and now it's looked at like a classic, so I'm not taking any chances :P

They're more action (as in, over the top, especially Hawai 5-0, don't know about Magnum PI, haven't watched the reboot) oriented than the Law & Order I remember from the 80s/90s, but I haven't watched a lot of that show.

I don't know why I keep watching NCIS, I find it mostly boring, yet I can't miss one of its hyper predictable episode.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Rear Window (1954)

One of Hitchcock's best.  I think the most clever scene comes when we see "Miss Lonelyhearts" line up all the sleeping pills, but then the camera focuses on Grace Kelly.  I think almost everyone feels anxiety at this point; underscoring that we're as much voyeurs as Jimmy Stewart's character.

The other part I thought was good is that Hitchcock uses the characters that Stewart is spying on to reveal his anxieties about his relationship with Grace Kelly.  Anxieties that, I think, are completely justified.  I don't think that was Hitchcock's least believable on screen pairing (Farley Granger and Ruth Roman deserve that for "Strangers on a Train" (though, to be fair, Farley Granger and Robert Walker in the same movie are one of his most believable couples)) but it's the relationship that I think is least likely to work out.

I saw this on the big screen.  Edith Head's gowns really shine through in that format.  I read that Edith wore those blue tint glasses in order to see how a dress would look in black and white.  I don't know what she did for color films.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Oexmelin

Quote from: Savonarola on October 25, 2018, 03:19:29 PM
I don't think that was Hitchcock's least believable on screen pairing (Farley Granger and Ruth Roman deserve that for "Strangers on a Train" (though, to be fair, Farley Granger and Robert Walker in the same movie are one of his most believable couples))

I don't think I ever saw Strangers on a Train. But Paul Newman and Julie Andrews in Torn Curtain do not work very well with each other either.
Que le grand cric me croque !

mongers

Are either 'Berlin Station' or the new Sean Penn Mars astronaut series worth watching?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Daredevil season 3: decent, but it's giving too many easy outs for the bad guys to drive the plot along. No fight scene has any consequence for named characters to the point that 20 hits to the face isn't noticeable because convenience.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

First Man - 80% of the movie is Ryan Gosling being inexpressive and an asshole in order to portray, dunno, something something inner pain. The rest are some fantastic space scenes. The Gemini 8 mission scene probably makes the whole thing worth it.

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on October 25, 2018, 03:55:01 PM
Are either 'Berlin Station' or the new Sean Penn Mars astronaut series worth watching?

I watched both seasons of Berlin Station; it's OK. Standard CIA-Mole-Conspiracy stuff. Ensign Ro is in it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Watched the first season of Berlin Station myself. Neither bad nor good, you'll like it if you dig espionage shows. Rhys Ifans is rather good in it.

Savonarola

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 25, 2018, 03:32:46 PM
I don't think I ever saw Strangers on a Train. But Paul Newman and Julie Andrews in Torn Curtain do not work very well with each other either.

I haven't seen "Torn Curtain," but in most of Hitchcock's films the romance subplot just doesn't work; usually either the couple isn't believable or the love story happens by fiat.  There are a couple exceptions; "To Catch a Thief," I think is plausible, largely because Grace Kelly plays her character a little nutty.  "Rear Window" isn't entirely implausible, but the characters are from such different worlds that it just doesn't seem likely that it's going to work out.  Jimmy Stewart says as much, and Hitchcock seems to as well in the final scene where Kelly puts down the book on the Himalayas to pick up Harper's Bazaar once Stewart falls asleep.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on October 25, 2018, 04:02:16 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 25, 2018, 03:55:01 PM

I watched both seasons of Berlin Station; it's OK. Standard CIA-Mole-Conspiracy stuff. Ensign Ro is in it.

Thanks Josephus, I'll give it a go for a while. can't be worse than the last season of Homeland that seemed to have jumped the shark rather.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on October 25, 2018, 04:18:20 PM
Watched the first season of Berlin Station myself. Neither bad nor good, you'll like it if you dig espionage shows. Rhys Ifans is rather good in it.

Thanks for that, Celed.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Savonarola on October 25, 2018, 05:59:19 PM
I haven't seen "Torn Curtain," but in most of Hitchcock's films the romance subplot just doesn't work; usually either the couple isn't believable or the love story happens by fiat. 

I think Torn Curtain is worth it if only for the murder scene. It stayed with me far longer than any other aspect of that movie.
Que le grand cric me croque !

dps

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 25, 2018, 07:28:28 PM
I haven't seen "Torn Curtain," but in most of Hitchcock's films the romance subplot just doesn't work; usually either the couple isn't believable or the love story happens by fiat. 

I think Torn Curtain is worth it if only for the murder scene. It stayed with me far longer than any other aspect of that movie.

I agree.  The rest of the movie is nowhere near Hitchcock's best work.

Savonarola

Beetljuice (1988)

Not much a performance by the greatest actor in the world; but otherwise a great deal of fun.  Tim Burton was wise to use Michael Keaton sparingly; he's only in the film for about 20 minutes, but any more than that and he would have become annoying. 

I saw this on the big screen; that allowed for some of Burton's weirder vision to shine through.  I especially like the scene in Sylvia Sidney's office where a group of skeleton's seem to be watching the film from... the other side. :o  Tim Burton may have made better films than this but I don't think he ever made a more Tim Burtonesque film (maybe Edward Scissorhands.)

celedhring

Quote from: dps on October 25, 2018, 08:25:55 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on October 25, 2018, 07:28:28 PM

I agree.  The rest of the movie is nowhere near Hitchcock's best work.

It's a bit like Frenzy, a rather average film (coming from him) with a genuinely shocking murder scene.